Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns - FoxNews.com

With a stroke of the governor's pen, Florida is positioned to become the first state in the nation to prohibit physicians from asking patients if they have guns in their homes, a move some doctors say will interfere with health care.

The Florida Senate passed House Bill 155 last month by a 27-10 vote and the measure now awaits the signature of Republican Gov. Rick Scott. If signed, it would ban doctors from asking about the presence of guns or ammunition in the home.

Republican State Rep. Jason Brodeur, a sponsor of the bill, proposed the legislation following an incident in which a Florida pediatrician told a mother to find another doctor when she refused to answer questions about guns in her home.

Supporters of the legislation, including the National Rifle Association, say they're seeking to stop doctors from invading their privacy. Critics of the bill, however, claim that doctors need to ask patients about guns to ensure their safety and to make sure they remain out of the reach of children
Okay, first of all...why would a doctor ever ask such a thing? (unless somebody is a Psych patient, which then yes, they should ask)

Second...aren't the republicans always b&^%$*!g and moaning about government staying out of their lives/ too many useless "laws" creating a nanny state?

I don't understand the republicans, and probably never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Lets see, someone mentally unstable has a firearm. Doctor can't ask them about it, the mentally unstable person kills themself or someone else. Death could have been easily prevented. Sounds smart......

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals are weird. They want the government to invade the relationship between a doctor and a patient when it comes to guns and finding out who has guns in their home.

But try to show a patient a sonagram of the patient's own baby and the liberals are outraged.
Uh, I believe it's the conservative government of Florida that is invading the doctor-patient relationship. No liberals have come on here to defend this law that FORBIDS doctors from asking their patients a question.

Try to let the doctor ask a question s/he feels appropriate and the cons are outraged.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I have never had a doctor or dentist ask me that. I could maybe understand an optometrist asking that, after all it might affect your aim.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I have never had a doctor or dentist ask me that. I could maybe understand an optometrist asking that, after all it might affect your aim.
This is about PEDIATRICIANS! Good grief.

Florida Bill Could Muzzle Doctors On Gun Safety : NPR

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

You have to be kidding me. Why would anyone tell their doctor about anything they have at home????? What idiot would do that.

Doctors have no business asking about anything I have at home and if they did, I would tell them to mind their own business.

On the other hand, what idiot lawmakers would pass such a stupid bill. We don't need doctors asking about our guns and we don't need laws preventing them from asking.

Is the whole world going down the drain? Do we need stupid laws to tell stupid doctors what they can do??

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is about PEDIATRICIANS! Good grief.

Florida Bill Could Muzzle Doctors On Gun Safety : NPR
How exactly is telling pediatricians they can educate but not interrogate muzzling them?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I've had a couple of occasions when I've had to take my wife to the emergency room and there has always been a time when they've asked me to step away so they could ask her if she's in a safe relationship.

I've always been pleased that they do that because the practice most likely protects some women who are being victimized by their husbands.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
We're the party of small government, not the party of no government. The question is invasive and impertinent. It is not even remotely medical in nature and no doctor should be able to turn away sick people for not kowtowing to their nosiness.
So we should FORCE doctors to accept certain patients?

What happened to the doctors' rights?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
How exactly is telling pediatricians they can educate but not interrogate muzzling them?
If a doctor suspects a parent could be endangering a child, they are legally bound in most (if not all states) to report it. If they get the vibe that a parent is irresponsible, why shouldn't they get to ask about a gun?? Its a potential danger to the child (and other children) Its part of the job, protecting children, not the second amendment rights of idiot parents.

Asking does not infringe on any rights that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies