U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:27 PM
 
357 posts, read 1,251,579 times
Reputation: 194

Advertisements

is it safe to say that anti-Semitism is almost non-existanct in this century among white, Christian Americans?

I realize that sizable portions of the black, Latino and Arab Muslim community in America still dislike Jews, but it seems to me that conservative, Christian whites, who would have been anti-semitic 50 years ago, are now very vocal in proclaiming their solidarity with the Jewish people. If i recall correctly, some ultra-right wing Christian politician from Utah made some kind of song and dance a while back about how much he loves Jews.

As for left wing whites, i realize that conservatives often paint them as anti-semites because they sometimes criticize Israel, but face it, not many lefties are burning crosses on the lawns of families that just happan to be named Goldstein or Steinwitz....and most Leftists worship influential Jewish people like Chomsky, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Naomi Klein. I've never heard of Leftists treating somebody badly because they are of Jewish ancestry, maybe if they are Israeli army officers, but not just because they have semitic blood.

I realize that maybe there are still a contingent of white Americans who hate everyone of Jewish bloodlines and see Jews as subhuman demons, but face it, these are mostly people who live in their parents basement, posting conspiracy theories up at Stormfront.com...they are not an important part of American society and are nowhere close to being as organized or as militant or as vicious as Russias skinheads or even British white nationalists (who by the way, have somewhat dropped that whole anti-Jewish thing in favor of anti-islam)

White conservative Christian anti-semites in America are about as important a demographic group as diehard Godzilla fans in America, small in numbers, mostly fat, mostly basement-dwelling, mostly harmless.

I still encounter white Christian Conservatives often that harbor at least some form of prejudice against Latinos, Blacks, or (most often) Arabs....but never, ever Jews.

I realize this is more of a rant than a question, but if you feel i'm wrong, please say so....it just seems to me that in the past 50 years or so, White American society has moved from being highly anti-semitic to die-hard,obsessively in love with anything Jewish. This is a good thing by the way, i just wish that in another few years, whites will love Blacks, Latinos and Arabs just as much as they love Jews.

 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,442,230 times
Reputation: 9920
It still exists in the Bible Belt. It is subtle but it is still there. They think Jews killed Jesus and don't have a favorable view of Jews. Even on this forum, the anti-Israeli type of threads usually originate from people living in this area. They have a hierarchy. They dislike Muslims and non-Christian faith believers more but they consider Judaism to be an inferior faith and incomplete. You probably won't encounter discrimination until you decide to seriously date one of them. Then you will witness this form of discrimination. They will try to convert you or they will say they can't engage into a long term relationship with you because of your faith and their family won't approve. Yes, it's there. Don't think they have forgotten about you just because they are infatuated with Muslims right now.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,025,976 times
Reputation: 3284
There is always some stupidity to go around, but I agree it is getting less EVERYWHERE overall.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,215,239 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
is it safe to say that anti-Semitism is almost non-existanct in this century among white, Christian Americans?

I realize that sizable portions of the black, Latino and Arab Muslim community in America still dislike Jews, but it seems to me that conservative, Christian whites, who would have been anti-semitic 50 years ago, are now very vocal in proclaiming their solidarity with the Jewish people. If i recall correctly, some ultra-right wing Christian politician from Utah made some kind of song and dance a while back about how much he loves Jews.

As for left wing whites, i realize that conservatives often paint them as anti-semites because they sometimes criticize Israel, but face it, not many lefties are burning crosses on the lawns of families that just happan to be named Goldstein or Steinwitz....and most Leftists worship influential Jewish people like Chomsky, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Naomi Klein. I've never heard of Leftists treating somebody badly because they are of Jewish ancestry, maybe if they are Israeli army officers, but not just because they have semitic blood.

I realize that maybe there are still a contingent of white Americans who hate everyone of Jewish bloodlines and see Jews as subhuman demons, but face it, these are mostly people who live in their parents basement, posting conspiracy theories up at Stormfront.com...they are not an important part of American society and are nowhere close to being as organized or as militant or as vicious as Russias skinheads or even British white nationalists (who by the way, have somewhat dropped that whole anti-Jewish thing in favor of anti-islam)

White conservative Christian anti-semites in America are about as important a demographic group as diehard Godzilla fans in America, small in numbers, mostly fat, mostly basement-dwelling, mostly harmless.

I still encounter white Christian Conservatives often that harbor at least some form of prejudice against Latinos, Blacks, or (most often) Arabs....but never, ever Jews.

I realize this is more of a rant than a question, but if you feel i'm wrong, please say so....it just seems to me that in the past 50 years or so, White American society has moved from being highly anti-semitic to die-hard,obsessively in love with anything Jewish. This is a good thing by the way, i just wish that in another few years, whites will love Blacks, Latinos and Arabs just as much as they love Jews.
I don't think you are wrong, at all, but do think that you are wrong when you call Jews the only Semites. I think you will find that the real Jews came from the same early bloodlines as the Arabic people came from. In other words, they are both Semites. The Arabic people don't all hate Jews other than politically.

Good thread opener, no matter how much I do or don't agree with it.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 23,680,579 times
Reputation: 7984
No problem with Jews here in our area. Been to Israel twice and loved it except for the Muslim sections.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
 
357 posts, read 1,251,579 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No problem with Jews here in our area. Been to Israel twice and loved it except for the Muslim sections.
Just out of curiousity, what did you not like about the Muslim sections?
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,442,230 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No problem with Jews here in our area. Been to Israel twice and loved it except for the Muslim sections.
If your sister married a Jew and was asked to convert to Judaism, you are telling me your family would have not problem with that? I guarantee the people in your area would very much be opposed to that. In the South, it's gotten to the point that discrimination is not open any longer and only shows it's head in these intimate situations.

Also, a big reason why your area isn't open armed toward Jews is because many Jews fought for Civil Rights
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
 
316 posts, read 246,686 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No problem with Jews here in our area. Been to Israel twice and loved it except for the Muslim sections.
Did you visit the illegally occupied territories?
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:48 PM
 
357 posts, read 1,251,579 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If your sister married a Jew and was asked to convert to Judaism, you are telling me your family would have not problem with that? I guarantee the people in your area would very much be opposed to that. In the South, it's gotten to the point that discrimination is not open any longer and only shows it's head in these intimate situations.

Also, a big reason why your area isn't open armed toward Jews is because many Jews fought for Civil Rights
I've heard people say that the South, despite anti-black and anti-foreigner sentiment in the past, has always been reletively Jew-friendly. Apparantly, Charleston and Savannha have old Jewish communities that fought in the civil war for the South and have been mostly respected by White Christians throughout the ages.

Might be true, most of the famous American anti-semites in history such as Henry Ford, Charles Lindburgh, Father Coughlin, etc, etc were northerners (specifically, Detroiters)
 
Old 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Barrington, IL area
1,594 posts, read 2,637,914 times
Reputation: 4943
Anti-semitism is still very much alive throughout America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top