Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for safety reasons? Some parents disagree, they think they should have the say so when thier kids can drink, when they can drive, etc. As for marriage laws: last I heard marriage was between one man and one woman, cut and dry...if this is to be changed to read; one guy and another guy or whatever let this be done by the states. I will add, our gay daughter would disagree with you: she is in favor of equal rights, of course believes gay couples should have legal rights and be able to share in all decisions, but she says, marriage is between one man and one woman.

Nita
ONE......we see your screen name.......you don't need to sign your posts every freakin' time too!!!!!

Who cares what you "heard"....what an immature and frankly stale/tired argument.

Last I heard this country stood for freedom and equality OR is that only for you and people who "think" like you?

Well I'm gay....been with my patrner over 28 years....longer than most hetero marriages, and I want to get hitched!

Your supposedly gay daughter does not speak for me and/or every LGBT person! And she does not get to dictate who gets what in our society nor do you......

To the OP.....I think gay civil unions will be allowed on a federal level before all these states mentioned allow it. Equality must come from across the board.....some states cannot be allowed to discriminate while others move forward.

That's like making slavery legal in some states and illegal in others......and we had a Civil War over that.......slavery would still exist in some states without federal intervention.

Equal rights must apply to all states in the Union.

This pick and choose stuff is not going to get LGBT citizens the equality they deserve......IMHO.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ROFL..........calling the kettle black aren't we.....you lost my respect long ago by your willingness to rationalize anything(despite being presented scientific facts) to push your agenda.
Examples?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So if I want interracial marriage to be illegal in my state, because blacks and whites mixing is an abomination to God, that's cool with you? No hate involved right?
What does race have to do with homosexuality?

Disagreement does not automatically mean "hate." Don't you understand that yet?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ONE......we see your screen name.......you don't need to sign your posts every freakin' time too!!!!!

Who cares what you "heard"....what an immature and frankly stale/tired argument.

Last I heard this country stood for freedom and equality OR is that only for you and people who "think" like you?

Well I'm gay....been with my patrner over 28 years....longer than most hetero marriages, and I want to get hitched!

Your supposedly gay daughter does not speak for me and/or every LGBT person! And she does not get to dictate who gets what in our society nor do you......

To the OP.....I think gay civil unions will be allowed on a federal level before all these states mentioned allow it. Equality must come from across the board.....some states cannot be allowed to discriminate while others move forward.

That's like making slavery legal in some states and illegal in others......and we had a Civil War over that.......slavery would still exist in some states without federal intervention.

Equal rights must apply to all states in the Union.

This pick and choose stuff is not going to get LGBT citizens the equality they deserve......IMHO.
we wall have every right to post our views, you have yours, I have mine and I will continue to do so. You want to get hitched as you put it: fine, our daughter has been with her partner 18 years and doesn't really care as long as civil unions are recognized, so what is your point? She and I have a right to our views and every right to post them, wouldn't you agree?

It is still a state issue as far as I am concerned.

Nita

Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Examples?
Because you post with an agenda instead of trying to seek the middle ground while debating.....I still honestly have respect for you....otherwise you'd be on my ignore list. .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 04-30-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
we wall have every right to post our views, you have yours, I have mine and I will continue to do so. You want to get hitched as you put it: fine, our daughter has been with her partner 18 years and doesn't really care as long as civil unions are recognized, so what is your point? She and I have a right to our views and every right to post them, wouldn't you agree?

It is still a state issue as far as I am concerned.

Nita
Well it's a federal issue as far as I'm concerned.

Stop playing with semantics.......

You mean to tell me you'd vote for gay Civil Unions......I call BS......

I don't care what (control freak folks) you want to call it; as long as I have access to the same rights that you have....call it civil unions.....if that makes YOU happy.

But I guarantee you....... people will ask if I am married and NOT if I am "Civil Unionized".

Sounds like I have a government job with a union affiliation.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Congratulations on the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:[list][*]Massachusetts[*]Connecticut[*]New Hampshire[*]Vermont[*]Iowa[*]District of Columbia
For the sake of length I am clipping this, but I have to ask (as I havent read each and every post on this thread) how many of these states actually put it to a popular vote?

If the legislatures or judiciciary mandated it without popular support from the voters, then it doesnt matter a fiddlers damn as to actual acceptance. So until that happens, I wouldn't parade it as a victory.

I am glad to see that Texas was on the list of those states which will never accept a gay union as "marriage" in the traditional sense. I never will and will say so for the record.

Yeah, I know. But dont give a damn...that I will be called a homophobe or bigot or whatever. Big deal.

I will just say I have a few good friends (both on-line and real time) who are gay. They are what they are and what they do does not bother me one whit. They are good people and I would be the first to stand up for them as friends. But they know where I stand on this particular issue, and all is right with the universe.

The thing is, it seems to me, is that the "gay rights" crowd cannot tolerate anyone who disagrees with them. It is not anymore ok to tolerate, they just demand outright acceptance and will shout down and personally attack anyone who disagrees with them.

Guess what? I disagree. Homosexual marriage is not the moral equivelent of the traditional marriage between a man and woman, and further? A child needs a man and woman to be properly nurtured and raised...thus, homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt children. Never did nature say one thing and wisdom another.

I hasten to add that gay people can be good and loving parents in their own right. No problem there at at all. One of those gay friends I mentioned earlier was a father by a marriage and was as loving a daddy as could be.

But that is not the same as that two gay people in a partnership should be allowed to adopt (or artificially concieve) a child and raise the child in an environment that is totally un-natural. No matter how well intentioned, two women cannot give a boy-child the right sort of guidance and understanding when he starts to become a man. Likewise, no two men can possibly relate to a young girl having her first period and her breasts start developing.

The idea otherwise is almost obcene in its own right. To paraphrase DeToqueville, "a preposterous meddling in the works of nature..."

Gimme hell. I am prepared for it. I am a homophobe, I reckon. Whatever. I stand by what I said.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
The gay marriage debate is a distraction. I don't personally care that they get married, but of all the issues that require legislative attention - deficits, war, taxation - the fact that America wastes legislative time on issues like this is a sure sign of its decline.

The American press was wafting the same stench of decay this weekend: over 300 dead from tornados this week and the headlines were "Will Kate Middleton wear her hair up or down?"
You have it backwards, without civil rights, nothing matters.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
For the sake of length I am clipping this, but I have to ask (as I havent read each and every post on this thread) how many of these states actually put it to a popular vote?

If the legislatures or judiciciary mandated it without popular support from the voters, then it doesnt matter a fiddlers damn as to actual acceptance. So until that happens, I wouldn't parade it as a victory.

I am glad to see that Texas was on the list of those states which will never accept a gay union as "marriage" in the traditional sense. I never will and will say so for the record.

Yeah, I know. But dont give a damn...that I will be called a homophobe or bigot or whatever. Big deal.

I will just say I have a few good friends (both on-line and real time) who are gay. They are what they are and what they do does not bother me one whit. They are good people and I would be the first to stand up for them as friends. But they know where I stand on this particular issue, and all is right with the universe.

The thing is, it seems to me, is that the "gay rights" crowd cannot tolerate anyone who disagrees with them. It is not anymore ok to tolerate, they just demand outright acceptance and will shout down and personally attack anyone who disagrees with them.

Guess what? I disagree. Homosexual marriage is not the moral equivelent of the traditional marriage between a man and woman, and further? A child needs a man and woman to be properly nurtured and raised...thus, homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt children. Never did nature say one thing and wisdom another.

I hasten to add that gay people can be good and loving parents in their own right. No problem there at at all. One of those gay friends I mentioned earlier was a father by a marriage and was as loving a daddy as could be.

But that is not the same as that two gay people in a partnership should be allowed to adopt (or artificially concieve) a child and raise the child in an environment that is totally un-natural. No matter how well intentioned, two women cannot give a boy-child the right sort of guidance and understanding when he starts to become a man. Likewise, no two men can possibly relate to a young girl having her first period and her breasts start developing.

The idea otherwise is almost obcene in its own right. To paraphrase DeToqueville, "a preposterous meddling in the works of nature..."

Gimme hell. I am prepared for it. I am a homophobe, I reckon. Whatever. I stand by what I said.
The problem is that straight people think they are allowed to have an opinion and make rules or laws regarding sexual relationships. Why on earth should a straight person make decisions regarding a gay person's ability to have a legally binding contract with another person of the same sex? This doesn't even enter the arena of religion. I'm talking about gay marriage legalized by the state. This is NOT the Christian States of America. It is the United States of America. Republicans need to stop confusing their Bible with the Constitution.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
This is a states issue cut and dry. How do you explain state having different laws on the legal age to marry for instance or the speed limits? What right does the federal government have to set legal age for drinking or driving? Sorry, you can believe what you want, I am a supporter of gay rights but I still say there are many things, including gay marriage that is up to the states. We are not talking legal unions or rights to medical information, etc, we are talking marriage...There is a big difference.

Nita
It should be federal, even in states for example that have legalized same-sex marriage, they still can't file joint tax returns. That is just one of the issues, but full equality will not happen until its legal federally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies