Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support lowering regs and taxes on corporations if it meant jobs would come back to the US
Yes 29 54.72%
No 21 39.62%
Undecided/No opinon/Other (please post your rationale) 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:33 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

What was the REAL corporate tax rate for Fortune 500 companies? I know this information has to be somewhere but I had no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 04:34 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's not true. Lowering taxes and relaxing regulations will not bring jobs back to America. The driving factor in exporting jobs is that Asian workers make 1/10th or less of US salaries. The only way to bring manufacturing jobs back is a tariff wall.
I voted no for this exact reason.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
People tend to forget that bringing back manufacturing volume wouldn't be the same thing as bringing back jobs.

The large manufacturers in mainland China are not currently running their factories in a very automated fashion. That's because human labor is sufficiently cheap that automation is not as important in terms of profit margin.

But a factory that relocates to the US would be quite a bit more automated. Many fewer jobs would be required to run that facility than a facility producing the same output in China.

And that trend will only increase, because automated systems continue to get cheaper. Eventually, it will hit China and even lower-wage countries like Cambodia. It's just a function of the cost of implementing the system to begin with.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's not true. Lowering taxes and relaxing regulations will not bring jobs back to America. The driving factor in exporting jobs is that Asian workers make 1/10th or less of US salaries. The only way to bring manufacturing jobs back is a tariff wall.
A tariff barrier won't solve anything, in fact, it would make it worse. It would just make foreign goods more expensive here and our goods more expensive overseas due to tariff retaliation. The solution lies in developing products that are unique to us and our capabilities that are desired in other Countries as well as ours. That takes investment in innovation.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
lessening regulations sure would help.

let's just use zoning as an example. what if you (and this is hypothetical ) lived in a small town and wanted to put up a giant ice cream cone stand and the town said no.

i know somebody who couldn't get a liquor license because a county commissioner had her own restaurant getting ready to open.

your town has businesses and employees. multiple that by all the businesses that have been denied zoning or licensing because of whatever....

let companies start and if their product is successful they will flourish, and so will the economy.
I have encountered similar scenarios first hand and most recently I had to give up on a location because the local municipality was dictating an area of a property I was considering to open a business that had been gravel for decades, needed to be paved.
After paving, it would was then required a retention pond be constructed to accommodate the resulting runoff from the newly paved area that wouldn't exist if it were left as gravel
I had absolutely no use for this gravel area and would have gladly fenced it off, but the bureaucrats were inflexible in their demand that it be paved and drained to their satisfaction before issuing a "permit to occupy"
All in all I would have had to spend a minimum of $100,000 to pave an area that would sit unused, not to mention weeks or months wasted while waiting for them to respond, inspect, possibly dictate changes and approve.
All along the way, the business owner is treated as if they and their business plan are the enemy of the code, zoning, planning and public works departments. Some of these zombies take real glee in squelching dreams.
Needless to say, the property remains vacant and one less business was opened.

This piece really resonated with me:
Making it Tough to Create Jobs
Quote:
There’s a struggle that goes on everyday across America. While what Washington does makes headlines, entrepreneurs are tangling with municipalities all over the country: Building departments, licensing, code enforcement, departments of inspections and permits; the list goes on and on.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 05-07-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This piece really resonated with me:
Making it Tough to Create Jobs
Local government is ridiculous to deal with! But as somebody who started a business from scratch, it sounds to me as if the candle maker was mostly at fault.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It was the "Community Reinvestment Act" enacted by carter in the 70's and further enhanced by clinton in the 90's.

This FACT cannot be disputed.
I was replying to Quick Enough's claim that everything was hunky-dory under Bush until the Democrats gained control of Congress in 2007 - then they did something that cratered the economy.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Are you referring to the same Clinton that saw 23 million jobs created under his terms? That Clinton?
Yes. That clinton. The one who saw the benefits of Reagan's policies and was only saved from himself by a republican congress.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As much as people are screaming moaning and bitching about the government in terms of the economy, it's not going to be the government that revitalizes the economy. It's going to be PEOPLE taking risks and building small businesses based on innovated ideas. The problem right now is too many damn Americans are addicted to sucking on the corporate t*t.

The economy has fundamentally changed. In order to advance in this economy being a wage earner actually works against you. The winners in this economy are entrepreneurial people who have high value skills and talents and know how to market them.
Uhh....they've always been the winners, in every economy.

Too many people suckling on the GOVERNMENT tit!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Sorry the Pirates have already taken half of the economy and want more, if this keeps up we won't be able to afford the chinese Crap at WALMART

Off with their heads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies