U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
4,386 posts, read 1,305,113 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Watch the video from a recent TUSD board meeting. Excerpts from a textbook reported to be used for students as young as 3rd grade are read aloud. They contain phrases such as "bloodsucking capitalists" and very harsh profanity, enough to cause a board member to request censorship of the reading in respect for the children present at the board meeting.


YouTube - Shocking Excerpts Read at Tucson School Board Meeting From A Book In The Ethic Studies Curriculum


BLOODSUCKING CAPITALISTS AND EVIL WHITE PEOPLE: EMOTIONAL READING OF RACIST EXCERPTS AT TUCSON SCHOOL BOARD MEETING FROM A BOOK USED IN THE CONTROVERSIAL ETHNIC STUDIES CURRICULUM FOR GRADES 3 THRU 12

"If you can indoctrinate young American students with the idea that White people and Capitalism are to blame for every evil in the world, you will have an army of radicals ready to fight for communism and against our free capitalist system here in America and open the borders to all."

Confirmation of the extremity of the curriculum is abundant from newspaper articles to official letters describing the same written by the TUSD Supervisor. Just do a Google search or search this forum. There is plenty of information available for any one who wants to know.
I've watched the video previously. It offered no specifics. Only makes assertions. Geraldo Rivera on Bill O'Reilly show claimed that there are only 5 copies of the text book in question in the whole district of 50,000 students.

I've done Google searches previously and couldn't find any specifics. I find a lot of accusations, but very few details.

I did find this article interesting.

In Mexican American Studies debate, Tucsonans need less spin and more truth - Tucson Progressive

BTW: I've been through this before. My local community made national news and was mocked on Fox News for teaching homosexuality to kindergartners. This included Fox National News person showing up for a school board hearing. The kindergarten curriculum used a book about a new girl in class with a pet iguana. No sexual references whatsoever. Yet that didn't stop the media from claims about teaching homosexuality to kindergartners.

So I have some skepticism when I see such videos without the supporting detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 3,379,835 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
- Tucson Progressive[/url]

BTW: I've been through this before. My local community made national news and was mocked on Fox News for teaching homosexuality to kindergartners. This included Fox National News person showing up for a school board hearing. The kindergarten curriculum used a book about a new girl in class with a pet iguana. No sexual references whatsoever. Yet that didn't stop the media from claims about teaching homosexuality to kindergartners.

So I have some skepticism when I see such videos without the supporting detail.
Do you have a link to this Fox News Episode you refer to? What was the name of the book in question? Any specifics?

Sorry, I have some skepticism when I hear an anecdotal story without any supporting evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
4,386 posts, read 1,305,113 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Do you have a link to this Fox News Episode you refer to? What was the name of the book in question? Any specifics?

Sorry, I have some skepticism when I hear an anecdotal story without any supporting evidence.
Kindergarten Vocabulary from the proposed curriculum:
Name calling, Exclude, Hurtful, Teasing, Different, Similar, Comfortable.

Book used "The New Girl…and Me" by Jacqui Robbins.

http://www.mikemcmahon.info/BOE052609Lesson9GradeK.pdf

The specific episode I was referring to was Steve Doocy introducing the segment that the following newshound article was written about.
News Hounds: Tucker Carlson And Steve Doocy Trash Tolerance Teaching On Fox&Friends

The video is apparently no longer available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
3,743 posts, read 1,207,995 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Geraldo Rivera on Bill O'Reilly show claimed that there are only 5 copies of the text book in question in the whole district of 50,000 students.
Yeah well, like I shouted at the TV when I saw that,
it's in the curriculum, they can get more books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,121 posts, read 843,052 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it is one thing to learn history, good and bad, it is another to teach the kids that capitalism is bad, that arizona really belongs to mexico as it was stolen from mexico(in fact not correct, it was purchased from mexico), among other things. the ethnic studies program in TUSD is in fact indoctrination against the american way of life. try reading the text books used in the program.
Why is it wrong? Are you afraid of differing viewpoints? If capitalism (or anything else for that matter) is good and right then it should stand up to any criticism. I personally believe sensibly regulated capitalism is the best model for growth and prosperity but I would never deny someone else's opinion if they wanted to teach their kids otherwise. Isn't that what this country is all about? Freedom to express views even if they are distasteful? Or would you prefer a good ol' fashioned book burning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,381 posts, read 2,192,483 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why is it wrong? Are you afraid of differing viewpoints? If capitalism (or anything else for that matter) is good and right then it should stand up to any criticism. I personally believe sensibly regulated capitalism is the best model for growth and prosperity but I would never deny someone else's opinion if they wanted to teach their kids otherwise. Isn't that what this country is all about? Freedom to express views even if they are distasteful? Or would you prefer a good ol' fashioned book burning?
I think what I highlighted in your post is the real point. Some schools and some teachers are trying to push their ideology where it does not belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: USA
9,328 posts, read 4,812,401 times
Reputation: 7029
[quote=ahzzie;19211802]Why is it wrong? Are you afraid of differing viewpoints? If capitalism (or anything else for that matter) is good and right then it should stand up to any criticism. I personally believe sensibly regulated capitalism is the best model for growth and prosperity but I would never deny someone else's opinion if they wanted to teach their kids otherwise. Isn't that what this country is all about? Freedom to express views even if they are distasteful? Or would you prefer a good ol' fashioned book burning?[/quote]

Isn't that how Hugo Chavez, Hitler, Daniel Ortega, Stalin and Castro got into power. Demonize the other guy, Protest the capitalist, stir up the poputation, tell them how the Capitilist is keeping you down. You end up with a 3rd world country when you follow that model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
4,386 posts, read 1,305,113 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah well, like I shouted at the TV when I saw that,
it's in the curriculum, they can get more books.
But how does the book fit into the curriculum? What from the book is being taught and at what grade levels? What are the goals of the particular lesson plans (if any) that utilize the book?

Without knowing this information there is no way to make an intelligent judgement about the curriculum. You would think with all that is being written about the curriculum someone would have published this type of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
Reputation: 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
But how does the book fit into the curriculum? What from the book is being taught and at what grade levels? What are the goals of the particular lesson plans (if any) that utilize the book?

Without knowing this information there is no way to make an intelligent judgement about the curriculum. You would think with all that is being written about the curriculum someone would have published this type of information.
You have to request it from the Tucson ISD. They do not post it on their website. You can find Math, English, etc. listed curriculum items but not this.

This is all they have:
Tucson Unified School District - Mexican American Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 4,157,625 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Many here have refused to accept the thinking that there really is some more or less treasonous thinking involved in the books involved in the anti-American courses in Tucson schools. Here is some thinking that may prove to some that it is surely just that.

For example, some of the writers of articles in that program are really anti-Americans like Chavez and Latin America haters, like Che Guevera.

http://patriotupdate.com/articles/school-curriculum-in-tucson—treasonous
Because Patriot Update is so reliable to not be unbiased! Oh wait: "A free press for the Conservative Revolution" Nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top