Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,585,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wood pulp..that's the "added fiber". I kid you not.
I went food shopping today and everytime I saw a box with "fiber" on it I thought of chopped up trees being molded into the food we eat
After reading this article..I'll never view "fiber" in a healthy way again.

15 Food Companies That Serve You 'Wood' - TheStreet
Added "fiber" then is what we use to put around the azaleas. I guess that is what made them bloom so pretty. Not so sure what it would do for people though..humm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You could always do some container gardening.
I've thought about that too. That way, I can carry them with me, when I leave.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Thanks, more for us.

Maybe the point is starving people around the world should wait for natural mutations and accidental cross-breeding to improve the quality of cows.

"The Myostatin gene was discovered over one hundred years later. It is this gene, that occurs naturally in all mammals, that restricts muscle growth. However, in the case of Piedmontese cattle, the gene naturally mutated resulting in the unrestricted muscle development known as double-muscling. In fact, muscle development in Piedmontese cattle averages 14 percent higher than in most other breeds. The Myostatin gene also helps to provide the consistent tenderness of Piedmontese beef."

History

Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 AM

111 posts, read 91,581 times
that video made me crave steak at a late hour... FU, OP.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,345,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Have you ever heard of Big Boy tomatoes, I'm just curious if you have? (My grandpa use to cross breed, tomatoes and roses. Not with each other...ha)

What he (X) tells me is that the neighbor has built his yard up to higher ground and has put in a system so that, rain water, will flood this backyard. That is on the right hand side though. The left hand side, I've been looking at real hard lately.
There isn't allot of shade to that area. I remember our garden my father tilled in our old homestead. There wasn't any shade to that one either. In fact, I believe that is why my father had picked that spot.

From my mother's side of the family (east Texas) I come from I was raised on the fresh farm vegetables of our extended family. Those folk's produce I'm sure is being shipped all across America and into Canada I'm sure. I'd tell the name of the Orchard, but then that would be telling of who I am. I was raised in the rose capital of Texas and that's as much as I will say about that.

As a child, I trotted behind my grandmother and I am familiar with a hoe and how to use one, as she would say, here, I need a row. And I'd get busy. The experience is there, but the kind of life and living arrangements are not as of yet, that I could re-familiarize myself with what I learned many decades ago.

One thing I did not learn from grandmother though, is how to can the fruits and vegetables. I remember some of what she did in prep work, but the finish out part in that hot kitchen, I stayed outside where it was cool. Then she'd show up with a bushel of purple hull peas and there went break time. "Draw you up a chair, here in the shade." she'd say.

We had fruit trees, but the apple tree, she had to finally chop it down. It had some kind of worm, that nested in the trunk and she could not get rid of them. Just an add of caution...I'm sure there is a solution now, that she did not know of then.

Any way, what I'm saying is for me times changed. Life choices, depicted the change to where I can no longer, even though I still live here, I can not go home. Home for me is 40 years back in time travel. The future? I can only hope.

PS: I can still cook a mean, a really mean, blueberry cobbler...grandma's recipe, of course. I can also do a better 'county time lemonade', commercial than the ones they air on TV, today, or pepperidge farm, remembers....
Oh, yes. It's a large slicing tomato, good for sandwiches and "fried green tomatoes". I make a mean fried green tomato that is a staple on our table from mid July through early October! I grow a variety of beefsteak, romas and cherry tomatoes, a few heirlooms too, like oxheart. My favorite romas are San Marzano, they make a great pizza sauce. I have a good friend who has a large fifth generation nursery, so I get all my flats from her - it's cheaper than, say, Walmart, and I know where the plants come from.

Learning to can is a little tough, I had the help of a farmer's wife and I studied up on it a lot. If you have a county extension, you can get all kinds of agricultural pamphlets that are a big help. I both can and freeze my produce. I sell a lot of it at my daughter's health food store in summer - even though it is not technically "organic", the customers like it because I do not use pesticides. I've worked on local farms the past several summers, and the farmers love to answer questions and help anybody who is generally interested. (I worked for one for a short time who was really wacko, but that's another story!)

Container gardening would be a good start for you - also maybe a small raised bed? You would be amazed what can be grown in a small space. Also, please don't lose the grasp you have on the past - I think those of us who still have that are going to be the ones better off in the times ahead. Good luck to you!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,462,828 times
That cow has bigger muscles than I do.

[yikes!!]

Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,586,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That cow has bigger muscles than I do.

[yikes!!]

You dang city slickers!!

Those are not cows, they be bulls. They have balls. A cow is the female of the bovine.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,586,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"When you see this, all you can think about is lunch."

All I could think of was "Ew, ew, Ew."

YouTube - Meet the Super Cow

USDA Outsources Research As Seed Industry Seeks Faster Review (http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201105031202dowjonesdjonline000 308&title=usda-outsources-research-as-seed-industry-seeks-faster-review - broken link)

.... program is in part a response to President Obama's request to cut 5% from the USDA's budget, he added.

Opponents of biotech seeds have gone to court where they have won rulings that temporarily barred the planting of genetically modified alfalfa and sugar beets and ordered the USDA to conduct a more thorough assessment.

Biotech companies already spend significant time and money reviewing their products, and it makes more sense for the USDA to use that information through the pilot program rather than starting from square one, said Batra, of the trade group.

I see nothing wrong with the genetic engineering industry policing itself. After all, it worked great for Wall Street.

Selective breeding, is what Hitler tried to do with the human race, in 1930's Germany.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,164,591 times
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but those "Cows" looked more like "BULLS". Cows are female.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oh, yes. It's a large slicing tomato, good for sandwiches and "fried green tomatoes". I make a mean fried green tomato that is a staple on our table from mid July through early October! I grow a variety of beefsteak, romas and cherry tomatoes, a few heirlooms too, like oxheart. My favorite romas are San Marzano, they make a great pizza sauce. I have a good friend who has a large fifth generation nursery, so I get all my flats from her - it's cheaper than, say, Walmart, and I know where the plants come from.

Learning to can is a little tough, I had the help of a farmer's wife and I studied up on it a lot. If you have a county extension, you can get all kinds of agricultural pamphlets that are a big help. I both can and freeze my produce. I sell a lot of it at my daughter's health food store in summer - even though it is not technically "organic", the customers like it because I do not use pesticides. I've worked on local farms the past several summers, and the farmers love to answer questions and help anybody who is generally interested. (I worked for one for a short time who was really wacko, but that's another story!)

Container gardening would be a good start for you - also maybe a small raised bed? You would be amazed what can be grown in a small space. Also, please don't lose the grasp you have on the past - I think those of us who still have that are going to be the ones better off in the times ahead. Good luck to you!
Thank you. I must say, what you have developed starting from a pic axe, is just awesome! You are a true testimony and inspiration.

I have most enjoyed our visit,

~bell~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies