Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,912,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanaceaHero View Post
The things in bold are the problems that you should see with it.

Who is "they"... I'm sure a lot of people that will never use the stadium or never cared for a stadium in the first place were FORCED to pay for it.

Who is "they" again? Since when should majority rule be triumphed over an individuals right to his labor's rewards?

And lastly, if it was profitable it would've already been done by private enterprise. And even if there is profit to be made, the gov't has certain limited roles, none of which include profitable business enterprises.
Who is they? Read the link

As for the arenas being profitable, this is not a business enterprise, its an enterprise that generates TONS of money to the region, and the school districts.. Thats a fact..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,654,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Said the member who has the word "evil" in his status.

No anger there. I just recognize government for what it is.

And by the way, it's part of a quote that has been around for over 200 years.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I guess high school football is more important than graduating students who can conjugate an irregular verb.

Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
This is why 12th graders in Holland can speak 3 languages and some Texans consider Trump Presidential.

There you go with your apples and oranges comparison.

Millions of Texas students learn more than one language. And guess what, they are too young to vote and couldn't care less about Trump.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Americans obsessed with their sports. While the people of Allen Texas rally around their high school football team and sports teams they can sleep well at night knowing that only less than 1% of their graduates will ever go on to do anything lucrative with sports or athletics. Meanwhile a high school in India or Sweden is spending millions on a new science or dare I say it..........MATH LAB..........ughhhhhhhh math is like sooooooooo 1990s........
You really don't understand the role of sports in the lives of high school kids, do you?

It has nothing to do with preparing them for a career in the NFL. It's all about enjoying life, getting exercise and learning team skills.

So I'm sure the residents of Allen Texas will sleep well at night knowing that their children are learning math, science, geography, history and team sports. They know that there is more to life than academics.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,346,026 times
"The stadium alone is going to generate considerable revenue for the community," Helvey told CNN. "A lot of people may not understand this, but that revenue goes right back into the whole fund for the teachers. It doesn't go directly to the football program."

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,508,005 times
Great, 60 million to help football players and lets cut billions for everyone.

What a terrible example to set to kids.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,769,374 times
Quote:
I thought Texas considered themselves fiscal conservatives.
Only when it comes to things like math, science, reading, etc. They don't need any of that fancy book larnin' when they have important stuff like football, guns, and the Bible!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,769,374 times
I've always wondered why high school sports exist in the first place. I'm a big sports fan, but it seems kids get by just fine playing in privately-funded leagues as younger kids, but why do sports become the responsibility of the taxpayers when kids get to high school? I think high school sports should be scrapped and teenagers can play in private leagues just like kids in Little League baseball, youth football, soccer, etc.

I know in my area, tons of money is blown on HS sports, especially football....the state is talking about significant cuts to education funding, and there's all this talk about cuts to programs like after-school tutoring, full day kindergarten, etc....but not to the almighty high school football. These football teams around here are playing multi-million dollar facilities (but nothing as extreme as this stadium in Texas), yet we're going to cut academic programs?? Schools are supposed to exist for education, not for sports. But God forbid the old 30 and 40 something Al Bundys around here can't wear their old letter jacket from 25 years ago, brag about scoring 4 touchdowns in one game, and guzzle Coors Light on Friday game nights....

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM

376 posts, read 294,938 times
There is also a little thing called "No Pass - No Play" which is the only reason some of the kids even show up in math class. It provides a lot of motivation for some kids to make some level of effort in class. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.....unless you can pull him from the lineup if he doesn't.

BTW - Friday night HS football is a TEXAS tradition. That's what we do here and it's none of anyone elses business how we spend OUR money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies