Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A very pertinent point, actually. If car insurance salesmen got the bright idea that the DMV line consists of people who own and/or operate vehicles and are bored, should we be OK with them working the line? I'd say no.
What if he stands outside, on public property, not obstructing traffic nor interfering with DMV business, and hands out business cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
It will get worse. People have no idea. The New World Order is when the clock starts ticking down.

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 1 Thessalonians 5:3

Do some research to what is coming down the pipeline. Don't claim ignorance.
Oh, we're playing duelling Bible quotes? Here's a good one: "And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward."

Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I just would have gotten my own megaphone and shouted back at him all my lovely thoughts about his bible. Two can play.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What if he stands outside, on public property, not obstructing traffic nor interfering with DMV business, and hands out business cards?
I'd hate to be the judge deciding that - depends on specifics, I guess. Is he taking advantage of people standing in line and not being able to move away? If it's just in passing, I guess he's no different from a Jehovah's witness offering pamphlets.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'd hate to be the judge deciding that - depends on specifics, I guess. Is he taking advantage of people standing in line and not being able to move away? If it's just in passing, I guess he's no different from a Jehovah's witness offering pamphlets.
The man reading the bible was not INSIDE the DMV. He was outside, and was not obstructing traffic nor interfering with DMV clientele. He was reading aloud. Two other men, belonging to his church, were standing by him while he read.

I often like to read books aloud. Sometimes that's the best way to appreciate the cadence of the author's rhythm and the author's particular style. If I'm in a public park, I shouldn't be prohibited from reading aloud. If I'm in my car at a shopping center, I shouldn't be prohibited from reading aloud.

I do think that these men were not innocently reading aloud, but essentially demonstrating when they staged this. But I don't think the CHP actually had grounds to arrest them. To question them, yes. To check with the city about the city's particular ordinances regarding assemblies and demonstrations, yes.

Some people have pointed out that they would not be allowed to do this in a courtroom or even in the hallway outside a courtroom, and that's correct, because doing so would impede courtroom proceedings, or obstruct foot traffic in or out of the courtroom, and that's not permitted.

But I suspect these three, prior to demonstrating, actually researched the city ordinances, and probably followed the law to the letter. Even up to measuring the exact distance from the DMV's entrance. I've seen similar churches where I live actually do this at polling sites, drawing chalkmarks on the pavement to let church members know exactly how close they can get to the doorways to protest without breaking the law.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM

398 posts, read 818,677 times
Would it make a difference if it was a union protesting for wages or such? What is defined as public property? Were the protesters in Wisconsin inside the congress building? Do you not think there were people that had to go to work there and forced to listen to the protesters affirming their rights that not necessarily all agreed with? Did it bother some people? Were some of the protesters obnoxious?

Old 05-06-2011, 03:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
They need a service provided by the DMV. Not able to walk away if you need it quickly.

If the DMV was better funded with more employees and more locations and people had choices in location than sure, they could leave and go somewhere else.

But they don't.
Riverside County has a number of DMV offices. They could leave and go somewhere else. Plus, standing in line there won't get anything done quickly. Nothing ever gets done quickly at a California DMV.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Riverside County has a number of DMV offices. They could leave and go somewhere else. Plus, standing in line there won't get anything done quickly. Nothing ever gets done quickly at a California DMV.
I disagree, it is clear that if you insist on acting like a dbag by harassing people at the DMV, you will get arrested very quickly.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Default Calif Pastor arrested for reading Bible in DMV parking lot

And so it starts........

They are religious zealots for reading the bible before the DMV starts!
Should have gotten a permit etc etc. They are discussing it now on the news.

The video shows Mackey standing in the parking lot a few feet from the sidewalks surrounding the entrance to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The audio picks up the idle chatter of those waiting in line. According to the 13-page complaint, the trio began sharing the gospel at 8:10 a.m. nearly an hour before the DMV opened.

Mackey read from the Bible for a moment or two when he was approached by a security guard, who told him, “You need to go somewhere else.” Mackey said he was going to continue to read. The security guard walked away. At that point, the video is clearly edited for time, but resumes with Mackey still reading from the Bible as a CHP unit arrives in the background. According to the complaint, officer Damen Meyer arrived about 15 minutes after the guard confronted Mackey. In the distance, the officer can be seen talking briefly with the security guard before he approaches Mackey from across the parking lot.

Calif. Pastor arrested for reading Bible in public

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
From your link:

Quote:
When asked why he was being arrested, Meyer responded, “You’ve been asked to leave. You didn’t.”
No, he was arrested for trespassing.

Reading comprehension 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies