Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM

22,567 posts, read 24,361,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I disagree. I equate them with an insurance policy. It doesn't "make money", it provides stability at the cost of growth.

I disagree with this as well. Corporations, hedge funds, banks, the ultra wealthy, etc., should be free to do what they want with their capital. The question is why we give them such generous subsidies and tax breaks, and access to government loans that allow them to accumulate more and more wealth, while Joe Sixpack gets taxed at 35% and has his dollar devalued by all those loans to corporations.
Uh, lots of Joe Sixpacks do not pay ANY federal income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ok, looks like I'm going to have to walk you through this. Fascism in the traditional sense is ruled by a strongman, BUT the one difference this country is, it's democratic fascism. So what do I mean? We're a democratic country, but the government is totally in bed with the big corporations, writing regulations that FAVOR them. Also, government always votes the way big business wants them to. BOTH parties. Tell me that is NOT fascism? The government and big business are in bed with each other, working AGAINST us. Fascism, corporatism, same damn thing.

Just because I'm right-wing doesn't mean I can't write properly. I can write better than most limousine liberals on here
To be technically correct, WE ARE A REPUBLIC, we vote for the crooks who then make crooked decisions for us idiots.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
To those of you arguing that the Democratic party and Obama are worth arguing for [they are the same as Republicans imo], answer this - What change did Obama bring ?

What is being done that is so different under his party than under Bush ?

Nothing seems different to me. If anything it is the life term senators who really hold the power in this country. Ted Kennedy himself was a Senator for 50+ years, and he was one of many. Compare a horde of life time senators who each have gained a ton of personal influence in the Government, since they have been there for decades to a President who only serves 4-8 years then disappears.

We change Presidents like we change underwear but we rarely change our life time serving Senators. Those are the people we rarely see or hear about, but who have been behind the scenes for decades and each have access to the President.

Well, he put a bunch of new federal mandates upon those evil health insurance companies, which in effect is causing them to jack up rates. Thats something isn't it.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,757,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why is it OK for you to maximize your potential worth but if a corporation does the same thing they are evil greedy bastards responsible for the downfall of civilization as we know it.

You are certainly correct about Democrats doing their damnest to prevent American citizens from becoming successful.
Not everyone's initiative in life is to makes as much money as humanly possibly. The massive corporations goal on the other hand is to do so, even if it means destroying the country, tanking the economy, leaving families struggling and unable to find work, losing their homes, not able to feed their children etc,.. not to mention empowering China, a communist nation while destroying ours. Democrats are trying their damnedest to keep jobs in america where they belong.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 PM

[quote=TempesT68;19143126]Not everyone's initiative in life is to makes as much money as humanly possibly. The massive corporations goal on the other hand is to do so, even if it means destroying the country, tanking the economy, leaving families struggling and unable to find work, losing their homes, not able to feed their children etc,.. not to mention empowering China, a communist nation while destroying ours. Democrats are trying their damnedest to keep jobs in america where they belong.[/quote]

Hehe, I guess that's why Bill Clinton signed Nafta into law.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,368,376 times
We are in this predictment because of both parties, and we all know it, by the very poor choice that they each have made, and they each have made many wrong decisions.

Right now we are in a bad way, and please do not take us for fools, and make us think we have a Dollar the is face value as it always has been, no it ain't. i understand from some we have not seen anything yet, it is coming, and when it does, this economy is going down worse then the titanic. Be honest with us, the spenidng both sides have done, has let this Country be broke. We cannot afford any more debt, though it seems to some, this is the way to handle business. This is where we truly do need someone with business sense, we need to get out of the current situation we are in. But cannot get out of it, when we have people lying thru their teeth, making us belive things are just fine, no they ain't. I rather have a Goverement and a Presdient that is going to be sincere and honest with us, let us know the problems and challenges we face, and the solutions to help the prolbem. I rather that, then they tell us everything is fine and just dandy, when all you freaking have to do is take a good look around, things are not as they seem. This economy and its problems are far from over.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,368,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding.......give this person a prize, our "leaders" are feckless dolts.....I fantasize about Nuremberg 2........just joking..........kinda.

Hey wait.................. where is my prize, gees get me all excited, and i win nothing, that ain't fair.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not everyone's initiative in life is to makes as much money as humanly possibly. The massive corporations goal on the other hand is to do so, even if it means destroying the country, tanking the economy, leaving families struggling and unable to find work, losing their homes, not able to feed their children etc,.. not to mention empowering China, a communist nation while destroying ours. Democrats are trying their damnedest to keep jobs in america where they belong.
You have got to be kidding!!

Clinton signed NAFTA and took a number of trips to China, working on deals for his beloved corporations so they could get cheap labor.

Obama is trying to destroy the jobs of American truckdrivers by bringing foreign truck drivers to take over our highways, after all they would be cheaper.

Obama is doing all he can to promote globalism and also to bring more cheap illegal labor for his beloved corporations.

No democrat is doing anything to keep jobs in the USA or for Americans. Not many republicans are doing a whole lot either, very few politicians are in it for the American people.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,377,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
No, I am not saying it to sound bombastic or to be a troll....I truly believe it....this country's best days are behind it, decline is this country's future.

I do not mean to imply that this country will resemble.....oh say a place like Zimbabwe in 10 years. But, I think that more and more areas of this once fine county will resemble places like Detroit, Newark or other high crime/high poverty cities.

I define a "failed country" as a country that does not move forward on it's many pressing issues( for some of the reasons listed below (to name a few):

Cannot solve massive financial problems.
Having a 2 party oligarchy that will not work together to solve problems for the good of the country.
A very inflexible/spoiled citizenry who cannot handle change, even if it means financial disaster for the future generations.

These are just a few reasons I feel this country is a failure.

IF YOU AGREE, WHO IS AT FAULT, THE DEMOCRATS, THE REPUBLICANS OR SOMETHING/SOMEONE ELSE.
It takes a lot to turn your back on the record of the 235 years that have gone by since 1776. The USA has met every challenge, and came back from every downturn wealthier and more productive than ever before.

The native ingenuity of the people cannot be suppressed. I believe we will reject the attempts to stifle the creative impulse, to dilute the rewards accruing to those who offer advances and efficiencies in meeting our needs and wants.

There is much work to be done. Our failed big-city education systems cannot stand as is, and must be reformed, the NEA be damned. The habit of politicians of both parties of auctioning off tax breaks and favoritism for campaign contributions must be stopped. The tax code must be rewritten so that everybody plays by the same rules, and more people pay something. The ridiculous blank check entitlements scream for reform. The dramatic overreach of the EPA, the NLRB and other regulatory agencies must be stopped.

Repubs and Dems are both at fault. But the winds of change are in the air. We will muddle through; we always have.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,180,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The really obvious fact: Both parties are to blame.

Granted the Dem are like a 16 year old with their first credit card when it comes to spending, but the Reps do plenty of over-spending as well.
you are spouting a stereotype that has long been proven false. R's spend and D's repair the messes the R's create.

Quote:

This country needs better political parties to choose from. Libertarians and the Tea Party each have some good ideas and both of them take reducing the size of the US Government very seriously, but neither has enough momentum to get changes to take effect. Underlying problem is that people really like all the social programs we have in place. People depend on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment/Welfare and so forth. They expect those programs to be there when they need them.

And those programs are more than 1/2 of the US Federal Budget. Americans are extremely gullible and seldom educate themselves on the issues. Anyone who says, "What can we do to cut spending on Social Security?" in a session of Congress is going to be met with, "You hate old people!! You want to drive old people out of their homes and into the streets to starve, freeze and die!!" And Americans are dumb enough to believe them completely. It is impossible to address the big issues because even mentioning them is a huge taboo. And that is the fault of the American people as much as it is the fault of the both political parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies