Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,115,415 times

Advertisements

Since the raid and killing of UBL in Pakistan, it seems "too much information" has been the theme. We often see "officials" going "off the record" giving the press info that honestly, the press nor us, NOR OUR ENEMIES, have any business knowing.

While Im sure there is a lot that IS being kept secret, and rightfully so, I still dont think some of the info that has come out shouldve been put out there.

- stealth helicopters used
- aprx number of people on the mission and who was involved
- CIA in Pakistan nearby spying on UBL prior to raid
- What was seized and being analyzed from raid (ie hard drives, memory sticks, etc)
- phone numbers found on UBL's clothing
- What info we gather from them (recently its been leaked that there are numerous Al Qaeda operatives scattered throughour Pakistan

Thats just a few of the things that have been released willingly or leaked so far. How does this help our war on terror? It seems to me we should keep as much secret about all this as possible. For heaven's sake, its been less than a week and we are just throwing all this out there and im sure there will be more.

While our enemies were certain to assume certain things anyways, why do we find it necessary to confirm things for them and make it easier for them?

Im not putting this on the Obama admin, because this sort of crap has been going on for a while. I find it uneasy and just wrong, being a former military man with a high level clearance, how some find no issue with just throwing this information out there.

Then there is the news report that we are leaning towards releasing UBL home videos/propaganda tapes. WHY? Unless some of these tapes show him doing something against Islam like eating bacon or something, why the hell would we release this stuff? Especially given that they dont want to release the dead UBL photo? Seems to me, now maybe im just using common sense here, that releasing propaganda tapes could be just as helpful in "inciting" the enemy as releasing the picture of a dead UBL.

But my main point deals with security. Whatever happened to loose lips, sink ships? Whatever happened to just shutting your damn mouths? And just to add, they shouldve kept quiet about nearly everything surrounding this mission with the exception of reporting that we took UBL out. They shouldve kept much of it Top Secret. The less the enemy and our future enemies know, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,247,449 times
Spiking the football hoping to gain traction for a defeated administration.
Obama lost most all the independents and many of the whites that went for him last time, so he is desperate to figure something out to get reelected.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,144,695 times
I agree with the OP, TMI.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM

44,976 posts, read 26,124,187 times
You are advocating for the government to operate in secret from the taxpayers?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,559,733 times
Ha. Just the other day, right-wingers on this forum said they didn't believe the raid really occurred, or that Bin Laden had been killed. So now they're going to release video, and these same right-wingers are complaining about that?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:05 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,572,123 times
No, the USA has nothing to be worried about. Release the information.

Turn on the light and watch the cockroaches (Al Qaeda) scatter.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:07 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,144,695 times
I for one am getting sick and tired of seeing OBL's mug plastered all over every news
channel I tune in to.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 PM

44,976 posts, read 26,124,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I for one am getting sick and tired of seeing OBL's mug plastered all over every news
channel I tune in to.
It's called a boob tube for good reason.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
It's not like they released any audio with the new video.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:18 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,115,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ha. Just the other day, right-wingers on this forum said they didn't believe the raid really occurred, or that Bin Laden had been killed. So now they're going to release video, and these same right-wingers are complaining about that?

From what videos they released so far, I dont have a problem with. I just think we should keep quiet on a lot of this info they are finding out. Keep the enemy in the dark.

And to Frank:
No, im not for a super secret government, but national security should come first. And this isnt about keeping us in the dark, its about keeping the enemy in the dark. Not to mention, we dont need to know a lot of this stuff. All we needed to know was UBL was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies