Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
hah. My solution is to keep down the path we are on. EPA is imperfect but it is a hell of a lot better than letting the fox guard the henhouse. "Deregulate and forget about it" is why the BP spill occured.

I kept asking you who was going to fund these so called "independent" investigators, but you kept dodging that. I guess I will have to fill in the blanks with default GOP policy.

Republicans usually like this tactic of:
A) gutting environmental regulations
B) cutting regulator's budgets
C) blaming "ineffective regulators" whenever a crisis occurs due to lack of regulations.
D) rinse, repeat.

It is a brilliant solution if you don't care at all about air, soil, and water quality.
There were plenty of regulations when the BP oil spill occured.

You may want to look at recent budgets passed by Republicans. To say they have cut environmental budgets is just a lie. And it was Republicans that started the EPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Tax?

Look at all the wonderful things our government did, before entitlements!
We had roads and infrastructure!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There were plenty of regulations when the BP oil spill occured.

You may want to look at recent budgets passed by Republicans. To say they have cut environmental budgets is just a lie. And it was Republicans that started the EPA.

Also the pictures of the bridge collapse. Plenty of regulations and inspectors there. But who was liable? Who was held accountable?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tell me this...

What is stopping GE and the oil companies, from moving shop overseas, and just importing it. Oh wait...

They are already paying more in fees regulations and every other aspect of business, than any other place in the world.
Taxes, import taxes are considerably more then the subsidies they receive.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
if that is the case, why does business fight against more regulation? If ALL companies are regulated and "TAXED" equally then the costs is part of doing business for everyone and there is no competitive advantage. Business should encourage regulation for their own protection.

The real reason businesses fight regulation is GREED, they do not want people seeing what is going on behind the curtain. They don't want to anyone knowing about the corners they cut and what's in the trash they sell us.

Less regulation = cardboard in dog food, lead in kids' toys, tainted veggies, mad cow in our burgers...

maybe we should quit inspecting our roads and bridges and see what happens... oh, that's right, we already know what will happen.
All regulation does is allow the larger comapnies to gain a competitive advantage over smaller companies. Large companies often like regulation and taxes because they can eat the cost but it eliminates new competitors from entering the market. Anyone that wants more regulation is really just a homer for multi-billion dollar corporations.

Comapnies that put cardboard in dog food, lead in kids toys etc... wil not be able to sell products and stay in business very long. Unless you think consumers are retarded? And retailers thatsell the stuff won't be in business long either. Going out of business serves as a pretty good deterant.

Liberals only think in terms of greed and profit. They forget that it is possible for people to lose everything rather quickly when they don't provide what the customer wants. That is the regulation.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Also the pictures of the bridge collapse. Plenty of regulations and inspectors there. But who was liable? Who was held accountable?

I'm thinking back to my days in high school and college. Never heard one of those really smart go-getter types that graduated at the top of the class say they wanted to be a government regulator. LOLs.

Makes me wonder what the IQ level of these people is?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Government

Government

Need I continue? They do a lot more then redistribute wealth and causing problems.
It's been proven over and over that government spends 2-4 times as much as the private sector on anything it touches.

That is why the create monopolies. They can't compete.

Your right though. They do do a lot more than redistribute welath. They cause wars and famine and other things that lead to the miserable deaths of millions.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
It's been proven over and over that government spends 2-4 times as much as the private sector on anything it touches.

That is why the create monopolies. They can't compete.

Your right though. They do do a lot more than redistribute welath. They cause wars and famine and other things that lead to the miserable deaths of millions.
When has the private sector sent men to the moon?

Some jobs are simply to big for private sectors, and can only be done by a government program.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Like who?

obviously if they are on BP's dime, they are neither independent nor unbiased.
Pribvate regualtion third parties don't work?

Total liberal bs.

Underwriterws Labratory
American Dental Association
Consumers Union
Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval
Micrsoft Certifications
Green Seal
Eco-Rating International
The Orthodox Union
IHPEG
RSAC
Dunn & Bradstreet
Better Business Bureaus

And of course we have retailers. If I am Kroger do I want to sell food that will kill customers? No. So I regulate the people I do business with. If I am Radio Shack do I want to sell electronics that break down or electrocute people? No. So I regulate who I buy from.

Is that enough examples for you?

Plus, there are only like a million magazines and other media oulets that evaulate and rate products. They aint that hard to find either.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When has the private sector sent men to the moon?

Some jobs are simply to big for private sectors, and can only be done by a government program.
The private sector has never sent a man to the moon. Then again, no private sector sector person has tried.

The private sector has sent people into outer space. And at a much cheaper cost than NASA ever dreamed of. No reason that a private citizen couldn't get to the moon.

No job is too big for the prvate sector. That's just government propaganda. There isn't one thing done by government that hasn't been done better and more cheaply by the private sector. Not one. Well, except war and killing people. Government does a pretty good job of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies