Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,525,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Right, because in the land of the free and home of the brave tyranny can NEVER happen here Why? Cause we're 'merica daggone goshdarnit!
Of course it could, but all too many are constantly looking for the boogeyman under their beds. Not everything is some vast conspiracy for the government to seize power from the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,305,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How would it get rid of illegals ?
They don't need DL's now to drive or work.
They exist in the underground economy and this will not "fix it".
I gave you the answer to that way back on page 4 but I see you're still not grasping the concept of how the National ID cards will do serious damage to the underground economy by closing down the employers who don't comply with only hiring legals. Now, they can get away with it because.......see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

Because the second half of the national ID program is to require anyone who gets hired anywhere to have to show the national ID card and there will be instant confirmation via computer for employers to be able to see if the card was reported lost or stolen or if it's faked from someone dead. Now, with illegals using fake S.S. cards, that S.S. data is spread out over 3 data bases and it takes up to two weeks (or longer) for employers to get confirmation on a good or bad card. By then, the day and field work those illegals often get is over and the illegal is long gone. Cut off the employment opportunities for illegals is how the national ID card will severely limit their reasons for coming here in the first place.
The third phrase puts repeat offender employers hiring illegals in a whole world of sh*t.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,419,094 times
Quote:
I gave you the answer to that way back on page 4 but I see you're still not grasping the concept of how the National ID cards will do serious damage to the underground economy by closing down the employers who don't comply with only hiring legals. Now, they can get away with it because.......see below.

The third phrase puts repeat offender employers hiring illegals in a whole world of sh*t.
Can you show me where the Real ID Act states that ?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Can you show me where the Real ID Act states that ?
It's part of the broader Immigration Act....Verifying Worker Employment Eligibility and working to make E-verifying instant and fraud-proof lust the need for the National ID card. I don't get the push-back on this. We all have S.S. cards now. It's my understanding that the National ID card will eventually take its place and be safer and tamper proof.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,419,094 times
Quote:
It's part of the broader Immigration Act....Verifying Worker Employment Eligibility and working to make E-verifying instant and fraud-proof lust the need for the National ID card. I don't get the push-back on this. We all have S.S. cards now. It's my understanding that the National ID card will eventually take its place and be safer and tamper proof.
There is no National ID card.
This is the Real ID Act which mandates rules on individual state driver licenses.

You need more than a driver license to prove citizenship though.
And a driver license is not a required document..especially if you don't drive.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
This is the Real ID Act which mandates rules on individual state driver licenses.

And a driver license is not a required document..especially if you don't drive.
That's still debatable---whether or not the Real ID Act is a National ID card. (See below) It may not be a National ID card like Homeland Security originally proposed but new state mandates that requires licenses to have bar codes and smart card technology basically turns them into one because they are linkable to all federal and other state databases.

Quote:
There is disagreement about whether the Real ID Act institutes a "national identification card" system.[32] The new law only sets forth national standards, but leaves the issuance of cards and the maintenance of databases in state hands; therefore, the Department of Homeland Security claims it is not a "national ID" system.[33] Web sites such as no2realid.org, unrealid.com, and realnightmare.org argue that this is a trivial distinction, and that the new cards are in fact national ID cards, thanks to the uniform national standards created by the AAMVA and (especially) the linked databases, and by the fact that such identification is mandatory if people wish to travel out of the US.
REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically, you can say these new state licenses under the Real ID Act are not National IDs and I can say they are and we'd both be correct---it's just semantics. They will and can serve that purpose.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,434,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Actually we are required to carry or be able to produce I should say, a government issued form of identification of name and residence.

Citizenship is not required.
Only if you are a legal resident, not a US citizen. Federal immigration laws require legal residents to carry their paperwork and present them to law enforcement when asked. However, there is no federal penalty for not doing so. Which is why Section 3 of the AZ immigration law was tossed by the courts. States can enact their own immigration laws, but States cannot penalize anyone more than the federal immigration laws penalize them.

With regard to US citizens, no identification is necessary (unless you are operating a motorized vehicle, of course). All that is required is that you provide your full legal name when asked by law enforcement. No ID, no driver's license, no proof, no address, just your full legal name is all that is necessary. This was the Supreme Court ruling in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004).

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,444,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If it would get rid of these bloodsucking illegals, I'm all for it.
Stop being so paranoid and move on with your life.
Or leave with the bloodsuckers.
Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it and it probably won't turn out to be ANYTHING like what you envisioned.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,434,246 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct, and it is within Congress' constitutional authority to establish those requirements.

Quote:
Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof. [emphasis added]

Source: Article IV, Section 1, Clause 1 of the US Constitution
Quote:
Not in Alaska. Before anyone is issued an Alaskan driver's license they must provide proof of either US citizenship or legal residence. In the case of legal residents, their driver's license expires on the same date their resident status expires.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,444,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I got my Maryland driver's license before REAL ID was fully put in to place, but it already complies with most of its provisions.

I'm having trouble figuring out what there is on my driver's license that's so awful.
It is the chip inside the tape in back that is so terrible. Look at this to see what it can do.

YouTube - Gregory Evans talking about RFID chips on CNN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies