Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I believe Montana adopted Speed Limits again back in 1999. So, it's not true anymore
Yea ill never forget road trips with my grandpa to Missoula. I remember alot of scary accidents though. One car was in the left lane and switched to the right lane to let a faster car go by; however, the faster car tried to pass him on the right and since they were moving at about 90 mph their was no time for correction; Luckily we were close to the next exit and everyone was okay

American drivers are really not the best around, too much passing on the right and too much cruising in the left lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
American drivers are really not the best around, too much passing on the right and too much cruising in the left lane
Eliminating the latter would eliminate the former.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Compared to other places I've lived and visited... Americans are actually pretty darn good drivers, believe it or not!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
If you mean careful maybe yes, but careful doesn't mean good. I have never seen European drivers entering the freeway at 30 mph when the speed limit is 60. Americans do it all the time. These people are dangerous for the roads.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you mean careful maybe yes, but careful doesn't mean good. I have never seen European drivers entering the freeway at 30 mph when the speed limit is 60. Americans do it all the time. These people are dangerous for the roads.
Europe also has fewer drivers than the United States on average. It costs roughly 67 euros in tolls to go from Amsterdam to Lille. That's a shorter distance than Baltimore to New York. When it costs that much to travel, you are not going to have as many people on the roads, and you can set speed limits much higher.

In the States, I'm sure you could drive all the way from New York to San Francisco and not pay 67 euros worth of tolls.

As I said before, the roads we have here can be just as nice as long as people are willing to pay $150 in tolls (roundtrip) to get between DC and NYC.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/U...%20-%20WEB.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Europe also has fewer drivers than the United States on average. It costs roughly 67 euros in tolls to go from Amsterdam to Lille. That's a shorter distance than Baltimore to New York. When it costs that much to travel, you are not going to have as many people on the roads, and you can set speed limits much higher.

In the States, I'm sure you could drive all the way from New York to San Francisco and not pay 67 euros worth of tolls.

As I said before, the roads we have here can be just as nice as long as people are willing to pay $150 in tolls (roundtrip) to get between DC and NYC.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/U...%20-%20WEB.pdf
The toll situation is def a big one here in France... Driving the little under 250 km from Paris to the gf's home town just before Laval is 22.50 euros each way, that and the high gas prices... Don't even get me started on how much more it is to go to the south, 80 something euros for the mountains...

Old 05-14-2012, 12:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I think we have a superior highway system compared to Europe. The only thing Europe beats us on are the passenger train systems.

Out of all the states I've traveled Texas really go all out on their interstates.

Introducing the Texas style stack. I believe Houston has the largest and widest number of lanes up to 22 across. I notice some of the flyover ramps have a bit of art work on them and are lit up at night. Flyovers ramps outside tunnels and large bridges are the most expensive methods. I often wonder why Texas build the ramps so high up.

America really does have the best highways in a lot of places.

High 5 Interchange north of Dallas. Stack'em high baby!!

Mak'em wider

lol

I love the pictures of gridlock on that thing.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
The toll situation is def a big one here in France... Driving the little under 250 km from Paris to the gf's home town just before Laval is 22.50 euros each way, that and the high gas prices... Don't even get me started on how much more it is to go to the south, 80 something euros for the mountains...
At least you have TGV and Eurostar
London to Paris in 2 hours and cost about a hundred usd i believe

Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Compared to other places I've lived and visited... Americans are actually pretty darn good drivers, believe it or not!
Except of course for those left lane cruisers who cause alot of tension behind them

Road Rage on I10 Louisiana - YouTube
^ i see situations almost like this every time i take a long distance trip

Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM

19 posts, read 34,885 times
I thought I posted this already but I can't find it...anyway has anyone checked this link out (another forum within this site) http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...struction.html

The state of America's infrastructure is far more complex than any other nation on Earth, including China, at any given time we have hundreds of billions of dollars wrapped up in projects that people may not even know about...take a look at the infrastructure projects going in right now in the US and you will be amazed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies