Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times

Advertisements

(sound of running feet)

Hey, that's good news. So, 53 percent of Detroit is literate? Yeah!

(Sorry I am so late to this thread. I hope that my joke was not already made. I did not have time to go through all the pages, since the joke was literally trying to burst out of my skin, akin to Alien, if I did not immediately post it. If this joke has already been made, my apologies. If not, then it should have been).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the civil rights movement of the 60's ended all that.
So 50 years later where are we ?

How many generations of Blacks since the 60's have not had these barriers ?
Black kids entering school today have more opportunities than some of their counterpart middle class White kids to attend college due to government money.

It's NOT money because the money is there for any that want to make use of it.
Right because 50 years is ancient history. Right because people who are in their 20s now don't have parents that are 50 years old. Because as we all now the past has no bearing to the present. Of course everybody knows that if your grand parents were had wealth that doesn't have any bearing on success...

No.

Black kids entering in schools are affected by the fact that their parents did not have the same opportunities. It's pretty basic.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
They're all poor. I would guess that poor white areas in West Virginia or elsewhere in Appalachia have similar reading challenges.
The big difference is that the city school systems have vast sums of money pumped into them, rural areas do not

Still, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, for the state of West Virginia, McDowell County has the highest percentage of adults without basic literacy skills at 22 percent.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Right because 50 years is ancient history. Right because people who are in their 20s now don't have parents that are 50 years old. Because as we all now the past has no bearing to the present. Of course everybody knows that if your grand parents were had wealth that doesn't have any bearing on success...

No.

Black kids entering in schools are affected by the fact that their parents did not have the same opportunities. It's pretty basic.
Neither of my parents nor my grandparents went to college.
Me and my siblings are the first in my family line to graduate college and all of us had to do it on our dime. My father had a blue collar job so we didn't grow up in the suburbs. Heck..I didn't have my own room till I moved out. 5 kids, 2 adults in a 3 bedroom apt in NYC.

2 of us did it on the GI bill.
3 did it on student loans.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:

No.

Not their "parents" because many of their parents are in their 20's in these schools. Try grandparents or even great grandparents.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:

No.

Oh dear God. Blaming this on something that happened 50+ years ago, again?

You don't see Asians blaming their problems on past discrimination.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

it is all they have. They have been brought up to see themselves as victims and that they can't ahead no matter what all because of whitey. It is BS of course but they have some excuse for the fact that refuse to accept personal responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

Every race has discrimination in their past. Yet they all overcame it and most without government help and their succeeding generations were each better off.

Bill Cosby has stated quite well what the problem is and pissed off many community leaders.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
it is all they have. They have been brought up to see themselves as victims and that they can't ahead no matter what all because of whitey. It is BS of course but they have some excuse for the fact that refuse to accept personal responsibility for their own actions.
It's not really just a "refusal to accept personal responsibility." If you're brought up in a ghetto, that's all you know, there is nothing to aspire to within your view of the world. They see generation after generation all living the same way with not enough role models to show them the way out, that there is a better way to live. It takes a good education to open up the world of possibilities and a good education is not the norm in ghetto areas. The riots of the 60s did help build the ghettos in Detroit because after the riots newer areas became walled communities, drawing clearer lines between the haves and the have nots.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's not really just a "refusal to accept personal responsibility." If you're brought up in a ghetto, that's all you know, there is nothing to aspire to within your view of the world. They see generation after generation all living the same way with not enough role models to show them the way out, that there is a better way to live. It takes a good education to open up the world of possibilities and a good education is not the norm in ghetto areas. The riots of the 60s did help build the ghettos in Detroit because after the riots newer areas became walled communities, drawing clearer lines between the haves and the have nots.
This is nothing but BS and has already been proven wrong by the ones that do make it out and better themselves. Try again but this time don't use your progressive lies like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies