Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?
Yes 9 8.04%
No 103 91.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Tell the big corporations to stop outsourcing and then you will see jobs return.
Stop buying "Made in China" products at Wally world. Business's are in business to make money and stay in business. If the consumer wants to pay $100 for a cheap lawnmower at Wally World instead of paying $400 for a US made one that is what they are going to sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
Me? No. Because I'm in a technically demanding job that requires brainpower and skill and knowledge that few have.

But for the lineworkers in GM plants ... I'd be thinking about it ...

Or, seriously think about a different line of work.

On the flip side, I've heard more than one CEO proclaim that they'd love to have more jobs in America because they're Americans too. But a few things are stopping them:

1) Belligerent unions.

2) Crushing regulation (not the save the planet stuff per se, but the added paperwork and lack of automation when dealing with government).

3) Politics in dealing with a decentralized world marketplace, and governments willing to say "we won't let you sell here unless you either sell your technology to us or build some plants here."

None of those reasons are wages. Healthcare costs are sometimes complained about, but they said that a serious government program to get people back to exercising is the way to go.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 914,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If you are a governmet worker you should consider that or be fired.
Private sector can do what it wants since it doesn't use taxpayer dollars.
Jealous much?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,206,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?
Not a 50-cent cut.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?
Wages for average Americans has stagnated for 20-25 years...

Back in the day when the economy was good for middle class Americans(50's-60's) CEOs made 30 to 40% of what the average American made...now CEOs make 600 to 700% of what the average American makes....

Do you think CEOs would cut their salaries in half ?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,614,527 times
As long as the corporations can pay a worker in China 65 cents an hour to assemble a product, they aren't going to bring the job here so they can pay an American worker $12 an hour to assemble that product. So, the question really is, are those that work in manufacturing or, say, in call centers, willing to work for 65 cents an hour versus what they used to get 20 years ago? I bet not. It's really kind of improbable to think that if EVERYONE cut their wages, the jobs would come back. They wouldn't. In order to get them to come back, certain workers would need to work for pennies every hour.

Would companies be willing to lower the cost of food, health insurance, and other necessities so we could live on 65 cents an hour?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,441,432 times
Even 50% salary cut won't bring jobs back to America. Outsourcing is not a matter of numbers, but a fashion trend.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:00 AM

587 posts, read 1,132,424 times
I got a call yesteday from someone who was trying to peddle a prodcut on me...as soon as I heard her voice, I knew she was from overseas, plus you could hear everyone else in the background reading the same script....instead of hanging up, I let her finish her spill and then I asked her, "are you calling from India or Pakistan? She was silent, then said India....I told her that job probably used to belong to someone here in America, but she had now because they are probably paying her and her friends $1.00 an hour......

I told her to take me off her call list and hung up on her azz

Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Me? No. Because I'm in a technically demanding job that requires brainpower and skill and knowledge that few have.

But for the lineworkers in GM plants ... I'd be thinking about it ...

Or, seriously think about a different line of work.

On the flip side, I've heard more than one CEO proclaim that they'd love to have more jobs in America because they're Americans too. But a few things are stopping them:

1) Belligerent unions.

2) Crushing regulation (not the save the planet stuff per se, but the added paperwork and lack of automation when dealing with government).

3) Politics in dealing with a decentralized world marketplace, and governments willing to say "we won't let you sell here unless you either sell your technology to us or build some plants here."

None of those reasons are wages. Healthcare costs are sometimes complained about, but they said that a serious government program to get people back to exercising is the way to go.
This is exactly what is going on.

I look at it like this. There is always work to do. And there is always someone willing to pay someone to do that work. So an outside force, in this case government, is the only reasoon we have unemployment.

We could have zero uemplyment in a matter of days if we repealed these regulations and lowered the tax rates.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Tell the big corporations to stop outsourcing and then you will see jobs return.

And while you are at it, tell them [Corporations] to stop paying politicians to vote on pro-illegal alien measures. Less illegals = higher wages, and more jobs. Take the construction industry for example, in many states that work used to pay ~$20 a hour, which would be good pay even today. But wages in that field are hitting rock bottom due to illegals being paid peanuts to do it.
They are in business to make a profit if they don't they won't stay in business... unless your GM and get a handout courtesy of the taxpayers.The blame for the outsourcing is Uncle Sam with those bad trade deals,high taxes and over regulations.Lets not forget the all powerful EPA which is holding up progress here where i live with those green house gas regulations...whats next you,me and the family pets because we exhale co 2 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies