Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nationwide, Medicaid covers four of every 10 births and seven of every 10 nursing home residents. In New York, Medicaid covers half of live births and 76 percent of nursing home residents.
There's no need for any changes...keep going just the way things are. Right over the cliff.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
There are far too many people who need help.
Then why are you wasting your time here? Get out and help them. I won't stop you.

Quote:
What happens when you have all of these sick people and no means to help them ?
I don't know and I don't care. You are sadly mistaken if you think my function on Planet Earth is to subsidize the life-styles of other people.

I'm not from New York and don't live in New York. I would hope that if the people of New York believe they have the need for medical assistance that they would have enough brains to figure out a way to do it cost-effectively and efficiently without bleeding the rest of America dry.

This might come as a shock to you, but it is not the function of America to service New York, and certainly not at the expense of other Americans.

And if the people of New York are too stupid to figure out how to do that without soaking everyone else, that isn't my problem, that's their problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
There is nothing in the Constitution that grants the federal govt the power to be benevolent.
Don't confuse them. There is no "General Welfare" clause in the US Constitution, and in fact the phrase is actually "general Welfare," not "General Welfare." Perhaps the liberals could take some of their Medicaid savings and use it for remedial English, since they mucked up public education so badly.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Sooner or later it was bound to happen and not only in NY.
More people taking money via programs than paying in.

The scales have tipped and we cannot afford the entitlement programs anymore.
Sad to say but there's hard times coming and it won't be pretty.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sooner or later it was bound to happen and not only in NY.
More people taking money via programs than paying in.

The scales have tipped and we cannot afford the entitlement programs anymore.
Sad to say but there's hard times coming and it won't be pretty.

“Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim - when he defends himself - as a criminal.” - Frederic Bastiat

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
“Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim - when he defends himself - as a criminal.” - Frederic Bastiat
It's coming down to "Every man for himself".
I say prepare yourself. I don't see any "V" shaped recovery anytime in the near future.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
we need to stop spending FEDERALLY on medicaid..let it be a STATE issue

Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
GOP plan to stop spending on Medicaid in New York. Here's the article:
GOP Medicaid plan would slash N.Y. funding | Press & Sun-Bulletin | pressconnects.com
Abut half of the people in Nursing Homes are on Medicaid, so the next time granny comes for a visit, she'll be staying

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
There are far too many people who need help. What happens when you have all of these sick people and no means to help them ? We should be more compassionate of our fellow Americans and other people in general.

Yeah, yeah, I meet these people all the time. They complain about a sore back until they get a permanent disability, but they really just work under the table and laugh at me for bustin' my butt to pay for it. I'm pushin' 50. Do you think my back doesn't hurt after I swing a hammer all day? I've never taken Medicaid, general assistance, food stamps or even unemployment insurance. I can do it, and I know a lot of the mooches on Medicaid can do it too.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
You are hijacking this thread which is about Medicaid.

Bombs don't cost money which could be used for domestic social programs?

Where have I heard that question posed before?

Oh yeah, that's right. I've heard that over and over by liberals on this forum.

Being proven to be wrong doesn't mean your thread has been hijacked.

Dear Leader has gotten us involved in yet a third war for reasons which are a mystery.

Personally, I think both Medicaid and pointless wars are wasteful.

If you want to argue for Medicaid while giving a pass to Dear Leader for starting a war with Libya without Congressional authorization, don't come on CD boo-hooin' about AW Republicans. If "W" had started an unauthorized war with Libya for apparently no particularly compelling reason, you'd be calling for an impeachment.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then why are you wasting your time here? Get out and help them. I won't stop you.

I don't know and I don't care. You are sadly mistaken if you think my function on Planet Earth is to subsidize the life-styles of other people.

I'm not from New York and don't live in New York. I would hope that if the people of New York believe they have the need for medical assistance that they would have enough brains to figure out a way to do it cost-effectively and efficiently without bleeding the rest of America dry.

This might come as a shock to you, but it is not the function of America to service New York, and certainly not at the expense of other Americans.

And if the people of New York are too stupid to figure out how to do that without soaking everyone else, that isn't my problem, that's their problem.

Don't confuse them. There is no "General Welfare" clause in the US Constitution, and in fact the phrase is actually "general Welfare," not "General Welfare." Perhaps the liberals could take some of their Medicaid savings and use it for remedial English, since they mucked up public education so badly.

Reading the Constitution, it is impossible to interpret "general welfare" to mean anything except that the efforts of the federal government to perform the functions only the federal government can and in the interest of a state or group of states are to be done without preference of one state over another, but generally. This provision is logically connected and coequal with providing for the "common defense". More importantly, both are simply limits on the purposes for which the enumerated power to tax may be used and grant Congress no powers not specifically given by the other enumerated powers. To interpret the meaning of "general welfare" any other way defies the logic of purposefully listing powers granted to Congress and the specific language of the text.

Article I | LII / Legal Information Institute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies