U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM

139 posts, read 143,914 times

Advertisements

In truth, race still plays a major role in the U.S.; therefore, people will continue to regard interracial dating as pathological. I'm always however amazed that outside of the U.S., race and black/white interracial unions are not viewed in the same context.

For example, in the U.S., (generally speaking) black women and white men rarely date or interact with each other (outside of the workplace); this is even true in major metropolitan areas like LA, NYC, Chicago, DC and Atlanta. Some people will argue that the lack of interaction/dating is due to white men and black women not generally finding each other attractive. Well, this may be true for some, but the reality is, there's an unspoken rule (in terms of socialization) of both groups. Young black American girls are taught to only desire black males and white men (like all other races of men) are socialized (via movies, TV and publications) to accept the Caucasian ideal as the epitome of true beauty.

In other parts of the world however, where the socialization is not so persistent, there seems to be more interactions between white men and black women. The below video struck me as quite interesting, due to how the couple met.

Why is there so much acceptance of black/white interracial unions in places like London and Manchester? -Also, why are black women and white men interracial marriage rates above 30% in the UK, while the U.S. interracial marriage rates between black women and white men is more or less non existent?

What accounts for these differences between the UK and the US?

UK Interracial Couple

YouTube - BOYFRIEND TAG FINALLY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
White guilt makes White Male-Black Female relationships a borderline taboo. It hearkens back to when slave owners had relationships with enslaved Black women. Whether consensual or not, the power imbalance made such relationships illegitimate if not an abuse of power.

Black Male-White Female relationships are far more politically correct since it reverses the shameful time when black men were accosted or even killed for whistling at White women.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,742,092 times
You will find that interracial marriage is more accepted in the north and western US that in the south. It has come along way but there are still prejudices out there.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,537,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
In truth, race still plays a major role in the U.S.; therefore, people will continue to regard interracial dating as pathological. I'm always however amazed that outside of the U.S., race and black/white interracial unions are not viewed in the same context.

For example, in the U.S., (generally speaking) black women and white men rarely date or interact with each other (outside of the workplace); this is even true in major metropolitan areas like LA, NYC, Chicago, DC and Atlanta. Some people will argue that the lack of interaction/dating is due to white men and black women not generally finding each other attractive. Well, this may be true for some, but the reality is, there's an unspoken rule (in terms of socialization) of both groups. Young black American girls are taught to only desire black males and white men (like all other races of men) are socialized (via movies, TV and publications) to accept the Caucasian ideal as the epitome of true beauty.

In other parts of the world however, where the socialization is not so persistent, there seems to be more interactions between white men and black women. The below video struck me as quite interesting, due to how the couple met.

Why is there so much acceptance of black/white interracial unions in places like London and Manchester? -Also, why are black women and white men interracial marriage rates above 30% in the UK, while the U.S. interracial marriage rates between black women and white men is more or less non existent?

I think it's because the black culture in Europe is closer to the mainstream than black culture in the US.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,277,189 times
Quote:

UK Interracial Couple

YouTube - BOYFRIEND TAG FINALLY!!!!
You know what? Nobody cares.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,630,513 times
Quote:

More proof that people need to stop dating with criteria based on RACE/skin color, and find an individual OF ANY BACKGROUND to date.

Who CARES that "white men" date more "white women" than "black women"? REALLY? Who the heck should care?

Who CARES about who dates who in what COLOR concentration or racial category?

FIND AN INDIVIDUAL. NOT A SKIN COLOR/"RACE" to date.

STOP labeling HUMANS according to RACE or SKIN COLOR.

When you see people as INDIVIDUALS the skin color/race they're wrapped up in DOESN'T MATTER.

Who the heck dates a "Race"? Nobody!

You date an individual male or female. Period.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM

857 posts, read 1,002,939 times
i think you would be surprised by who dates who. black women have such a complex when it comes to dating and even friendships...and I say this as a black woman I know so many women who only date/make friends with people of the same race--ugh! that's soooooo played out...

i'm married now (to a white guy no less) and have never had a problem dating anyone of any race in the United States. Men are men and, for the most part, will date any woman they can vibe with. I have dated across the spectrum and please believe that there are tons of white male/black female couples in the good ol' USA.

date whoever, regardless of race. be happy and stop dating along racial, socioeconomic lines and you might just find happiness. people are much more alike than they are different

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
More proof that people need to stop dating with criteria based on RACE/skin color, and find an individual OF ANY BACKGROUND to date.

Who CARES that "white men" date more "white women" than "black women"? REALLY? Who the heck should care?

Who CARES about who dates who in what COLOR concentration or racial category?

FIND AN INDIVIDUAL. NOT A SKIN COLOR/"RACE" to date.

STOP labeling HUMANS according to RACE or SKIN COLOR.

When you see people as INDIVIDUALS the skin color/race they're wrapped up in DOESN'T MATTER.

Who the heck dates a "Race"? Nobody!

You date an individual male or female. Period.
I agree with you, but unfortunately race does exist in this society and it defines how people view themselves in relation to others. I've always been one to simply judge a person by their individual merits. My question however is grounded in the fact that in the U.S., people may not be able to simply choose individuals irrespective of race, because they are mired in racial stereotypes or perceived historical injustices.

You specifically asked, 'Who cares about race...?"
Apparently the U.S. government and almost all major institutions care about it, because on every important form, a person is asked to check off the box denoting their racial classification.

In truth, I really wish that more people expressed your level of passion for eradicating race from our collective consciousness. This world would certainly be a better place.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
i think you would be surprised by who dates who. black women have such a complex when it comes to dating and even friendships...and I say this as a black woman I know so many women who only date/make friends with people of the same race--ugh! that's soooooo played out...
You're right, many black women do have a complex when it comes to this issue. As you mentioned, people should move beyond 'race' and simply be willing to judge a person by their individual merits.

Quote:
i'm married now (to a white guy no less) and have never had a problem dating anyone of any race in the United States. Men are men and, for the most part, will date any woman they can vibe with. I have dated across the spectrum and please believe that there are tons of white male/black female couples in the good ol' USA.
I agree 100% with you, but one can not negate the fact that there's definitely a big difference in the overall intermarriage rates between black women in the U.S. and the UK (for example).

Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I think it's because the black culture in Europe is closer to the mainstream than black culture in the US.
That's an interesting point, but truth be told, most black Americans are middle class, meaning they fall more or less in the center of the American mainstream. What's depicted via MTV and BET does not represent reality.

I think it's quite interesting that the U.S. media tends to relish in sensationalism by highlighting pathological behaviors. Don't you find it odd that the most ignorant individuals are routinely given lucrative record contracts by SONY, Warner Brothers, etc, and by virtue of this, chosen to represent the so-called authentic 'black experience?'

It's quite sad that many people actually believe these destructive images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies