Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
All of us have heard of the so-called 'epidemic' of diabetes. As I recall, since the 50s, Americans have been gorging on sugar-sweetened cereals, sodas, candy-bars, and other sweet foods and beverages, that can keep your blood sugar sky-high.

So why has there been a sudden diabetes 'epidemic', within only the past 20 years or so? If diabetes is a disease of obesity, then why do I keep running into all of these thin people, who tell me that they've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? Two friends of mine, say they were diagnosed with type 2 diabetics; but one weighs only 98 pounds, and another weighs only 110 pounds. They are both SKINNY!

I believe that the medical establishment has a high incentive, to diagnose people as diabetic, whether they really are or not. This is due to the fact that the pharmaceutical industry, has taken over the field of medicine, since the 90s. The pharmaceutical companies, give doctors and hospitals boat-loads of money, to prescribe their particular medications.

Also, look at all of the commercials for prescription medicines, that have appeared on TV in recent years. I don't ever remember seeing these kinds of commericals, before the 90s. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, to figure out that the pharmaceutical comanies, REALLY want to push their medications on the general public.

I realize that the medical professionals, also have a big incentive to fraudulently 'diagnose' their patients with other diseases besides diabetes, such as arthritis, heart disease, high-blood pressure, depression, etc., etc. All of these conditions, are typically managed with some sort of medcation.

But, many of the other conditions that I mentioned, occur only in middle and old age. But a 'diagnosis' of diabetes can seem credible to the parents of a child, especially if that child is already overweight. So I take the 'diabetes epidemic' as being a fraud, which is perpetrated by the medical establishment, and especially by the greedy pharmaceutical companies.
Artwomyn, you're one of seemingly few who isn't blind to what is going on. And it is much bigger, of course, than diabetes. It is the entire medical/pharmaceutical industry and it has become nothing but one shakedown after another, praying on people's worst fears. A collective fraud unequaled in the history of man.

One cannot possibly turn on on TV or radio, or pick up a magazine or newspaper and not see the extent to which the drug pushers invade every conceivable corner of our daily lives in an attempt to get their hooks into every last individual.

But most of this thread is the answer to why they are so successful. What you are trying to say here is plainer than the nose on anyone's face, but most have their hands over their ears and their eyes tightly shut. And that is, in a nutshell, why we have the crisis in "health care" costs that we struggle with today.

Reps to you!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,546 times
Great post ElkHunter at 12:03 pm yesterday.

We ate less processed food years ago. I recall during the midwest blackout some young folks didn't have manual can openers. The electronic age of today has slowed down physical activity among the young and old.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,546 times
Quote:
You could turn to natural ways to control your health issues, if you really have a health problem, instead of prescribed medications.
High BP is nothing to mess with.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
The reason more people are living with diabetes is because fewer people are dying from it. If we have pharmaceutical companies to thank for that so be it.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The reason more people are living with diabetes is because fewer people are dying from it. If we have pharmaceutical companies to thank for that so be it.
I guess you're just another person, who has blind faith in the pharma companies. I feel sorry for you!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, doctors can still lie to patients about lab test results. Perhaps there should be some sort of over the counter test kit, that a person could could use to mesure their AIC levels. If so, people wouldn't have to worry about a possible lie from a doctor.

As I mentioned, the general public should have some level of skepticism, about the medical establishment.
one thing doctors tell their patients that are diagnosed with diabetes is to check their blood sugars at least twice per day, often times more. when i was first diagnosed, my doctor had me check my sugars four times per day, later on another doctor told me twice per day, eventually a third doctor told me three times per day. the reason for all this is so that the patient, who is supposed to be recording these sugar readings, can tell what their body is doing in the morning, as well as before and after meals, and to adjust their medication accordingly.

there are some things that are NOT to be trifled with, high blood pressure and high or low blood sugars are two of them. high blood pressure can cause heart attacks and strokes, high blood sugars can cause diabetic coma and even death, and low blood sugars can cause diabetic shock, and death.

as for medications, there is a reason that there are many different medications on the market that do similar things, for instance actos, avandia, glipizid, glimiperide, and meformin all help the body use insulin. each of these medications have their side effects, and each have differing levels of effectiveness. for instance i was put on actos for a while after i got out of the hospital, and one of the side effects of actos is edema. for most people it is mild, though for some, like myself, it can be severe. glimiperide and glipizid are similar medications, but one is less aggressive than the other.

it is the patients responsibility to let their doctor know what is going on so that medications can be changed, either in dosage, or going to a different medication altogether as each person responds to medications differently.

people that get into serious problems with medications are usually the ones that either dont tell the doctor what issues they are having after starting the meds, or dont tell the doctor that any problems are on going.

and while there are a few doctors out there that flat out lie to their patients, they usually get weeded out and have their medical licenses revoked. the first pledge doctors take is "first do no harm". the vast majority of doctors follow that pledge. if you dont trust your doctor, then find a new one that you can trust, or get a second opinion. in the end YOU are responsible for your health NOT the doctor.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
There are some incompetent doctors out there. There are some greedy doctors too.
There are doctors who order too many unnecessary tests. There are doctors who pooh pooh what patients tell them and don't order enough tests. There are doctors who misdiagnose patient's symptoms. There are doctors who whip out the prescription pad at the drop of a hat. There are doctors who prescribe whatever the pharmaceutical reps are pushing this year instead of older, more tested drugs.
But to say doctors intentionally tell healthy patients they have diabetes and prescribe drugs that would lower normal blood sugar and put them into a coma is sheer paranoia, and it's a little scary that people would agree that this even makes sense.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one thing doctors tell their patients that are diagnosed with diabetes is to check their blood sugars at least twice per day, often times more. when i was first diagnosed, my doctor had me check my sugars four times per day, later on another doctor told me twice per day, eventually a third doctor told me three times per day. the reason for all this is so that the patient, who is supposed to be recording these sugar readings, can tell what their body is doing in the morning, as well as before and after meals, and to adjust their medication accordingly.

there are some things that are NOT to be trifled with, high blood pressure and high or low blood sugars are two of them. high blood pressure can cause heart attacks and strokes, high blood sugars can cause diabetic coma and even death, and low blood sugars can cause diabetic shock, and death.

as for medications, there is a reason that there are many different medications on the market that do similar things, for instance actos, avandia, glipizid, glimiperide, and meformin all help the body use insulin. each of these medications have their side effects, and each have differing levels of effectiveness. for instance i was put on actos for a while after i got out of the hospital, and one of the side effects of actos is edema. for most people it is mild, though for some, like myself, it can be severe. glimiperide and glipizid are similar medications, but one is less aggressive than the other.

it is the patients responsibility to let their doctor know what is going on so that medications can be changed, either in dosage, or going to a different medication altogether as each person responds to medications differently.

people that get into serious problems with medications are usually the ones that either dont tell the doctor what issues they are having after starting the meds, or dont tell the doctor that any problems are on going.

and while there are a few doctors out there that flat out lie to their patients, they usually get weeded out and have their medical licenses revoked. the first pledge doctors take is "first do no harm". the vast majority of doctors follow that pledge. if you dont trust your doctor, then find a new one that you can trust, or get a second opinion. in the end YOU are responsible for your health NOT the doctor.
I just hope that for your sake, you are cautious about doctors and medications. Best of luck to you

Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few years ago. I am also heavy (think of Santa) and seem to be addicted to starchy foods. My sugar levels are mostly under control by switching from sugar to Splenda and reading labels to see how much sugar is in the can. I will occasionally take a metformin if I have really overindulged in sugar laden foods. I mean how can you be polite and not eat any of the wedding cake? I have to be very careful with this drug because if my sugar level is below 150 taking a Metformin will put me into insulin shock in an hour or so. I think my biggest diet change was to limit my alcohol consumption to 2 drinks per week.

I think there actually are more people with diabetes and the "epidemic" is not just a function of industrial greed and too much advertizing. I would prefer that prescription drugs not be advertized because these require a lot of knowledge to accurately prescribe. Let Big Pharma advertize to the Doctors instead of uninformed TV viewers.

I agree that taking care of my own health is my responsibility and it is past time to get with the program.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There are some incompetent doctors out there. There are some greedy doctors too.
There are doctors who order too many unnecessary tests. There are doctors who pooh pooh what patients tell them and don't order enough tests. There are doctors who misdiagnose patient's symptoms. There are doctors who whip out the prescription pad at the drop of a hat. There are doctors who prescribe whatever the pharmaceutical reps are pushing this year instead of older, more tested drugs.
But to say doctors intentionally tell healthy patients they have diabetes and prescribe drugs that would lower normal blood sugar and put them into a coma is sheer paranoia, and it's a little scary that people would agree that this even makes sense.
How would you always know if a doctor is competent and ethical, until it's too late? As I mentioned, I had almost died, because of the massive incompence of some doctors, when I was hospitalized for a severe throat infection.

I had completely put my trust, in those doctors. I only wish that I had had some skeptisism, beforehand. Questioning the diagnoses and treatment recommendations of doctors, is being wise, NOT 'paranoid', as you claim. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies