Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
He resigned in disgrace. I'd say that was taking responsibility.
No, he was a ChickenSh*t who ran when he was about to be held responible. No points for you or him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaturaccioli View Post
what good's shooting his pen gonna do? :d
lighter than air?

Head

Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, he was a ChickenSh*t who ran when he was about to be held responible. No points for you or him.
I'm saying that his perfidy cost him.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Funny. At some point I thought I was gonna be the one to compare your posts to gasseous emissions.
Compare all you like, from what I've read I think your posts are more comparable to solid emissions

Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And why should I question his experience, since he did his tour over there? I do in fact know what I'm talking about, because my WIFE WENT TO THAT SCHOOL, or did you miss that convenient little fact?! For someone who calls themselves an aging hippy, you seem to be quite angry a lot! Did we overdose a little bit on too much peace and love in the 60s? GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD... ACTING LIKE A THUG AND SMASHING WINDOWS, THROWING ROCKS, AND COMMITTING ARSON IS NOT PEACEFUL PROTESTING! Your arguement that burning a building just because it was going to be torn down is weak! It's STILL ARSON, and arson can be quite dangerous to others, as well as surrounding buildings! I will take Sol11s side on this, because it seems he is being the most logical. Both sides were wrong! It was wrong to get involved in Vietnam! It was also wrong on the part of protesters to act like a bunch of bafoons! And, no I'm not labeling EVERY student there as a vigilante or a bafoon! What happened to those that died was a travesty in EVERY WAY! My heart goes out to them, and their families, as well as my sympathy! However; I would not feel the same way had the actual perpetrators that started the violence been shot!

At the time, I was surprised that the guilty guardsman weren't hunted down, killed, and delivered to Mayor Daly's office desk.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that his perfidy cost him.
Stop the excuses already and stop defending the POS! He ducked responsibility. You know, that action you feign such dishust for when accusing others of the doing it?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
good grief. come on Progs. you guys won! you are the only generation to force America to lose a war. quite crying about it.

bunchacrybabycowards.
Well Ferd, it was the progressives the got us into that quagmire, I guess it should have been them to get us back out of it.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Eisenhower sent advisors. Who first sent troops in?

There's no convincing an old-fashioned anti-antiCommunist of anything, so entralled are they to their cognitive dissonance, so I'll not waste time here.
I apologize if this has already been answered. Johnson sent the first ground troops in.

Vietnam

Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Once our involvement (illegal and denied by Nixon) in Cambodia became public, there were protest on campuses and in cities across America...only at Kent State were protesters killed by the National Guard or any other agency. Please...enlighten me on the violence of the peace movement. How many National Guardsmen or police were killed? How many anti-war dissenters were armed? People who assembled peacefully to address their grievances with our government, codified in our Constitution and legal, were met with billy clubs and tanks, or jeeps with barbed wire screens on the front to push back the crowds. That is the point at which rocks were thrown and resistance began, not the opposite way around. Nothing justifies the killing of unarmed protesters. Had the protesters in Florida in 2000 been clubbed and shot, the right would still be screaming. For those who find amusement or disdain on this thread, I pity you. Such callousness reveals an ugly side of America, and exemplifies the very reason that the tragedy at Kent State needs to be remembered. For those who profess to be Christians, remember the beatitudes..."Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God." Know that there was a religious element at virtually every demonstration against our involvement in Viet Nam, including nuns and priests and ministers. After 40 years, we know that in some instances there were as many covert government agents as there were members of anti-war groups. And in terms of draft dodgers, just look back at Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove and Limbaugh...they weren't part of the peace movement, but they sure managed to keep themselves out of harm's way. Why didn't your heroes enlist? It took courage to take a stand against Viet Nam, but none to get a deferment or to criticize those who were trying to bring our troops home. Burdell and chielgirl and others here are heroes for standing their ground and providing links to the tragedy...kudos and thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
The shootings were "unwarranted" only in your eyes. I tire of explaining the FACT that there were mistakes made on both sides of the situation,....a FACT you dismiss, but cannot defend.

And,...I've had the loss of a loved one killed for no good reason. I've gotten passed it after thirty-odd years. Why can't you after 40?
No, not just in one other poster's eyes. The shootings were unwarranted in a lot of people's eyes. I think many members of "the greatest generation" were thanking God it wasn't their own kids who got shot, and didn't look too favorably on the ONG shooting into an unarmed crowd of students. To call killing four people a "mistake", is not putting the responsibility where it should be.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies