Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

New political era begins as Tories win majority, NDP grabs Opposition - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-on-cusp-of-majority-as-ndp-becomes-opposition/article2006635/ - broken link)

Quote:
Canadians handed the Conservative Party its long-sought majority in a game-changing election that made the NDP the Official Opposition, destroyed the Bloc Québécois and humbled the Liberals.

The Liberals were on track to be reduced to the lowest seat count in their history, leading or elected in just 35 seats.
Weren't the Liberals the party that pushed the no confidence, forcing an election on the Harper government?

Quote:
The Conservatives’ popular vote edged up to the 40-per-cent mark, continuing the steady growth of the last three elections.
This seems to be the trend in both Canada and the US, based on the HISTORIC election of 2010. Now Canada just had their very own historic election.

I love, love, love this.

This is wonderful to see - another Liberal party, thrown to the curb by the voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
New political era begins as Tories win majority, NDP grabs Opposition - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-on-cusp-of-majority-as-ndp-becomes-opposition/article2006635/ - broken link)

Weren't the Liberals the party that pushed the no confidence, forcing an election on the Harper government?

This seems to be the trend in both Canada and the US, based on the HISTORIC election of 2010. Now Canada just had their very own historic election.

I love, love, love this.

This is wonderful to see - another Liberal party, thrown to the curb by the voters.
I got a feeling you're gonna hate hate hate 2012!

Have you always been subject to these violent mood swings?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't focus on labels. Both Canadian Liberals and Conservatives are left of US Democrats -and both can be credited with sound fiscal management and lowering the deficit. The NDP -who displaced the Liberals for second place - are further left and would be considered pinko-commies by US standards.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Don't focus on labels. Both Canadian Liberals and Conservatives are left of US Democrats -and both can be credited with sound fiscal management and lowering the deficit. The NDP -who displaced the Liberals for second place - are further left and would be considered pinko-commies by US standards.
I think the NDP are like the British Liberal Democrats and Liberal are the same as Labour but not so much to the left. Seems like Canada's Tories are to the right of Britain's, but your leftist parties are not as extreme as the UK's. I could be wrong, especially with the NDP, but yeah.

Nobody can compare our right-wing to yours, but I would say the Democrat Party here is a conglomerate of your Tories and Liberals. I think by US standards, your Tories are centrists for the most part, but I heard that specifically Alberta Tories are similar to Republicans.

What really surprised me was the fact that the Liberals were kicked to the curb, long been one of the 2 major parties and a 3rd party, the NDP, actually is the 2nd largest now. Course now lets see if people don't have buyer's remorse like they do about the Lib Dems in the UK, which turned out to be a highly overrated party that'll probably fall back to 3rd place again in the next election.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think the NDP are like the British Liberal Democrats and Liberal are the same as Labour but not so much to the left. Seems like Canada's Tories are to the right of Britain's, but your leftist parties are not as extreme as the UK's. I could be wrong, especially with the NDP, but yeah.

Nobody can compare our right-wing to yours, but I would say the Democrat Party here is a conglomerate of your Tories and Liberals. I think by US standards, your Tories are centrists for the most part, but I heard that specifically Alberta Tories are similar to Republicans.

What really surprised me was the fact that the Liberals were kicked to the curb, long been one of the 2 major parties and a 3rd party, the NDP, actually is the 2nd largest now. Course now lets see if people don't have buyer's remorse like they do about the Lib Dems in the UK, which turned out to be a highly overrated party that'll probably fall back to 3rd place again in the next election.
Do you see that the multi-party system is very weak as far as running things is concerned? All this discussion about who is the farthest either direction tells me more about what I always say about that kind of democratic system.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you see that the multi-party system is very weak as far as running things is concerned? All this discussion about who is the farthest either direction tells me more about what I always say about that kind of democratic system.
That's the problem with 3rd parties and a Parliamentary system. It's good to have multiple parties but, of course, it has its drawbacks. One of them is lots of fights and multiple elections. We have a more efficient, system of government than countries with a Westminster parliament but it has less checks and balances, I think. I don't understand the reasoning behind making the president both the head of state and government

Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's the problem with 3rd parties and a Parliamentary system. It's good to have multiple parties but, of course, it has its drawbacks. One of them is lots of fights and multiple elections. We have a more efficient, system of government than countries with a Westminster parliament but it has less checks and balances, I think. I don't understand the reasoning behind making the president both the head of state and government
Who holds those jobs in the UK? I talk with an Aussie very often and he tells me the same things about their multi-party system. That kind works well when you have a parliamentary government but we sure don't need it in our Presidential system although some would like to see it. Divide Congress three ways and watch it fall apart. I guess we must change our Constitution in order to satisfy our people, but I am totally against it.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
awsome glad I voted after work first the US get osama now harper has a majority the only thing that could make this even better is if the Vancouver Canucks win the stanley cup

this was been one heck of a wild ride of good news after good news in less than 24 hours

Proud to be Canadian and pround to have the best next door neighbours, best friend an allies in the world The united states of america.

I feel that north america is on a big time come back for the first time in a I while I feel positive in our recovery and direction seems we are only heading upward and regaining our power.

these are some good times after some real hard, tough times so tonight we party

all I can say North america is back and keep on rocking in the freeworld

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-03-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who holds those jobs in the UK? I talk with an Aussie very often and he tells me the same things about their multi-party system. That kind works well when you have a parliamentary government but we sure don't need it in our Presidential system although some would like to see it. Divide Congress three ways and watch it fall apart. I guess we must change our Constitution in order to satisfy our people, but I am totally against it.
Same here. I like our system, but the ONLY thing I don't like about our system, is that we can't kick our president out as easily as they can remove the prime minister in the British Commonwealth countries. If we had that power like Canada has, Obama would have been out on his ass a year after he was elected

Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
You do realize that Canadian conservatives have nothing in common with their Republican counterparts. If you think that the majority of Canadians hold positive views of the Republican Party, then perhaps you need to read the sentiments concerning US politics on their news sites. Alas, you forgot to mention that the NDP who gained official opposition status are left of the Liberal Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies