Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:50 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times

Advertisements

My career counselor (after my layoff in late 2009) advised me to apply for a "civil service" job - I would have "low work load, paid vacation time, lots of paid sick days", etc., etc., etc. That was basically his description of it. If that's the direction unemployed people are being pointed, it is sad.

I didn't take his advice. It just seemed to me, job or not, like living off the government "teat". I found a job on my own, eventually, one that doesn't have a low work load, or paid vacation and sick days at the tax payers' expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You do know that the raises are up to Congress, correct? You also know that the federal workers get no "special" healthcare correct? They get healthcare just like most private sector equivalent workers get. In fact, when I left my private company, my premium increased because the government did not pay as much of the premium as did my hot shot defense contracting company. You also know that there has NEVER been a free retirement for the federal workforce, correct. Up until 1984, civil servants paid 7% of the salary to their retirement and they cannot collect social security benefits either. After 1984, the federal retirement went to a traditional 401K plan and social security pay in just like other private sector companies.

I'm not sure where you get your glorifed perception of the government worker but it is incorrect.

congress is part of the government.

breakdown of pay scale:

Chart: Federal versus Private Sector Salary Figures

healthcare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...nefits_Program
the government pays 2/3. who do you think is paying?

new jersey has introduced a government reality check act:
http://www.thewhitonline.com/2010/10/27/government-reality-check-act-looks-to-stop-government-perks/ (broken link)

i don't know what will happen with that.

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-14-2011 at 04:46 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
If you are out of work you now can apply for all of the new government jobs that will be invented during Obama's new term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies