Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times

Advertisements

I looked at your first link; it says that Obama watched the killing but stated that the woman was bin laden's wife, which now is considered incorrect.
It makes me doubt the entire article. How can the writer can be wrong about one thing but correct about another?

Seems like speculation to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the closest thing from that link:

Reports have suggested that Mr Obama saw the moment when Osama bin Laden was shot in the left eye.

I am not willing to stake out a position that he didnt see that or that the werent getting "helmet cam" type video.

I dont think that is the case and I think I heard the feed was from cameras outside the compound.

regardless, it is impossible that all information would have been accurate early in the process.

After Action reports are done for a purpose.
Panetta: President Obama Couldn't See Bin Laden's Death, but Received 'Geronimo' Signal | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

Panetta told Lehrer neither he nor President Obama watched the actual shooting of bin Laden as it happened.

there was a time period of almost 20 or 25 minutes that we really didn't know just exactly what was going on. There were some very tense moments as we were waiting for information. But finally Adm. [William] McRaven came back and said he had picked up the word 'Geronimo,' which was the code word that represented they got bin Laden," he said.

When Lehrer asked if bin Laden said anything to the commandos, Panetta said: "To be frank, I don't think he had a lot of time to say anything."

Panetta: President Obama Couldn't See Bin Laden's Death, but Received 'Geronimo' Signal | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Panetta told Lehrer neither he nor President Obama watched the actual shooting of bin Laden as it happened.

there was a time period of almost 20 or 25 minutes that we really didn't know just exactly what was going on. There were some very tense moments as we were waiting for information. But finally Adm. [William] McRaven came back and said he had picked up the word 'Geronimo,' which was the code word that represented they got bin Laden," he said.

When Lehrer asked if bin Laden said anything to the commandos, Panetta said: "To be frank, I don't think he had a lot of time to say anything."

Good some clarification. EVERY article I found said they watched it.

Seals were debriefed, they know what happened and how the events went down. Nobody should say anything till the facts are all in. Then no need to change reports.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
So the White House modifies OBL account. So what? Jesus Christ, this is something to criticize? Absolutely absurd.

What will not change is that this is a defining moment in the first term of the great president Obama. It was the most gutsy move of any US president in recent memory. The president directed this move, and OBL is dead. This is what counts.
Clearly they had a briefing with the people on the ground and clarified some details. Big deal? Why would it be?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Hmm let me think how this might change my mind about anything, considering it was a kill mission from the start.

I'll have to get back to you on that.
Could you explain how legally the US government can authorise to kill someone without standing trial?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Obama knows all too well that no kind of proof will satisfy the right wing loonies.

So what is the point of doing anything to placate the implacable?
The truth will satisfy, but the WH is already changing stories. Kinda hard to believe much of what they say in the first place, since Obama does lie on a day to day basis.
I know that there is classified information that we "common" folk are not to know about, but changing stories already, please, we are not all that stupid. We can handle the truth, despite what Jack says.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
The truth will satisfy, but the WH is already changing stories. Kinda hard to believe much of what they say in the first place, since Obama does lie on a day to day basis.
I know that there is classified information that we "common" folk are not to know about, but changing stories already, please, we are not all that stupid. We can handle the truth, despite what Jack says.
Obama is bouncing things all over the stage for a personal bounce politically, but with $5 gas, high unemployment, Obamacare closing down small businesses and getting people fired, I don't see much relief for THE ONE in sight for long.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
By your methodology, President Nixon landed us on the moon in one year after Kennedy and Johnson FAILED to do it for 10 years.
Just like Bush, Johnson got distracted and wasted the nation's resources on a stupid, meaningless war. A war he'll forever be identified with lousing up.

Quote:
I propose legislation to rename the "Kennedy Space Center" to the "Nixon Space Center".
Good luck with your "bill."

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

419 posts, read 758,181 times
Default Good riddance to bin Laden!

Who cares if he was unarmed and shot in the head? It certainly was a kinder death than what he afforded the victims of 911. Plus, he had a nice burial with all of his body parts intact. Not so for most of the victims of 911.

It was probably a "kill" mission from the very beginning and the mission was carried out brilliantly.

It appears that Obama finally came to realize that you cannot negotiate and befriend terrorists. It is wonderful to know that OBL was not on Obama's new best friends list. Whew!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you explain how legally the US government can authorise to kill someone without standing trial?
It could be argued that UN Resolution 1368 covers the authorization, depending on wording interpretation.

SECURITY COUNCIL CONDEMNS, ‘IN STRONGEST TERMS’, TERRORIST ATTACKS ON UNITED STATES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies