Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why would you rather see pot remain illegal? Its a huge waste of money, 95% of all Marijuana in the United States makes it to market. The DEA is a waste of time, and while we could spend huge sums of money to make it better, what would we get, 10% of the pot in the country?

Its not unhealthy for most people, its not addictive physically, and its less harmful than other legal drugs out there today. You don't have to smoke it, it can be eaten, and standard sobriety tests find users who drive.

Just curious as to why? And if we are going to show one sad story where someone died because people were smoking pot, remember its a dangerous country, and more people die because marijuana is illegal (drug trade) then die from the use.
That eating thing is one that did a real sad deal to one kid I knew. He was an outstanding runner who never ran as fast as he could because he didn't have to to win. Anyway he went to college on a track scholarship which the coach pulled at Christmas break, the still called it that back then in 1970. He told me that he saw the boy two times that semester, the day he came in to get his scholarship and the day he pulled it. The kid told me how hard he had been running and never went to practice one time. He told me about a kid who made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sprinkled marijuana on them and ate them. Turned out he was the kid. Yep, doing drugs for him kept him from knowing how fast he was and at 25 he was crying around to me how that had screwed up his life.

If a drug keeps one from doing what he could do like that it is wrong for that person.

BTW, that coach once had a boy who he knew smoked at least 1 pack of cigarettes every day and drank at least one quart of wine nearly every day. However, that was before scholarships so the fact that he busted his butt in practice and won at least one conference championship every year of the four made the coach not get on him. As he said, the kid was great, not as good as he could have been but better than most others. Dean never took to marijuana though, just alcohol and tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,718,315 times
Default Dude. Where's my car?

Um...smoking pot can lead to...um...I forgot...

Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why would you rather see pot remain illegal? Its a huge waste of money, 95% of all Marijuana in the United States makes it to market. The DEA is a waste of time, and while we could spend huge sums of money to make it better, what would we get, 10% of the pot in the country?

Its not unhealthy for most people, its not addictive physically, and its less harmful than other legal drugs out there today. You don't have to smoke it, it can be eaten, and standard sobriety tests find users who drive.

Just curious as to why? And if we are going to show one sad story where someone died because people were smoking pot, remember its a dangerous country, and more people die because marijuana is illegal (drug trade) then die from the use.
While I do not necessarily want to see marijuana illegal, I do acknowledge the constitutional authority Congress has to prohibit the drug with regard to any international or interstate commerce.

This is one case where the Commerce Clause really does apply. The exact same argument could be made with regard to foreign liquor. Even though one is legal and the other is not.

While I may not like the cost, the federal government does have the constitutional authority to wage a "war on drugs" if it crosses state or international borders. Where Congress' authority ceases is with any product that is wholly grown, processed, sold, and used within a given state. In such cases, it is entirely up to the state to decide how to deal with the situation, the feds have no say.

I also believe the government has a moral obligation to protect its citizens from harm, whether we want that protection or not. However, there are plenty of other products Congress has not prohibited from being imported that are as harmful, or even more harmful, than marijuana (alcohol and cigars, for example). Therefore, that would shoot down any moral argument government might make in regard to marijuana.

Congress does not have to prohibit marijuana. After all, it was not illegal at the federal level until 1956. It was a controlled substance between 1937 and 1955, and you could only be cited for not possessing the appropriate tax stamp of you were busted by the feds with marijuana. Congress could repeal the 1956 law, and still continue with its "war on drugs" in regard to international or interstate drug trafficking.

The actual amount of drugs being confiscated at the borders is of little consequence, it is a matter of principle. But it is only principle when applied to everything, not just marijuana. So if government is going to ban marijuana from being imported into the US in order to keep us safe, then by that same principle government would be required to ban imported alcohol and tobacco. Otherwise they have no principle.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
If you ask 100 heroin addicts if they ever smoked pot, 100% of them will say yes. This is the logic of the "gateway drug" argument.

Now ask 100 potheads if they ever did heroin, which is the correct way to conduct the study, and yields radically different results.
What radically different results would that be? I ask that because if most who don't believe what you do, like me, have never tried either of them.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you just say that I am not a real conservative? Sounded like it and if worrying about government being big enough to keep people from doing drugs is what it takes I guess I will have to become a liberal again.
You should go back to being a liberal, it's fake conservatives like you that give it a bad name.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,610,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I also believe the government has a moral obligation
Why should we allow a group of people with no morals to act under "moral obligation"?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Default I have had too much fun with this one.

i always do when these come around but sometimes my fingers get very tired typing. I know that I can never change the mind of a prog or a drug user but it is fun to get called some of the names I got called here. Keep it up people since I have more fun than you do and none of us changes any others.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,610,893 times
Quote:
That eating thing is one that did a real sad deal to one kid I knew. He was an outstanding runner who never ran as fast as he could because he didn't have to to win. Anyway he went to college on a track scholarship which the coach pulled at Christmas break, the still called it that back then in 1970. He told me that he saw the boy two times that semester, the day he came in to get his scholarship and the day he pulled it. The kid told me how hard he had been running and never went to practice one time. He told me about a kid who made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sprinkled marijuana on them and ate them. Turned out he was the kid. Yep, doing drugs for him kept him from knowing how fast he was and at 25 he was crying around to me how that had screwed up his life.

If a drug keeps one from doing what he could do like that it is wrong for that person.

BTW, that coach once had a boy who he knew smoked at least 1 pack of cigarettes every day and drank at least one quart of wine nearly every day. However, that was before scholarships so the fact that he busted his butt in practice and won at least one conference championship every year of the four made the coach not get on him. As he said, the kid was great, not as good as he could have been but better than most others. Dean never took to marijuana though, just alcohol and tobacco.
What about the kid who got to excited and entranced by video games and threw away his athletic abilities so he could sit in front of his TV and let his athletic abilities and grades plummet because video games are more fun?

People screw their lives up a million different ways. We don't need the government to ban everything that could possibly allow people to screw up their lives. You wanna try to start guessing how many people have thrown their lives away with alcohol? Gambling? Strip clubs? Other vices?

I smoked pot for about 6 or 7 years, heavily at times. I went to college and have been in the fitness industry for 10 years now and do quiet well. I haven't smoked pot in 10 years, haven't smoked cigarettes in 14 years, and drink a little wine once or twice a month.

The government shouldn't be allowed to tell people they can't do something because they "might" hurt themselves.

Should we ban guns so people can't shoot themselves?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
The marijuana prohibitionists have feeble arguments; isolated instances, some rumors, and a whole lot of ignorance.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
Your word relative is the reason I am against it. You see the smoking of it became popular before I was out of high school in 1950 and I never did find anything that convinced me that use of mary jane didn't lead to something stronger in many people which is what was being said by so many at that time.

I still see many things like that that are illegal that government keeps like that. How about driving at an earlier age than the law allows? Do I need to go on with things like that in order to allow your logic to see that this is just not a pile of big government Pelosi?
When I said relatively benign, I meant relative to other drugs including LEGAL drugs! E.g. Alcohol is relatively malign. Tell me you're for criminalizing alcohol or go home and revel in your hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies