Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,323 times

Advertisements

I don't see a difference on where the **** came from. Today is today, and we will still put in place asses with failure policies. We are as greedy as everyone else. The poor, middle class, etc are just as greedy as the wealthy and well to do corrupt families. We put them in; we should just live with it.

It reminds me of all that victim crap coming out of Africa and such. Blaming colonialism and all even until this day. It all is true, its just that it can be stopped any time we as a people want it to, we are larger than them (gov and business and rich families) and can sweep them away either by vote or force, its just that they own us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post

We also need to consider taking the Chinese approach to dealing with corruption. They impose the death penalty on government officials covicted of corruption.
Only those who are out of favor or present a threat. That would be like if the Obama administration executed Tom DeLay and Sarah Palin, but left alone Rod Blagojevich and Tony Rezko.

The Chinese government is even more corrupt than the US government. China's level of corruption is similar to that of Colombia's and China is more corrupt than El Salvador and Romania. Does that mean that we should emulate the policies of Colombia, El Salvador, and Romania? Corruption in the US is increasing rapidly, but in comparison to other countries it's on about the level of Uruguay or France. If we should emulate the policies of any other country in dealing with corruption it looks like Norway or New Zealand should be our role models:

Transparency International - the global coalition against corruption

I do agree that corporate greed is killing America. And both parties are to blame.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:42 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Looking like a failed country, whose fault, D or R or ???

Without a doubt... The fault lies entirely with Congress. All of it and all of them.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi;19169301[B
]true, but so what?[/b] a lot of households earning between $35k and $100k a year pay plenty of federal income taxes, anyone who works pays social security and medicare taxes, and we all fund our state/local gov'ts by state income taxes, local sales and property taxes, etc.

See, this is the problem I have with Ideologues who will only go along with THEIR vision of what is right for the country.

You do not see the problem IT MAY BE that we have over 40% of the eligible working populus PAYING NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES?????

Guess what, if your solution is hiking up taxes on the horrible, rotten, evil, murderous rich.......will, it will produce some gains in revenue.....enough to balance the budget.........nope...........enough to start paying down the debt............nope. But it will make tax lawyers and tax accountants very, very busy.

EITC...................hahaha, giving people a tax refund of up to almost 6K............oh yeah, most of these people have paid NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.....................hahahahahaha.

This country has no common sense left, it is done for.....good.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Politicians from BOTH PARTIES have neglected decision making for simply throwing money at problems.

We need to get our house in order and stop the "votes for treats" system that has been used by both parties.
Yep, so sad and so true. Poor performing public schools are a perfect example, throwing money at them does not work, never will. But no one in power will admit that the problem lies MAINLY with the parents and kids.....no learning in school is a shortcoming of the family structure for the most part.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
I don't see a difference on where the **** came from. Today is today, and we will still put in place asses with failure policies. We are as greedy as everyone else. The poor, middle class, etc are just as greedy as the wealthy and well to do corrupt families. We put them in; we should just live with it.

It reminds me of all that victim crap coming out of Africa and such. Blaming colonialism and all even until this day. It all is true, its just that it can be stopped any time we as a people want it to, we are larger than them (gov and business and rich families) and can sweep them away either by vote or force, its just that they own us.
I once went over to the in-laws' who were engaged in a loud debate over who was to blame over the malfunctioning washing machine. After listening to about an hour of threats and screaming, I decided to have a look see. It turns out I was able to not only diagnose the problem but locate parts about a quarter mile down the road at the appliance parts company. It cost me less than $5 and took about 30 minutes out of my life. They were too busy screaming at each other to notice the washing machine was purring along as I let myself out.

Instead of making an effort to solve the problem, they first started blaming. It's a fairly typical human trick.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yep, so sad and so true. Poor performing public schools are a perfect example, throwing money at them does not work, never will. But no one in power will admit that the problem lies MAINLY with the parents and kids.....no learning in school is a shortcoming of the family structure for the most part.
Funny how one sector of the right has now decided it loves teachers' unions and that teachers are not to blame for bad education, while another sector of the right is trying to destroy teachers' unions (traditionally never loved by the US right)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
We the citizens are the ones pulling the voting machine lever on politicians who are more interested in fixing the blame and not the problem. It starts and ends with us.

Reagan said selling a politician was like selling a bar of soap. We need to stop buying the soap.

I don't think it would be a bad start to just vote out all incumbants on principle. Problem is, we all want to vote out someone else's incumbant, not our own.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Funny how one sector of the right has now decided it loves teachers' unions and that teachers are not to blame for bad education, while another sector of the right is trying to destroy teachers' unions (traditionally never loved by the US right)
I am trying to be logical. I mean hey, no way a teacher can overcome a lifetime of indifference to education (among many other problems) on the part of the parents and kids.

I believe that there are a percentage of people in EVERY JOB who just should not be there, they need to be fired. But.....for the most part, people, including teachers, can meet a basic level of competence. For that bottom 2%-5%.....best to let them know they are not suited for the job and CAN them.

How much does teacher incompetence contribute to failed students in failed schools.......probably less than 10%

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Default 545 People

Passing along the thoughts of another, when honestly allaying responsibility for the mess that we Americans are in.

PEOPLE
By Charlie Reese

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on
appropriations. The House of Representatives does.You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does. You and I don't set
fiscal policy, Congress does.You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings
out of 300 million that are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
Excluded, are the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress
delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank. Excluded too, are
all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason..... They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator,
a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. It doesn't matter if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash.
The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to
determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this
common con game regardless of party.What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal
human being would have the gall of a Speaker who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The president can only propose
a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving
appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members,
not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to. It seems almost
inconceivable that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility.
Can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people
exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist. If the tax code is unfair, it's because
they want it unfair.If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red. If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them
in IRAQ. If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to other people, it's because they want it that way.
There are no insoluble or unsolvable government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose
jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom
they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation,"
or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.They,and they alone, have the power. They,and they alone, should be held accountable by the people
who are their bosses, provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees. We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess"!

Credit: Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies