Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,846,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You are a symptom of the plight that individualism has razed across this country... the feeling that an individual is not responsible at all for a mass decision that has been made. It's like those people who put bumper stickers on their cars that say "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry/McCain"... doesn't matter that you did. Neither Kerry nor McCain are in office.
Trying to hold an individual financially responsible for the actions of a mass which that individual was never a part of is moronic at best. Nobody today was alive and part of the mass that condoned slavery, therefore your entire premise is flawed.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,419,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And we have long since fulfilled those responsibilities.
Again, show me where the average of those who descended from slaves and others who were persecuted under Jim Crow have become equally successful members of society.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about Japanese. Their people were incarcerated during WWII here in the USA... pay them too..
They've already been payed.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,846,896 times
Quote:
You are the one making illogical points. Show me where the repercussions of slavery has ended. Show me where those whose ancestors were persecuted are living as equals among a society.

Also slavery is a social and monetary debt since slavery is unethical and immoral, and it results in poor psychology, sociology, and living standards for those who were under it and their descendants.
Every man is created equal and has equal rights under the United States constitution, what those men do with those rights is their own choice. Many people are born poor and work to better their lives, others are born poor and are happy just sitting back collecting those government checks. I'm not responsible for those who make the wrong choice, I'm already paying for those checks they collect.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
You are the one making illogical points. Show me where the repercussions of slavery has ended. Show me where those whose ancestors were persecuted are living as equals among a society.

Also slavery is a social and monetary debt since slavery is unethical and immoral, and it results in poor psychology, sociology, and living standards for those who were under it and their descendants.

Every human on earth has some ancestors that have been oppressed. And some are much more current than American slaves 150 years ago.

I don't need to prove that repercussions of slavery have ended. You have to prove they have not.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Again, show me where the average of those who descended from slaves and others who were persecuted under Jim Crow have become equally successful members of society.

Why? You miss the point. That is not an important measure at all. Equality of outcome is not a point of interest to me. Equality of opportunity is.

Show me where the average of those who descended from white southern farmers who had their farms confiscated after the civil war have become equally successful members of society.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Cut every person in the US a check for $50K because at one time or another in the history of the world their ancestors were discriminated against and treated badly.

There..now that we all get $50K cancel it because no country has that kind of extra money.
So let's make believe we all got $50K for reparations and call it a day and MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM

515 posts, read 716,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How about a little something for the ancestors of the men who died freeing the slaves????
Ooooo Wheeeeeee! Doncha know you're not supposed to mention a fact like that!

You may have offended someone by boldly stating a fact...and you know damn well how expensive, to us typical taxpayers, it is when you offend those who have civil (make that special) rights on their side.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.
Only Jews that were directly effected by the Holocaust received reparations. And the victims were still alive.

and, that was in Europe.

Blacks in America have gotten reparations in the form of social programs, affirmative action and many other programs.

Why didn't the Holocaust, which only happened 70 years ago, destroy the Jewish family structure?

lbj's social engineering ruined the black family structure.

Excuses, excuses.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm all for giving 40 acres and a mule to ANY former slaves. Heck...I'll even spring for a 2nd mule.
Anyone in America who can prove that they were held in slavery would deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.