Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Yes, but he is 1,000,000,000,000,000% better than Pelosi!!!!!
In the words of Donald Rumsfeld,"based on what metric?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I know it's cognitive dissonance that's at the root of the problem, however, your detailed description of how and why it works the way it does is so good that I had to bookmark it.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Thanks!!
You're welcome.

I'd like to add another layer that your example of a smoker brought to mind. Having been a smoker myself, I didn't doubt the research, think lower tar (or menthol) lowered my risk, or any such dismissal of the evidence. I simply didn't care. I wasn't sick, I was perfectly healthy. I might not ever get sick. Lots of people smoke and die of old age. So I don't care if eventually I might get cancer or heart disease or emphysema. I take care of myself. I eat right, I exercise regularly. It's not happening to me, so why should I care?

I think many suffering from Cognitive Dissonance on economic issues just don't care. They make a good living. Everyone else they know makes a good living. They could never lose their house or get sick. They've saved some money, they don't use credit cards. It's not affecting them, so why should they care?

The difference is, the only one I was hurting with my selfish attitude was myself. Not so with voodoo economics adherents. And that's what's troubling.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Jill,
I don't think you example is Cognitive Dissonance, since it's not bending facts to form a pre-conceived view, which is necessary for the definition. Your example is apathy. College students don't care about life insurance because it's not relevant to them.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
In other words this is Boehner's ticket out of real fiscal cuts. We don't raise the debt ceiling but keep every last bloated wasteful program.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
In other words this is Boehner's ticket out of real fiscal cuts. We don't raise the debt ceiling but keep every last bloated wasteful program.
Then we'll need $730 billion in new taxes or $730 billion in spending cuts immediately.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What a stupid question.

The Federal Highway System
The Hoover Dam
The Louisiana Purchase
"Seward's Folly", or the Purchase of Alaska
The Transcontinental Railroad
Entering WWII and participating in the Liberation
Financing Ground-Breaking Medical Research
The Federal Aviation Administration
NASA

Just to name a very small handful.

This notion that the federal government is worthless or useless is not only absurd on its face, but it's dangerous to the future health and strength of our nation.

As for Boehner, he's a schm***. His ridiculous House members already passed an increase in the Debt Ceiling in their obnoxious 2012 Budget. And said Budget did not contain trillions of dollars in cuts without the complete destruction of Medicare and Medicaid; an issue which they've already conceded on.
OK, name something that has been funded in the last 100 years. As for NASA, Obama's killed it

Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

OK, name something that has been funded in the last 100 years. As for NASA, Obama's killed it
Actually, no.
  1. Several items already on the list meet your criteria
  2. You don't really give a sh**
  3. Off topic
  4. Waste of time
Take your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies