Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
NAFTA was a republican bill drafted under Bush,..Not to mention the far right today selling out the american people by shipping jobs to communist China and filibustering every bill the democrats introduced to stop it.
Shipping jobs to other countries has been going on since before NAFTA> Supporting NAFTA was very much the Democrats doing, are you saying Bush SR was responsible? Were the Republicans or Democrats in charge of congress during the Bush days? Was there a debate on TV after the passage or about the time of the passage of NAFTA between Perot and Gore, with Gore taking the side of NAFTA? Can you now tell us Bush is responsible for NAFTA?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I seriously question the figure of seven million starving. My family lived through the Great Depression and made no mention of mass starvation. Hard times, yes. Starvation, no (They did talk about the tragic loss of half a million lives during the Spanish Flu epedemic in 1918). For one thing there was a community spirit of charity and sharing in those times. Mom would tell me of jobless people coming to the door asking to do any odd job for a sandwich, and they'd always try to help them out. I asked my dad about life in the GD and all he would say was: "You could buy a hamburger for 5 cents, but nobody had a nickel...".
ITA with this.

Also, don't understand the correlation between deaths during the Great Depression and running out of UE benefits today. Dying and being without a government paycheck are nowhere near the same or even close to being linked together. People losing UE can apply for foodstamps and still eat and can get housing assistance, unlike back in the Depression. Also, they can go out and get a job. I don't believe all that "there are no jobs" sob stories. Especially in the area I live in (metro-Atlanta). A friend of my husband's stayed on UE until it ran out purposefully, he was enjoying the free money and didn't have the burden of a family since he is single. Within two weeks of not having money he went and got a job at Walgreens.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
I seriously question the figure of seven million starving. My family lived through the Great Depression and made no mention of mass starvation. Hard times, yes. Starvation, no (They did talk about the tragic loss of half a million lives during the Spanish Flu epedemic in 1918). For one thing there was a community spirit of charity and sharing in those times. Mom would tell me of jobless people coming to the door asking to do any odd job for a sandwich, and they'd always try to help them out. I asked my dad about life in the GD and all he would say was: "You could buy a hamburger for 5 cents, but nobody had a nickel...".
My grandmother was a young women during the depression.

She rented a house in Detroit with three other young women for $5 a month.

They worked at the Detroit Supper Club and had a great time

She told me Bob Hope and many other famous people came in there and tripped very well.

I guess you just have to make it work.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hiring illegals and buying products from Mexico are two totally differnet things. Now, you are holding the Republicans responsible for hiring illegals, are you saying Democrats never do and if so, where are you getting your facts?
I believe it is our present government that would love to see total amnesty.

Nita
NAFTA was a done deal BEFORE Clinton took office. It was delay from Canada that pushed the sign off on Clinton's lap or else HW Bush would have signed it. And guess who were opposed to NAFTA... no it wasn't the republicans. The opposition came from the democrats, and Clinton had a few provisions included before signing off.

If, as you try to present that republicans are the ones against NAFTA, then perhaps republicans would be up for its repeal and have done something about it since... 1994?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My grandmother was a young women during the depression.

She rented a house in Detroit with three other young women for $5 a month.

They worked at the Detroit Supper Club and had a great time

She told me Bob Hope and many other famous people came in there and tripped very well.

I guess you just have to make it work.
My GF's grand mother is turning 100 in July. She was about 20 at the time, growing up in North Texas, and no, GD wasn't a time to celebrate by ANY stretch. She doesn't think we're anywhere close to it right now, but she feels the pain and, yes, she hates the "conservatives" for dragging the country into very similar policies that she was seeing around her.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
None of our family or their friends died during the depression unless it was due to old age. My dad worked his way through college, supported a new baby and wife and graduated in 2932. His first job certainly wasn't in his field but he found one. My mother's family members were as poor as church mice, but they too found work somehow. This goes for my inlaws. Never was my father in law out of work, he struggled, he worked assemblyline but he worked.

Nita

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
You mean the liberal policies of G. W. Bush in 2008?...
The same policies Obama seems to be embracing...ya think?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The same policies Obama seems to be embracing...ya think?
List a few.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
NAFTA was a done deal BEFORE Clinton took office. It was delay from Canada that pushed the sign off on Clinton's lap or else HW Bush would have signed it. And guess who were opposed to NAFTA... no it wasn't the republicans. The opposition came from the democrats, and Clinton had a few provisions included before signing off.

If, as you try to present that republicans are the ones against NAFTA, then perhaps republicans would be up for its repeal and have done something about it since... 1994?
I did not say the REpublicans were against NAFTA, where did I say that? I said they did not control congress right before or right after NAFTA. I don't think either party was oppossed to it completely, My point is: don't blame Bush Sr for NAFTA and don't blame the unemployment rate or the resession on NAFTA. That is just nuts.

Nita

Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Please give us a link on the 7 million died during the great depression.
Yes I'd like to see that one.

Since the Great Depression lasted so long thanks to FDR's policies that kept it going, I woud assume a lot of people died who would have died anyway. They got old, or they got in car accidents. People are always dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies