Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

As soon as a baby hears it's first voice it starts being "indoctrinated". People just get pissed when something is said that is contrary to their personal opinions. Home school can yield some of the most fiercely indoctrinated kids around. Nobody can deny it. I'm not saying it's all bad, like all public schools aren't all bad, but it's not a forumla for perfection by any means.

I hear a lot about liberal indoctrination...but what if your kid is just organically liberal? Or is a conservative bent the only possible way someone can be without indoctrination?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
As soon as a baby hears it's first voice it starts being "indoctrinated". People just get pissed when something is said that is contrary to their personal opinions. Home school can yield some of the most fiercely indoctrinated kids around. Nobody can deny it. I'm not saying it's all bad, like all public schools aren't all bad, but it's not a forumla for perfection by any means.

I hear a lot about liberal indoctrination...but what if your kid is just organically liberal? Or is a conservative bent the only possible way someone can be without indoctrination?
And those schools that force predominantly liberal views are not indoctrinating? Why is it that it's just good educational compliance when it's pro-liberal, pro-AGW, pro-union but fascist indoctrination when Texas schools or homeschools do not teach pro-leftist views?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And those schools that force predominantly liberal views are not indoctrinating? Why is it that it's just good educational compliance when it's pro-liberal, pro-AGW, pro-union but fascist indoctrination when Texas schools or homeschools do not teach pro-leftist views?
Because it's none of it "indoctrination" but a "battle of wills". Seriously. A kid in public school is not going to be tied to a chair to listing to something over and over until they are brainwashed. Have you BEEN in a public school classroom? Then they are with their parents the rest of the time, or other environment. If someone doesn't like what the school is saying they will say the opposite correct? So in reality there will be exposure to everything anyway. People have to use their brains to actually make a decision about what they believe, and I don't mean a 10 year old who probably still believes in fairies too, I mean as an adult who's opinion matters.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

I've never heard Marxism described your way.

At least when educated conservatively, the student learns math. And that leads to an understanding that you eventually run out of other peoples money under such systems.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Too bad that the public education system is nothing but indoctrination and all for political ends. It is sickening and why we homeschooled our children. I feel sorry for people who have to send their children to any public school in this country because that means that their children will not get a proper education, but will have good self esteem.
I can tell by your interesting post that your children are getting a well rounded, complete education....

Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
At least when educated conservatively, the student learns math.
You learn math in math class and it's part of the core curriculum. Math is math

Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Actually, many public schools are failing to teach children the basic tools to which they can then use to think for themselves. Instead of such core basics, they focus on concepts without the tools and then promote arrogance of individual accomplishment without measure. The result is sheepish masses ignorant of the topics and easily shaped to opinion through emotional conviction.

Massage an idiots ego and you can get them to agree with anything you wish. This is how social mobs are manipulated and why children are not taught to be self sufficient. Remember, individual is a bad word, community, group, etc... is the goal. There can be no individual thought in such groups as it creates distention within the ranks. All must think alike to achieve such cohesiveness and that requires poorly educated people who think they are better educated than those that do not think like them.
More BS from the paranoid right...

FWI, I taught public school for 37 years. My colleagues were politically diverse, but it didn't really matter because we didn't discuss our politics with our students.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM

521 posts, read 467,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am, starting homeschool in 6 weeks.
On homeschooling:

Are many parents qualified to teach Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, etc at home? I'm talking about high school aged students.

It's only because I was in AP Calculus in 11th and 12th grade and I don't think any of our parents could help us with the homework just my liberal brainwashed Calc teacher.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
In case you're wondering how homeschooled children actually stack up against public and private school educated children (instead of just opinion), here you go. I'm sure if I spent more than a few minutes looking for this information, I could find more. Personally, I would never homeschool because I don't have the patience. But, the premise that homeschooling leads to poor performance is not correct.

Quote:
Examining students at non-denominational Christian colleges and universities, Clemente (2006) compared the SAT scores of those who had been public-schooled, private-schooled, and homeschooled before their postsecondary studies. She found that the average SAT total score of the home educated ranked the highest, then the private-schooled average, and then the public-schooled mean ranked the lowest. She was not able, however, to control for some important background variables in the statistical analysis.

Chatmon (2006) also examined the SAT scores of those who had been public-schooled, private-schooled, and homeschooled who were attending private colleges and universities. She reported that although she found the scores of the home educated to be higher (in absolute terms) than those from the other two groups, the differences were not statistically significant.
State Regulation of Homeschooling and Homeschoolers (http://www.academicleadership.org/article/State_Regulation_of_Homeschooling_and_Homeschooler s_SAT_Scores - broken link)

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's not what they are teaching them. It is a well known fact that in THIS country the government is supposed to be run by the PEOPLE. I know they aren't teaching that anymore and that is the problem. What THIS is teaching is to become dependent on the government and become a useful marxist idiot.
Well, I stopped watching the video when the woman complained that her daughter was learning about the history of protest by the PEOPLE of this country.

If she wants to take away that power from her daughter and others, who's the Marxist idiot then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies