Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You can't try to continue a social order where White Privilege accord you social, economic and political advantages if White Men are dating and marrying and having children with Black women in large numbers. Unless of course, you don't feel a need to preserve that social order.
I don't think a lot of "Whites" really care about preserving a White social order. Over the last 25 years many whites have been led to believe they really don't need to take pride in theyre race and many people are fine with that. In my opinion Nationalistic ideals whether they are Race, Ethnic or in some other form have not served this world very well, unless population control through warfare is desirable.

Sorry OP about getting off topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Who cares?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimme View Post
you know what? Nobody cares.
+1.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
is the UK more accepting? if you judge it off media you would think so.. i watch several british shows and they include black women in alot of things including dating like it is no big deal at all. which makes me wana move to london in hopes i could have an easier time then i do in america with anything including dating.

but recently i read that interracial marriage between black women and white men are at a record high in the UK...if i find the article again ill post the link

Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
LOL, look at the ads on this page!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
White guilt makes White Male-Black Female relationships a borderline taboo. It hearkens back to when slave owners had relationships with enslaved Black women. Whether consensual or not, the power imbalance made such relationships illegitimate if not an abuse of power.

Black Male-White Female relationships are far more politically correct since it reverses the shameful time when black men were accosted or even killed for whistling at White women.

I actually think the opposite is true:

In The United States, we've defined black males as the personification of evil. Thus, for the woman, a black male/white female relationship is seen as a form of "sleeping with the devil".

On the other hand, relationships between white males and black females are seen by many as exotic and eclectic. At any rate, they certainly carry far less stigma within the white community.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Default Is this thread still open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
Didn't the same dynamics exist under British colonial rule in Africa and the Caribbean? Interestingly, many black British women and white British men do not seem to have the same issues as their American counterparts...
I suspect this to be true. In America "race" has become many's meal ticket...it affords a lot of people their livelihood; one reason why any logical discourse about it and ultimate elimination of "racial" categories is light years away from every occuring. If people really understood the economic benefits of perpetuating "race" in the U.S. then it would come to an end, instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'm Jamaican.

In more Caribbean households we're taught not to date black America women due to attitude, if you're bothered by this I cannot help you but the point remains attitude has alot to do with it and many overseas are generally more accepted and less hated.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist because I've though more than my share but the American culture is a good part of the problem.
Ok, seriously? This is so not true. In YOUR household you were taught this. My sister's ex was Caribbean and he only dated black American women. Perhaps your parents just wanted you to date/marry a white or other nonblack American to be accepted...hmmm.

OP Original Question: What accounts for these differences between the UK and the US?

I believe it has a lot to do with how slavery ended in the US vs the UK. In the UK, there was no civil unrest so to speak about slavery like in the US...there wasn't an internal split with the countries that made up the UK, while in the US, the states were against each other about the expansion and continuation of slavery.

After the Union won the American Civil War, race relations actually became worse than the institution of slavery itself. Remember, the Civil Rights Movement was nearly 100 years AFTER slavery was abolished in the US...pretty sad actually. So, racial tensions in the US have been more aggravated than in the UK, for a shorter period of time. IMO.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-04-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'm Jamaican.

In more Caribbean households we're taught not to date black America women due to attitude, if you're bothered by this I cannot help you but the point remains attitude has alot to do with it and many overseas are generally more accepted and less hated.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist because I've though more than my share but the American culture is a good part of the problem.
I know of a Haitian woman who was taught the same thing. Her parents preferred for her to date a Haitian man, but they had no problems with men of other ethnicities with one notable exception. The first thing her mother said was "NO AFRICAN-AMERICAN MEN". I have heard this from some African women as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Yes, because black men in England consider themselves to be part of society instead of "da hood"

Use belts to hold up their pants so they can walk hand in hand with their wife....

They respect family and want the best for their children....

They consider themselves to be Englishmen instead of African-English...

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
When I dated a black lady, the dirty, nasty, mean looks and comments came from black men and women. Most were directed at her for "acting white".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies