Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Getting back to what he does best - hanging out with crooks, millionaires and celebrities.
He's visiting Congress again?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Oh and what do you know Common is a member of the Trinity Church in Chicago! HAHA! What a joke! When are Americans going to wake [MOD CUT]up? The puppet clown in the white house does not care about middle class Americans. He's beholden to his corporate/wallstreet hacks. His wife is a complete and utter disgrace. She needs to go!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: language

Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude is getting honored. Get over it. I know he doesn't fit the description of the people you'd rather honor, but times have changed since 1950.
They certainly have changed. Who would have thought that the President of the United States would be honoring a supporter of a convicted cop killer and a reported domestic terrorist?

And who would have thought that the First Lady would be holding teaching sessions for our children with instruction by someone who supports a convicted cop killer and a reported domestic terrorist?

I'm not sure many American Voters were aware of this extreme radical leanings of Obama when they voted for him last time. I think they are becoming better informed for the next election.

Liberals support, conservatives slam rapper (http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20110511/pl_dailycaller/liberalssupportconservativesattackrapperswhitehous einvite_1 - broken link)

Interestingly, just learned that Common apparently has voiced opposition to interracial relationships. Hmmmmm.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
So, you've never read Huckleberry Finn or any of the other literary works where non-standard English was used?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If young children are going to be discussing this in depth with Michelle Obama, don't you think we should be teaching them proper English instead of slang anything? Rap/ebonics, white/rock, it really doesn't matter.

Btw, your example there is more similar to scat than anything. No way to confuse that with regular English...since it's not English to begin with, it's just sounds.

If anything, we should be teaching an appreciation of music, not some poetry crap done by a rapper who talks about Uzis, pimps, Black Panthers and women's sagging *******.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Forget trying to justify honoring Common to these folks. He's black, and he's a rapper. That's all a lot of these people need to know. They don't listen to his music, and they just google his lyrics and read them without having a clue to the context of the songs they're contained in. If he were honoring Eminem, you wouldn't hear a peep.

Common is getting honored. Deal with it. If you don't like it, then tough.
Actually, the word 'honored' is from the OP's article. If many other artists are being invited besides the controversial one, how is that 'honoring' that one particular person?

IS he being honored? Is he getting a medal or something? Or were a group of artists just invited to the white house, which occurs in all administrations?

Using the word 'hororing' in the article is just being inflamatory, IMO.

ps: I don't care one way or the other; I stopped listening to popular music back in the early 70s!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
You got that right, as long as the source is FOX Lies, The Blaze or Newsmax it IS gospel with the
right wingnuts on this forum....

The "source" is the guy's own lyrics.
Or is "Fox lies" your answer to every question?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
They certainly have changed. Who would have thought that the President of the United States would be honoring a supporter of a convicted cop killer and a reported domestic terrorist?

And who would have thought that the First Lady would be holding teaching sessions for our children with instruction by someone who supports a convicted cop killer and a reported domestic terrorist?

I'm not sure many American Voters were aware of this extreme radical leanings of Obama when they voted for him last time. I think they are becoming better informed for the next election.

Liberals support, conservatives slam rapper (http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20110511/pl_dailycaller/liberalssupportconservativesattackrapperswhitehous einvite_1 - broken link)

Interestingly, just learned that Common apparently has voiced opposition to interracial relationships. Hmmmmm.
He discussed his feelings in a song. Yea, he seemingly has or had a problem with it. So?

I'm in an interracial marriage, and i'm still a huge fan of his work. I'm not going to condense the totality of a man down to one song when his work is multi-faceted.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,977 times
There's absolutely no real culture in the Obama White House - not a single drop of etiquette, class or dignity will ever be seen when an Obama is present.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
This is much ado about nothing! This is another attempt of "Guilt by Association" by the rightwing towards Obama! Common did not shoot a cop! He merely expressed his feelings in a song.
The Obama hate continues by the "tin foil" rightwingers!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
I love how the Obama's are rubbing in it the faces of the "holier than thou" crowd by
not uninviting Common!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies