Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Who teaches them how to shoot hand guns?

You can use raised beds if the soil is no good.

If people WANT to do something they can/will do it.

Anyway, kind of hard to grow BEEF in an urban environment, however.

20yrsinBranson
Handgun/grow food...handgun/grow food....handgun/grow food.

No matter how many times i say it, i can't find the connection. Help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I couldnt figure that one out, either, and I highly doubt she will be back to enlighten us.
I rather think that was a feeble attempt at a dig at me.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Food stamps are a dept. of Agriculture program, meant to give farmers a market for their products. RWs on this forum have argued in favor of farm subsidies for reasons of national security. They're just another form of farm subsidy.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.
Do any of you know how the food stamp program started? JFK was campaigning in Appalachia and to his amazement, discovered that there are people in America starving. He made a campaign promise on the spot to change that once elected.

Thus, there WAS a time when there wasn't a Food Stamp Program and it didn't make Americans more self sufficient nor more productive. It just made them hungry.

Since most of the recipients of the food program are children, yours is a cruel proposal. Nevertheless, with the same breathe I'm sure you are against cutting billions of subsidies from oil companies.

"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?" -- Scrooge

Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
You shouldn't think then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't think "Food Stamps" itself is the problem.

It is the people who make it a "lifestyle".

El Pasoans Feast On Food Stamps - News Story - KFOX El Paso

"If the parents aren't residents, [Texas Health and Human Services] will give them help for their children," Vargas said. She said she has been receiving food benefits for 15 years, since her son was born. Another El Paso woman told KFOX-14 that she has received benefits since her son was born 17 years ago."

There are people who actually NEED those benefits...but there should be a time limit just like unemployment. Seriously, 15, 17 years? That is just ridiculous.
Meh...it costs about 73 billion a year. Big deal. That's 31 weeks in Afghanistan, which is a complete waste of money and giving no one of any consequence any nutrition that i know of if you don't count our troops. And we can feed them a hell of a lot cheaper if they were here instead of over there.

So again, end the dumb wars and stupid defense spending, and i'll gladly consider an end to the food stamp program.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Do any of you know how the food stamp program started? JFK was campaigning in Appalachia and to his amazement, discovered that there are people in America starving. He made a campaign promise on the spot to change that once elected.

Thus, there WAS a time when there wasn't a Food Stamp Program and it didn't make Americans more self sufficient nor more productive. It just made them hungry.

Since most of the recipients of the food program are children, yours is a cruel proposal. Nevertheless, with the same breathe I'm sure you are against cutting billions of subsidies from oil companies.

Now wait...they say those poor children are coming to school hungry and need the free breakfast/lunch/dinner programs in the schools because they are not getting fed at home.

So which is it..?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

I agree with your quote, but the food stamp program goes back farther than Kennedy. It actually started in 1939. My grandparents got some of the old "surplus foods" back in the 50s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplem...stance_Program

http://www.nal.usda.gov/ric/ricpubs/foodstamps.htm

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

The point is......neither skill is something you are born with. Neither is diapering a baby, or rolling a joint, or cooking methamphetamine, which are all something that many, poor, underprivileged folks have mastered quite well.

If they can learn ^^^^^ that, they can learn how to grow a garden.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now wait...they say those poor children are coming to school hungry and need the free breakfast/lunch/dinner programs in the schools because they are not getting fed at home.

So which is it..?
Because the parents cant/wont get Food Stamps.
And your point was.........what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies