Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let this guy out of prison?
Yes 17 13.08%
No 113 86.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

I was presuming his guilt for purposes of this debate. It's a separate argument to say that he should be freed due to defects in the trial that convicted him. I was making a general, normative argument about people who are actually guilty of such crimes, and their disposition later in life.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
He's almost 80 years old for crying out loud! I say let him out, maybe to an assisted living facility. I actually feel sorry for him having sat in prison for 60+ years...
HE should have thought of that 60 years ago

Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
This reminds me of Red... or was it Blue... from Shawshank Redemption... remember the guy who hanged himself when he got out because he had been institutionalized his whole life. It seems to me that it might actually be more humane to let the guy die in prison. Would he really benefit from being released at this point?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This reminds me of Red... or was it Blue... from Shawshank Redemption... remember the guy who hanged himself when he got out because he had been institutionalized his whole life. It seems to me that it might actually be more humane to let the guy die in prison. Would he really benefit from being released at this point?
Shouldn't that be HIS decision to make? Especially since there's abundant doubt as to his guilt in the first place. I'd hate to think this man was innocent, and convicted of something he didn't do when he was 17. To then compound by keeping him in prison for his own good is nonsensical.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Really, did you folks read this? (Bill Heirens) It was a railroad job . . .

I don't see anything in your link that proves he was railroaded.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 AM

191 posts, read 712,388 times
Quote:
He's almost 80 years old for crying out loud! I say let him out, maybe to an assisted living facility. I actually feel sorry for him having sat in prison for 60+ years...
What???? He's a 78 year old predator and felon. Too bad he didn't get the death penalty.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 AM

191 posts, read 712,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Why do you all insist on his guilt? There have been books written about his alleged innocence, such as the one by Delores Kennedy.

Isn't it possible this teenager was coerced into writing a confession? If what I've read is true, even the confession was fraught with errors; details that couldn't possibly have been true.

Why are most posters here so quick to condemn this man just because he was convicted? No one's perfect. If the evidence doesn't hold up, what harm is there in re-examing the facts? If new forensic techniques convict him, then so be it. If not, however......imagine spending decades in prison for crimes you didn't commit.
I think the original question was whether he should be paroled, not if he should be allowed to appeal his sentence.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:37 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Shouldn't that be HIS decision to make? Especially since there's abundant doubt as to his guilt in the first place. I'd hate to think this man was innocent, and convicted of something he didn't do when he was 17. To then compound by keeping him in prison for his own good is nonsensical.
It should be his choice IF he has a new trial and is found not guilty. No doubt about that. But, to parole a man who is not eligible is a self-defeating argument of our own justice system. Yes, there are things in our criminal justice system that make my stomach turn. But, if you parole one man because you feel bad for him, than where does it stop? Re-trial? Fine. Parole? No.

I also hear a lot of "What harm can he be to society at this point?" But, I also ask "What good can he be to society now?" Can a man approaching 80 make a valuable contribution to this country after being incarcerated for most of his adult life? He holds almost no special skills, he is completely antiquated as to the ways of the modern world, and in essence, it would cost more tax-paying money to support this person as a free man than it would be to keep him in jail. Only under the premise of a not guilty re-trial do I think we owe him anything. Again, just to parole someone because you THINK he's not guilty or has served enough time, has defeated the justice system put in place.

Let's look at it another way. Let's take Lee Boyd Malvo. Recently, a report in the news showed him as drawing pictures of his own self showing sorrow for his actions. Social workers and psychologists agree that he is truly sorry for his actions. He was 17 when he went to jail. If he lives to be 78 years old, should we release him? Time heals wounds, both emotional and physical, and the remembrance of the DC sniper killings is still fairly strong in our minds. But what about 73 or 74 years from now? Should we release him just because we feel sorry for him? No, better yet, should we set him out on parole when parole is not an option? No, the only way he should ever be released is if he is found not guilty of ALL charges.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:19 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
I never said he should be paroled because we feel sorry for him.

If I was convinced he was guilty, I wouldn't feel a BIT sorry for him.

What I am questioning are the many comments about leaving him in the streets to die, letting him rot, should have killed him then, kill him now, etc., when there appears to be doubt far greater than what is reasonable.

Obviously it's in no one's best interest to circumvent our entire system to parole at will. As for your Lee Boyd Malvo example, I don't see your point. There was no question as to his guilt.

We agree on this- the only way this man should be freed is if he is granted a new trial and is proven not guilty.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
As sorry as he felt when he committed the murders and dismemberments?

He can be paroled when he has COMPLETED the first two life sentances.....

Besides.....his living facilities don't get no mo assisted then prison......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies