Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

I don't read anything into the results. I just summarized the article I had read on spiegel.de

Anyway, I am not sure what to think of such independence efforts, be it in Scotland, be it in Catalunya... It's not like there is oppression or anything like that.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the World->UK forum? I don't see any connection to the US.

Last edited by Neuling; 05-06-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
8. The Conservative vote held but did not increase significantly.
This result, that Conservatives held their seats, directly contradicts pretty much the rest of your bullet points.

Labour benefited mainly from the thumping given to the Liberal Democrats, not at the expense of Conservatives.

People are angry that benefits and the nanny state can no longer afford to be funded by the taxpayers and the run up to that nanny state was done by Liberals, not conservatives.

I think I'll listen to the analysis of those in the know;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...s-worst-losses

Rather than your speculation, with no link, or anything else to back up your claims.

Election results 2011: Lib Dems suffer worst losses in a generation

It is NOT a coincidence that yet ANOTHER country has tossed the tax and spenders on their ears. US, Canada, UK, and others.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
T
Election results 2011: Lib Dems suffer worst losses in a generation | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Rather than your speculation, with no link, or anything else to back up your claims.

Election results 2011: Lib Dems suffer worst losses in a generation

It is NOT a coincidence that yet ANOTHER country has tossed the tax and spenders on their ears. US, Canada, UK, and others.
Huh? The Liberal Democrats support cutting the budget not tax and spend as they are in coalition with the Conservatives.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
This result, that Conservatives held their seats, directly contradicts pretty much the rest of your bullet points.

Labour benefited mainly from the thumping given to the Liberal Democrats, not at the expense of Conservatives.

People are angry that benefits and the nanny state can no longer afford to be funded by the taxpayers and the run up to that nanny state was done by Liberals, not conservatives.
More nonsense.

The Conservatives need to increase their vote if they are to win an absolute majority at the next general election. The status-quo does not help them.

If Labour hoovers up the Lib-Dem voters then they will get an absolute majority at the next general election. That does not benefit the Conservatives. A strong Lib-Dem party is of more benefit to the Conservatives because it attracts left of center voters away from Labour.

How many times do you have to be told ...... the Libs/Conservative coalition is the first time that the Lib-Dems have been in government since WW1. So how can they be responsible for the "nanny state"?

The Conservatives held power in the UK for more than 25 of the last 50 years. They own more responsibility for the "nanny state" than the Liberals who held power for zero years.

Your link says pretty much the same thing I have been trying to explain to you. Did you read it?

I can appreciate that you have a limited understanding of British politics and the British electoral system but at least try to do some very basic research before posting Google is your friend

Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't read anything into the results. I just summarized the article I had read on spiegel.de

Anyway, I am not sure what to think of such independence efforts, be it in Scotland, be it in Catalunya... It's not like there is oppression or anything like that.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the World->UK forum? I don't see any connection to the US.
It is politics. Since when was this forum US only?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is politics. Since when was this forum US only?
Well, it was always my impression that the politics section is directly or indirectly about US politics. I have seen threads on British politics, for instance on the monarchy, the IRA etc., in the World->UK forum, so this seems a bit inconsistent to me.
Anyway, it was just a remark, feel free to ignore it

Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
A thoroughly misleading title that doesn't really explain the REAL story.

Which would be - another country tossing out liberals/democrats for the mess they have created with their tax and spend out of control government.

Election results 2011: Lib Dems suffer worst losses in a generation | Politics | guardian.co.uk

The trend continues. Conservatism on the rise.

Did you even bother to look at the results, or just thought putting that out there (FALSE) would go unchallenged.

The economic and fiscal policies that are being REJECTED is the tax and spending of the liberals.
You are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies