Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:12 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
and criticize Americans for celebrating the demise of a terrorist who declared war on America, murdering 3,000 of our citizens. Really.
What's your proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I see it all the time. The real world does not always conform to our wishes, or even our laws.

Which is a fallacy in itself.

I agree with you that there are some disturbing legal questions about this assassination (and that's what it was, plain and simple). But given the identity of the victim and the particularity of the circumstances, I don't think this sets any kind of dangerous precedent - precisely because it was extra-judicial.

Killing him based on what the soldiers expected to find and face - possibly a suicide vest - is going to be a good enough excuse to shoot first and ask questions later. Even if you are correct about the law, you aren't going to find a jury or any other tribunal willing to convict on these facts.
There will be no charges, of course. What's done is done. What I'm more concerned about is that so many of us happy little americans are A-OK with how it all went down...

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Of course it didn't--what else do they have to hold onto, now that a liberal president succeeded where their blustering warmonger failed?
Who's the war monger?

President Obama escalated the war in Afghanistan, continued the war in Iraq, invaded Libya and sent troops into Pakistan and Yemen.

He has also threatened to bomb Iran a few times. He has continued the Patriot Act, upped the power of the TSA, increased the number of predator drones. Contuned the use of Gitmo and extraordinary renditions.

He makes George Bush look like a dove.

It's amazing to me people think Republicans are the party of war. Look at the U.S. wars in the 20th century. It's almost all Democrats.

And as a bonus President Obama promised us more war when he announced the killing of bin Laden.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There will be no charges, of course. What's done is done. What I'm more concerned about is that so many of us happy little americans are A-OK with how it all went down...
We had no good choices.

Obama had to choose from a range of crappy alternatives. I'm not sure he chose wrongly.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
We should be okay with the way it went down.

He needed killin'

Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Your title is ...er..."erroneous"...(sick and disgusting also)

Maybe SOME liberals and SOME righties MAY mourn the loss of Osama BUT not all as your purposely "erroneous" title suggests....now I know NONE of your posts are worth reading...

Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Germany has lost their mind. Clearly they're still feeling awfully guilty over those pesky Nazi years-

Chancellor Merkel hit with criminal complaint for being “glad” OBL is dead « The Greenroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What's your proof?
You don't read the New York Times? How about CNN? MSNBC? They're all on the don't-celebrate-or-you'll-upset-the-terrorists boat.

Quote:
I am saying we are a country under the rule of law. Laws are made to protect us. No matter how evil, demented, bloodthirsty or terrible a man is, we give him a right to trial. That is to protect YOU, because YOU can be accused of anything from a parking violation to murder in your life, and the allegation can be false.

People cheer the death of Osama, but essentially the whole thing boils down to a group of commandos going in and murdering a person or 3, no questions asked. There was nothing glorious or heroic about it; they killed a sick, old (abeit infamous) unarmed man.
You make it sound like he was practically on his death bed. He was a war criminal, therefore he forfeited his right to a trial.

And to compare Americans' celebrating the demise of this dangerous war criminal as being the same exact thing as Islamists celebrating the death of thousands of innocent people in the name of Allah is completely unconscionable. What kind of warped thinking is that?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
We should be okay with the way it went down.

He needed killin'
I still would rather have seen him swinging from a noose on a unauthorized internet video...

Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Your title is ...er..."erroneous"...(sick and disgusting also)

Maybe SOME liberals and SOME righties MAY mourn the loss of Osama BUT not all as your purposely "erroneous" title suggests....now I know NONE of your posts are worth reading...
^^^^^ This....

Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
^^^^^ this....
+1:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies