Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A Palestinian Muslim named Sirhan Sirhan killed Robert Kennedy because at that time in the distant past, democrats supported the right of Israel to exist.

At some point the democrats turned against the Jewish people. Now they support the annilation of Israel and it's people.
The problem here is that you assume that Israel = Jewish people, whereas in reality, this is about Zionism which includes extreme right wing factions of Judaism, Christianity and, drumroll, several Muslims. It is why you must have seen anti-Israel stance from Jews.

And you've already been corrected on your claim of the Palestinian Muslim... when in fact he was a Palestinian Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The word "anti-semitism" and "anti-semite" however relates to only hatred of the Jewish people ... it is one of those paradoxes of the English language; it does not mean hatred of Arabs, it strictly means hatred of Jews. Look it up in the dictionary. I know it doesn't make sense in the strictest sense, but vocabulary and language does have it's quirks.
It isn't an example of a paradox, it is an example of a word being hijacked, since 1890s and effectively used since, even on Jews who have raised their voice against Israeli governments.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
No group in America hates Jews in any real numbers anymore.

Anti-Semitism played out 40 years ago. Like, it's practically non existent in this country at this point. Blacks and Hispanics don't care about it either.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I realize this is more of a rant than a question, but if you feel i'm wrong, please say so....it just seems to me that in the past 50 years or so, White American society has moved from being highly anti-semitic to die-hard,obsessively in love with anything Jewish.
i would say that you're overestimating both extremes. i don't think white Christians have ever been "highly" anti semitic, nor do I think they are now "obsessively in love" with Judaism.

as a white protestant southerner, i was probably 15 or 16 before i understood the difference between Catholicism and Judaism. It was foreign; people who had a problem with Jews would be xenophobes in general, rather than specifically anti-semite.

Now, that may be different in areas with large Jewish populations. As they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

Furthermore I think this pro-Israel mentality is not borne out of widespread infatuation with Judaism. I think it is anti-Arab, anti-Muslim sentiment. Around the time of the Iraqi war, "Good ol boy" white rednecks I knew were suddenly experts on the Mossad, and had nothing but great things to say about Israel. I agree that, at the time, it struck me as funny.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM

950 posts, read 1,511,660 times
I am half Jewish, and I would definitely feel a lot safer walking around with a kippah in a bible belt state like South Carolina than I would in predominantly muslim Iran.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I am half Jewish ...
Being fractional Jewish is a Christian concept.

From a Jewish perspective, one is Jewish if born of a Jewish mother or is a convert; otherwise, one is not Jewish.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 63,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Being fractional Jewish is a Christian concept.

From a Jewish perspective, one is Jewish if born of a Jewish mother or is a convert; otherwise, one is not Jewish.
Judaism is less of a 'religion' to Jews and more of an ethnic identity.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,525,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Anti-Semitism played out 40 years ago. Like, it's practically non existent in this country at this point. Blacks and Hispanics don't care about it either.
The history of Judiasm is filled with lands, empires and nations where we lived and thrived for centuries and even thousands of years and then were forced out and/or exterminated.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM

66 posts, read 63,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Around the time of the Iraqi war, "Good ol boy" white rednecks I knew were suddenly experts on the Mossad, and had nothing but great things to say about Israel. I agree that, at the time, it struck me as funny.
Neoconservative Jews (the inner circle of Neocons in the Bush Admin. were practically all Jews with close ties to Israel) were very effective at turning "rural white male" sentiment against the Jews' motral enemies, the 'Mooslims'. The sad part is that most young American males bought the Neocons' propaganda hook, line and sinker and thought going to Iraq was just like enlisting after Pearl Harbor.

History will show that these young Americans were duped into serving in the military by the corporate Zionist media and the plethora of lies streaming out of the Bush White House lie factory. Sadly we are fighting Israel's wars due to the crafty lies of many Israeli sympathizing operatives in our government.

Last edited by Island Trader; 05-09-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 7,998 times
Quote:

This will probably change if/when the economy really crashes, the dollar is worthless and the Wall Street CEOs leave the country.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Quote:
Poorly educated African Americans and Hispanics, as well as, sorry to say, non-observant, secular Jews, are the last vestiges of anti-Semitism in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.