Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
That's actually already happened. The Beatles also got an invitation to the White House, despite having a song about a serial killer who bludgeoned people to death.
Were they singing that song to school children? What was the state of the economy at the time?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Zimbochick, I expect more from you. Surely you can see the difference (I know that you can) between creating a set of fictional characters in a fiction story/play/movie who do all kinds of things that people do in real life, vs. the lyrics of a song which are sung AS IF FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF THE SINGER. Occasionally a song has a satirical narrator, and it's clear that the lyrics are not the viewpoint of the narrator and not meant to be taken literally, but this is not a case of that. If a movie depicted cop killers in a sympathetic light, then YES, I would have a problem with that filmmaker as well. Most movies do not do that, though. Movie cop killers are just fictional characters playing out a role to advance the plot, not delivering a message that it's good to kill cops.

Furthermore, Common IS promoting and condoning harming cops. WTH do you think "rollin' them to sleep" means? What is meant by lyrics that state the cops are gonna run from his gun? I know Obama lovers want to protect their messiah but come on, don't be obtuse.
Chattypatty, many songwriters have written songs from particular points of view which they convey well enough to make people think it is their own.

One example: Randy Newman's "Rednecks". Newman is not a racist and never was a George Wallace supporter, and being Jewish himself is not an antisemite. Yet many Southern whites adapted that song as a celebratory anthem and thought that Newman actually believed the viewpoint that the narrative of that song espoused. Do you think that Newman was promoting racism, antisemitism, Southern white pride, and openly racist Southern politicians in that song? (Look it up on YouTube if you don't remember it.)

Many rappers are essentially playing a role. A large number of rappers didn't grow up in the ghetto and came from middle class backgrounds but are playing a role in coming off gangsta. In fact I know of some actors whose families are in the entertainment industry (albeit not on the "star" level) and who are not ghetto at all, and who turn to rapping as a way to establish themselves as actors because it's not that easy for young men to break into acting even if you have connections, unless your family are "stars". It's even harder for young black men in this situation than for young white men in this situation. Given how many rappers have become successful actors I can understand this.

BTW, Common is definitely not gangsta.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Were they singing that song to school children? What was the state of the economy at the time?
McCartney was invited to the White House by Obama, not by any earlier presidents. And yes, he did write "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" which is about a serial killer.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Only an idiot will believe common is a “Controversial Rapper Known for Cop Killing, Misogynistic Lyrics” nice try buddy…

Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
At least you're able to admit it.

Looking at some of the comments on the link lets me know what type of person this article was aimed it so it's not surprising to be that they find Common controversial. Those were probably the same people who were "disturbed" by Wayne Brady's appearance on the Chappelle show.
Haha very true. That was hilarious btw, and a good comparison to. Common is about a "gangsta" as Wayne Brady.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Oh God another "let's hate Obama thread because he endorses a rapper"! Common is a very good rapper and maybe some of you should listen to his music before judging him & going on a witch hunt.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
We're talking about school children here, not adults. I'm not offended by much so I could care less what any given rapper wants to talk about. I'm a little miffed, though, that Obama is honoring this rapper with school children. It's not appropriate.
You can pick apart a song from jut about anyone in any genre and find it to be controversial or them to be inappropriate if you look for it. And that is what is happening here. Fox, Hannity, the Blaze, Newsmax, etc are choosing to pick apart a very small sampling of Common's work as an artist, while refusing to look at the bigger picture, what he is, the vast majority of the stuff he writes about, etc.

The only way Common is controversial is if you think something like self empowerment, especially for those who are poor and disadvantaged is somehow controversial. Maybe the Hannity crowd is offended by self empowerment and intellectualism, perhaps that is the reason they are bent out of shape over this.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,940 times
Hey, maybe he can recite this little gem to the kids:

Quote:
Common: One two one two one two Yo I be the Big Illinois here to build and destroy I come on your deck on your set On your strip through your burrough Rippin any mutha****a that steps towards me Yeah I got power like floors be Yo check it out y'all

Real ***** quotes I tote got some **** on the free but This some **** that I wrote legendary like the goat Who got game? Giving a quarter rest while I make these quarter notes My album, *****z was expectin, now my water broke Before it, I was sorta broke Get the paper for the funnies, sports and the horoscope On a curry goat, like flu stokes order coke You sharp with your rings and chain but you short a rope At the end of the road trip still, I'ma hold **** down like syndrome Rappers are like Fox Brown tryin to get home Rarely get your touchdown, I'm in the end zone You can't honor what I'm on, then ***** *****, get gone From the wind storm, I

It's from the classic "REAL n##ga Quotes". Stay classy Michelle and WH.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,940 times
Or, how about this one:

Quote:
anibus: Yeah yeah Me and my man Com Sense Rallyin troops like Joseph Stalin Where you at yo?

Common: I'm bout to make the name Com Sense a name you fear Y'all *****z is scared I'm your worst nightmare squared

Canibus: And I'ma make the name Canibus a name you fear Y'all *****z is scared I'm your worst nightmare squared

Canibus and Common: That's double for *****z who ain't mathematically aware (Rakim from "My Melody"(To catch another sucka duck MC out there)

Common: I can tell by how you write, you the type to run in a fight I hold mics while you hold Sprite Like a broken hearted ***** Don't give no **** who yo team or who you startin with Cameoed or charted with, I house *****z like apartments with Mic mechanisms, I dissect a rhythm Move crowds with kinetic wisdom It's like a Malcolm X-orcisim, **** the rhythm, I hit him I want him got not get him, auction his wack ass off, then bid him

Canibus: I'm creatin the ultimate verses with perfect lines Puttin together them whether my rhyme one threat at a time So you *****z need to stop testin me Cuz you know you can't "F" with me Steppin to me with insuperior weaponry Exposin yourself to the verbal radiations Sayin you can defeat me is nothin but speculation Lyrics unravel, faster than bullets travel through barrels *****z be diggin my styles like fossils and pterodactyls Who wanna battle? I'm bad to the bone marrow The Earth got one sun but I walk with three shadows With Allah, my supernatural bodyguard *****z couldn't touch me if they gave me a massage MCs will compete with lyrics and beats get crushed I'll hit you in your chest so hard, your shoulders will touch What!

(scratching) Common, steppin to me is like going to the county being a neutron Common, I ain't scared of no *****

Common: I persue sound fairs, relaxed like Dru Down's hair Other *****'s rhymes are like gang signs, I throw down theirs On knots, I landed, players get played like Hamlet Supposedly nice, taken for granted like life I write twice and drop singles in record pools *****z I'm dunkin like when cops mingle **** hip hop jingles, rhymin big words and not sayin **** The click that you came in with accent your flavor wit Like moose, I go to the caves and get *****z off all fours I'm the **** that's uncalled for, the **** that you fall for Far more advanced than a rapper who's career You could only take a glance, couldn't make the transition From B-boy to C-note stance I stand in a circumference, the humbleness But in the Chi, bumbleless Was thinkin as a weakness were poetrys in motion Like a *****, I'm the main feature Amongst hard working teachers and corrupt preachers I make my living off of singles like Latifah In between sheets like reefer with blunted senses You couldn't make a statement if you was from a sentence I'm cold with numb intentions

(scratching)**** with Canibus(x4)

Canibus: Yo, the Canibus is an animal with a mechanical mandible Comin to damage you, spittin understandable slang at you I be the all seeing lyrical, hammerhead sharp peripheral With 360 degree visual When the signal was given, MCs get biten with venom From a poisonous algorithm liable to kill 'em My style will get in 'em, way up in 'em My face don't belong in The Source It belongs on the shroud of turan, for certain I grab mics and murder **** It's wickeder than Satan worshippers going to Catholic church services You heard of this The lyrical verbalist, trash herbalist The wrath of my cold-blooded verses is merciless Rap snap, get your ass cracked like bear traps Contaminate your air sacs like tear gas And I swear black, try to battle me, you won't last I'll turn your ass into the artist formerly known as, you gay ass *** I'll blow you to ashes with tactics Strip you naked, then make you hug a cactus, you bastard So phat to be a rap star, takin pictures at music seminars People know who you are Now I got mad shorties that wanna call me Because they saw me, up in The Source chillin on page 40 Put this in your CD-ROM www dot Canibus dot com You can find me on the internet talkin to chicks That was sweatin me off the Music Makes Me High remix I be talkin mad trash tryin to get 'em to laugh See, if I click and drag long enough, I'll get the ass Bring it bag to the lab on Mount Prospect Ave. Let your chicken suck me off and send her home in a cab You know how we do, liquid aluminum like the T2 Beast from the East part 2, comin to see you

Common: It's time I made the name Com Sense a name y

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,108 times
Quote:
Um, actually, they had us sing that song when I was a kid. Bang bang Maxwell Sillverhammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies