Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,754,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I disagree. A great man, who happens to be black, in the White House is very desirable. Barack Obama represents higher expectations for black people. He stands for the notion that high educational achievement is paramount if you want to even have a chance at participating in this society as an equal. I also think that he is a continuing reminder that in this society, supremely educated and articulate black people exist who are versatile, full of depth, capable, competent, dignified, and good. This reality makes your typical racist uncomfortable.

About the elevated debate about race, it is necessary. Nothing wrong with calling racist people, racist. Nothing wrong with calling people who oppose president Obama only because he is black, racist. Obama's presence in the White House brings the racial divisions that plague this country to the forefront and I find it entirely positive to put racists and their inferior view of the world on the hot seat, subjecting them to enormous criticism.
Then there is nothing wrong with telling the truth about all of you people who voted for Obama just because he is black and calling you racist. You can't have it only one way!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,889,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Then there is nothing wrong with telling the truth about all of you people who voted for Obama just because he is black and calling you racist. You can't have it only one way!!!
^ This. Absolutely.

I'll never forget when I was watching the inauguration at work with the security guard (black). I had mentioned something about Joe Biden and she became puzzled and said " Who Joe Biden? "

I'd also like to point out that this specific woman was very much campaigning for Obama as well. She even volunteered at her local voting area.

But I'm sure that's not racist of her, and it's actually racist of me for pointing that out.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,117,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh come on! the shoe throwing incident? Pleeeaasse! That man was obivious of middleastern decent, I guess if the man who was responsible for over 100,000 deaths in Iraq and the almost total destruction of his country and the reason that he does not have the things that he used to came and talked to you and your fellow countrymen like you were stupid ........would'nt you be a little pizzed off? Everybody and their mothers knew what the war in Iraq was about except the totally confused. Bush managed to pizz off half of the world, and ignore the other half. Here it just seems that President Obama just pizzed off the racist, republicans and some of the rich. There are a few folks that just don't like whatever he stands for, but are not necessarily racist.
My point was the Black man in my town saying he wished the man had killed Bush with his shoes. What did Bush do to deserve that kind of hatred from him? I criticize Obama and am called a racist. I never said anything about wishing Obama dead or anything like that. I have repeatedly said here and elsewhere that I was glad our nation came to the point that a Black man had a chance to be President, but that I hated that Obama was the one to win the office. I have voted for Blacks before & will not hesitate to do so again. Just not Obama.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM

24 posts, read 87,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
My point was the Black man in my town saying he wished the man had killed Bush with his shoes. What did Bush do to deserve that kind of hatred from him? I criticize Obama and am called a racist. I never said anything about wishing Obama dead or anything like that. I have repeatedly said here and elsewhere that I was glad our nation came to the point that a Black man had a chance to be President, but that I hated that Obama was the one to win the office. I have voted for Blacks before & will not hesitate to do so again. Just not Obama.
Maybe that "Black man in my town" was a racist. Or maybe he lost his job or less income or [fill in the blank] and was blaming that on Bush?

The thing that most folks who call racism, when Obama is being lambasted, are doing so because those outcries were there when he just got into office. Coming into office with one of the worst economies, wars raging, deteriorating infrastructure... What did he do - got to work with what he left with... Have you seen a public works project in your town? Streets being fixed? Bridges mended? etc... I have where I live. But the first outcries were what? Was he born here? Is he going to take healthcare away (that would be Bush wanting to hand over our public dollars to priviate companies - how did you like the melt down in Wall st or the housing market, priviate markets don't aways work best)... I can go on. But they were never fair attacks on him, not for the being on office for a year or less... And now its just a circus - Donald Trump, need I say more?

Anyhow, I say bravo to Obama for at least doing what he said he would try to do when he was campaigning for the job. Healthcare for all (not a bad idea seeing that government employees have the best care - that we pay for!), almost. Getting Bin Laden, check. Turn around the economy, almost there. etc.. the point being he is at least trying to get the job done. Bush just hired business friends, remember our friend from FEMA "Brownie"... and let's not forget the VP was CEO of Halliburton the very company that botched the deep sea oil rig's buildout that lead to the disaster in the Gulf. I am not naive, I'm sure there is the same on both sides - but its so glaring for the last administration...

All this meaning folks have had no reason to attack him in his first few months or call to question where he was born... etc. In doing so, for no real or good reason, and him being the first and only (to date) President of color... it does come off racist... and even more so when folks have come out of the woodwork that would never have cared who the President was are now up in arms for him doing exactly what other Dems (and Reps) have done for years...

Anyhow, my two cents.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,754,114 times
It seems that all the progressives have is a lot of "maybes", meaning that they can't refute what we say when we say many of them voted for Obama strictly because he is black, or somewhat black, or however you all are describing him these days.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:19 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,255,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
As a black man, it saddens me to say this. But Barack has blown it for future black candidates.......

After this grand experience, I believe many white indepedents will never vote for another black man as President....Democrat or GOP!

White folks are getting tired of being called racist whenever the other side can't come up with answers to issues or questions concerning this man or if they dislike his policies!! Did we not have people asking about Bush's grades? His military service? Dan Rather lost his gig trying to fake Bush's service record! Was that racist??? No! It was stupid! If Bush was black, would it be racist then? NO!

AND THESE ARE WHITE PEOPLE THAT VOTED FOR HIM!!!

I honestly believe that many would rather have a white guy they can criticize without the friggin' race card being played! I think there's a lot of buyer remorse out there.

We are so polarized right now! I've never seen it this bad in my life time.

Obama has blown it for the bruthas...
You raise an interesting point that I have seen used by Obama supporters. After criticising a policy decision of the president, you hear "well, you just don't like him because he is black."

We should be able to disagree with our president without being labeled a racist. Personally, I don't disagree with him a whole bunch. I even voted for him. But using the race card in response to criticism of Obama is just as nuts as this whole birther movement on the right.

Ironically, it seems it is the left that is not mature enough for a black president. Once the extreme lefties stop using the race card for someone critical of Obama, then we will be ready for another black president. I hope it is soon. Because the race of our leaders shouldn't be an issue.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM

13,624 posts, read 20,677,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
You raise an interesting point that I have seen used by Obama supporters. After criticising a policy decision of the president, you hear "well, you just don't like him because he is black."

We should be able to disagree with our president without being labeled a racist. Personally, I don't disagree with him a whole bunch. I even voted for him. But using the race card in response to criticism of Obama is just as nuts as this whole birther movement on the right.

Ironically, it seems it is the left that is not mature enough for a black president. Once the extreme lefties stop using the race card for someone critical of Obama, then we will be ready for another black president. I hope it is soon. Because the race of our leaders shouldn't be an issue.
Well said! Rep on the way.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,690,831 times
I dislike Obama because he is a hard left kind of guy. I do like what I hear coming from Herman Cain and if he continues to stand on what he stated last night, I would vote for him. I am sure some of you who like to throw the "racist" charge around for those of us who don't like Obama willl be calling Mr. Cain an Uncle Tom. He is a very good businessman and I think we need comon sense the next time around.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,378,271 times
We did prove one thing by electing a black president.
That a black can be just as lousey as any white at the job.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,271,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
ok <sighs> Lets try this again. If the man who you believed caused so much terror and destruction in your homeland stood in front of you and fed you some BS how exactly would you feel? Believe me more people feel that way towards Cheney/Rumsfeld than Bush.

No one said that you could not critiicize the president, it is just how and what you say that gives people the impression that you may be racist.

Example? Calling the president a monkey and protraying him and his family as one? How about having an adult conversation regarding his policies w/o name calling? I'm sure that you can tell the difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies