Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I have been told by Congressional Insiders that there is no way America will be pulling any large number of troops out of Iraq anytime soon. Even if a Democratic Candidate wins the White House in 2008, there will be no troop pull out.

The dirty little secret is we need to stay for the next 5 plus years or more, why?

There are tens of thousands of Contactors in Iraq who need our support. They are a powerful group of Fortune 500 Companies who pretty much control Washington

Moving our troops out will increase the death of our troops because we can not fly most of them out with our billions of dollars worth of military equipment. If we leave just a few troops in Iraq they will be killed without the necessary support

It would take 2 years to move our troops and equipment out of Iraq anyway.

Every time we turn an area over to the Iraq Army after we fight to control it, chaos takes over. They are not trained or equiped to take over control without our help.

When Iraq falls control of its oil will fall in the wrong hands. The Middle East will go crazy when we admit defeat and withdraw. It would ruin the Global Economy.
------------------------------------------------
I, personally hate the war and wish we could get out, but know all the talk about withdrawal is just for politics. We will not be leaving Iraq for maybe 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 46,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
There are tens of thousands of Contactors in Iraq who need our support. They are a powerful group of Fortune 500 Companies who pretty much control Washington.
Perhaps Halliburton, the 35th largest defence contractor? Although a sizable company, not a real powerhouse like Lockheed, Boeing or General Dynamics. Who are these "tens of thousands of Contractors in Iraq?" If there is that much alleged influence there, let me know so I could add them to my 401K portfolio.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyj View Post
Perhaps Halliburton, the 35th largest defence contractor? Although a sizable company, not a real powerhouse like Lockheed, Boeing or General Dynamics. Who are these "tens of thousands of Contractors in Iraq?" If there is that much alleged influence there, let me know so I could add them to my 401K portfolio.
There is over 10.000 people in support of the war, civilians working for the US Gov on bases all around there. Truck drivers in country, bus drivers at bases around there. Troup transports on several bases are being handled by civilian drivers. I know, my fiance is over there. She has been over there for almost 2 years in Doha Qatar. She said the civilian population there is tremendous. She picks up troups that fly in at the terminal and takes them to various places on the base. Then when she's not doing that, she's running a shuttle around the base like a bus so people can go to commissary or bank or dental or medical, that sort of thing. She also transports people out in town. And that's just one base.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 46,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
There is over 10.000 people in support of the war, civilians working for the US Gov on bases all around there. Truck drivers in country, bus drivers at bases around there. Troup transports on several bases are being handled by civilian drivers. I know, my fiance is over there. She has been over there for almost 2 years in Doha Qatar. She said the civilian population there is tremendous. She picks up troups that fly in at the terminal and takes them to various places on the base. Then when she's not doing that, she's running a shuttle around the base like a bus so people can go to commissary or bank or dental or medical, that sort of thing. She also transports people out in town. And that's just one base.
10,000 individuals, not 10,000 contractors, 10,000 companies or 10,000 corporations as indicated by Dingler. Although your fiance is over there the over-all "big money" in defence is not made on contract labor but rather large complex weapons systems. If Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics or Raytheon were pumping out 1000s of weapons systems in support of this war effort (as in WW2) I would agree. Although the contractor effort in Iraq is no "small potatoes," there is no evidence anywhere that "Corporate America" is prolonging this war to make money.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have been told by Congressional Insiders that there is no way America will be pulling any large number of troops out of Iraq anytime soon. Even if a Democratic Candidate wins the White House in 2008, there will be no troop pull out.

The dirty little secret is we need to stay for the next 5 plus years or more, why?

There are tens of thousands of Contactors in Iraq who need our support. They are a powerful group of Fortune 500 Companies who pretty much control Washington

Moving our troops out will increase the death of our troops because we can not fly most of them out with our billions of dollars worth of military equipment. If we leave just a few troops in Iraq they will be killed without the necessary support

It would take 2 years to move our troops and equipment out of Iraq anyway.

Every time we turn an area over to the Iraq Army after we fight to control it, chaos takes over. They are not trained or equiped to take over control without our help.

When Iraq falls control of its oil will fall in the wrong hands. The Middle East will go crazy when we admit defeat and withdraw. It would ruin the Global Economy.
------------------------------------------------
I, personally hate the war and wish we could get out, but know all the talk about withdrawal is just for politics. We will not be leaving Iraq for maybe 10 years.

You are right. If the US pulls out like it did in Vietnam, the whole region will erupt into war and millions will die.

I think most reasonable Americans know that and that is why Hillary (a pro-war Democrat, despite her rants to the hard left) is surging in the polls and why extremist Obama is losing ground.

I am telling you, despite Obama's show on "let's get out now", his generals won't let him do it. It could trigger a world war, man. All these nutcase countries in the region would all go to war all at once.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
10,000 individuals, not 10,000 contractors, 10,000 companies or 10,000 corporations as indicated by Dingler. Although your fiance is over there the over-all "big money" in defence is not made on contract labor but rather large complex weapons systems. If Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics or Raytheon were pumping out 1000s of weapons systems in support of this war effort (as in WW2) I would agree. Although the contractor effort in Iraq is no "small potatoes," there is no evidence anywhere that "Corporate America" is prolonging this war to make money.
I didn't say they were prolonging the war. Did I? I simply stated that there were that many people that I knew of. Why twist what I stated as "There is no evidence that Corporate America is prolonging this war to make money." How did you get that out of what I said?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
You are right. If the US pulls out like it did in Vietnam, the whole region will erupt into war and millions will die.

I think most reasonable Americans know that and that is why Hillary (a pro-war Democrat, despite her rants to the hard left) is surging in the polls and why extremist Obama is losing ground.

I am telling you, despite Obama's show on "let's get out now", his generals won't let him do it. It could trigger a world war, man. All these nutcase countries in the region would all go to war all at once.

What??????????????????????? If we pull out people die if we stay people die whats the difference. The truth of the matter is that Iraqi's won't stand up and fight for their country. THEY LOST THE WAR THEY WON"T FIGHT. We already won. Those nutcase countries won't go to war because their economies are too fragile and oil dependent. More rethuglican/neocon spin.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
There is a reason Amerikkka is building a fortress in what was
Bagdad. When chief liar Snow talks of "interests in the region" and
"splitting oil revenues" what do you think he is talking about ?
If we pull out, there will be fighting, another Saddam will
gain control, all will be well. If we stay, the fighting will last
as long as we are there. Eventually our ppeople will be getting
killed with the very weapons the chimp is going to arm our enemies
with.
Leave immediately, apologise and pay the money Halliburton is
stealing as reperation money to the new government. Contritely plead
to the world that a Bu$h will never, ever happen again, here.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 PM

45 posts, read 100,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
All these nutcase countries in the region would all go to war all at once.
Could you be more specific as to which countries are the "nutcases" ? Also, what characteristics makes them "nutcases" ?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Although the contractor effort in Iraq is no "small potatoes," there is no evidence anywhere that "Corporate America" is prolonging this war to make money.
"Corporate America:" Better known as the Capitalists. There is a huge difference between Capitalism and Free Enterprise. One opposes any form of government regulation or oversight/accountability while the other espouses it.

Aren't these the people who Marx is talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies