Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

Actually, you would be ahead of the game, if you were already planning to purchase a house, and even further ahead of you bought a repossession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
soooo is it Obama's fault someone bought a 200k house for 250k only because they wanted an $8,000 tax credit? I can't remember how many bidding wars people got into over houses for a tax credit. I guess it's Obama's fault these dummies didn't understand basic math Or maybe they've been watching too many episodes of "Flip This House" and thought they were going to get the tax credit...and make a profit on the house...in a lagging economy...only a year later...
It is not the place of the federal government to be getting involved in such subsidies and market manipulations to begin with. Get it yet?

You cannot blame farmers for taking advantage of federal crop insurance or CRP payments for not planting as long as the government is incentivising them to do just that. Just as you cannot blame wannabe homeowners for taking advantage of government offered subsidies to purchase a home. Yes, it is the fault of the government for offering the subsidies to begin with.

You realize subsidies only serve as payola for votes to whichever group they are offered, right?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
How can they force the market? I didn't realize someone put a gun to the heads of all those banks forcing them to loan to those who were unqualified.
Really, you still refuse to see it? They force a market by offering the subsidy and the use thereof within a certain time frame.

How many people did energy improvements to their homes by 2010 who would not have done so otherwise had the government not underwritten up to 1/3rd of it (or more in certain cases)?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The government's recent $8,000 cash incentive for first-time home buyers has proved even more costly for recipients than for taxpayers, according to data released Monday. Typical buyers have lost twice as much to price declines as they received from the program.!

And why is this a surprise?

One thing we know to be true: EVERY government program is fraught with waste and fraud.

And another thing we know to be true: The bigger the program, the bigger the waste and fraud (see FEMA at Katrina).

We should stop all of these wasteful programs.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is not the place of the federal government to be getting involved in such subsidies and market manipulations to begin with. Get it yet?

You cannot blame farmers for taking advantage of federal crop insurance or CRP payments for not planting as long as the government is incentivising them to do just that. Just as you cannot blame wannabe homeowners for taking advantage of government offered subsidies to purchase a home. Yes, it is the fault of the government for offering the subsidies to begin with.

You realize subsidies only serve as payola for votes to whichever group they are offered, right?

ok ok i get it the government shouldn't offer any advantages or tax breaks to anyone...guess I should not try having kids or stop paying my student loans for all those tax incentives......

Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Aw, did you guys not get your 8k?

First time home buyer's credit + historically low mortgage rates + interest deduction + energy tax credits = good deal for me. It has put over $20,000 in my pocket via credits or deductions since I bought my house in October 2009.

Incenting economic activity does not equate to forcing people to make stupid financial decisions. If someone makes a bad financial decision; it's on them, not a federal tax credit.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

The side-effects of both were lousy: usable vehicles were crushed, driving up prices for those at the lower end of the market and home prices were arbitrarily inflated for a spell, delaying the market mechanism that would have brought prices to the right level so that a true recovery could begin. It was middle-class welfare.

I could not say that any better. In fact, I've been saying that since day one for both these programs.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post

First time home buyer's credit + historically low mortgage rates + interest deduction + energy tax credits = good deal for me. It has put over $20,000 in my pocket via credits or deductions since I bought my house in October 2009.

Incenting economic activity does not equate to forcing people to make stupid financial decisions. If someone makes a bad financial decision; it's on them, not a federal tax credit.
As long as Freddie/Fannie are in tact bad decisions and defaults are on the taxpayer. Or had you not noticed the previous Freddie/Fannie housing debacle yet?

Now please answer this question honestly: Had those taxpayer funded incentives not been there, would you still have purchased the same house and made the same energy upgrades had the money come solely from your own pocket?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM

268 posts, read 391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post

According to Zillow the average price of a home in the U.S. is about 8 percent lower than it was a year ago and that it continues to fall about 1 percent a month.

BYE BYE 20K

Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Who said you had to take the tax credit? Nobody forced anyone to participate.
Whether you took the credits or not, had no bearing on the fact that the average housing price continues to fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies