Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM

96 posts, read 195,232 times

Advertisements

I'm 28, most of my friends are around my age and the future of Social Security is not even a topic of discussion for us. Why? Because we know for a fact that it won't exist when our time comes. We've accepted that fact and moved on with our lives, planning accordingly.

And these same people already have as much money sitting in their various retirement accounts as their parents do, and in most cases more. See, we've always known that we'd be 100% responsible for funding our own retirement from the day we started working back in the early 2000's. We saw the writing on the wall and decided to do something about it.

Then again, I run in a pretty savvy and well-grounded crowd. I realize this is probably not the norm but many of us in my generation have already come to terms with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Sure, young people can be spoiled... Older folks said the same thing about us many years ago...

They kind of have a point though, it really isn't their debt.....
Did they vote?

Did any of them get fed college loans or grants?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM

96 posts, read 195,232 times
Good lord, the ignorance on display in this thread...

People keep mentioning government-backed student loans and young peoples supposed unwillingness to pay them back. What everyone seems to forget is that people with these loans have no choice but to pay them back. If a college student today has one of these loans, they have to pay it back! Unlike so many that have had the luxury of discharging all of their debts via bankruptcy (often times more than once), we can't just declare bankruptcy and get rid of these loans. They can't be discharged in a bankruptcy. There are two debts that the government will absolutely chase you to the grave for...tax debt and student loan debt.

So please, drop the student loan thing. We'll be paying that back no matter what.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
What a dumb question...asking kids to sign "a pledge" for $47k when their main concern is scrounging up enough beer money for he weekend.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
Good lord, the ignorance on display in this thread...

People keep mentioning government-backed student loans and young peoples supposed unwillingness to pay them back. What everyone seems to forget is that people with these loans have no choice but to pay them back. If a college student today has one of these loans, they have to pay it back! Unlike so many that have had the luxury of discharging all of their debts via bankruptcy (often times more than once), we can't just declare bankruptcy and get rid of these loans. They can't be discharged in a bankruptcy. There are two debts that the government will absolutely chase you to the grave for...tax debt and student loan debt.

So please, drop the student loan thing. We'll be paying that back no matter what.
You shouldn't call people ignorant when you don't all the details.

From Sept. 2010; "and more than 238,000 defaulted on their loans".

Student Loan Default Rates Increase | U.S. Department of Education

Even if the gov't goes after them there costs which are not part of their payback.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Their hero(s) have spent their future and now they want to renege upon the debt? They elected the people who drove us into deep debt and now they whine like spoiled babies... Typical of irresponible idiots in both DC and these people who haven't a clue of what's going on in the US today. If you said "world currency reserve" to them, they would look at you like you had two heads. Dopes, the lot of them, both in DC with some exceptions, and the general public, with some exceptions.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
What they should demand is what BUSH proposed a privatized retirement and health accounts that you... the ones who really work... pay into with a fair return on your money.This means abolishing the current system and create a new program.This will keep Uncle Sam from robbing it and you should receive monthly statement on your account and watch it grow like a 401k plan.Its your money use it when you need it.
President Bush proposed allowing people to divert just 2% of their contributions into private accounts.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
President Bush proposed allowing people to divert just 2% of their contributions into private accounts.
And mere seconds later, the LWNJs began bellowing that bush was trying to kill grandma

Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You assume that they are not chipping in on the premiums.

I think this is a good thing. I would like to see Social Security come up for a NEW vote. Why should FUTURE generations be held hostage to a govt program that they did not even vote for?
Every generation has said that for what, the last 75 years? I know I did a fed decades ago when I started working for a living. Ain't nothin' new.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I bet a whole lot of them don't think it's their debt because they're grabbing up all the financial aid and freebies they can. They are the problem not the solution.
WHAT?! You do realize that personal college debt has risen SIGNIFICANTLY over the past few decades...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies