Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times

Advertisements

Republicans hate the French. I find that interesting, but really the Republicans hate most everyone, so who really cares.

I was in Europe and I found it interesting that the Germans hate the English. They call them pasties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 AM

52,529 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This has nothing to do with the DSK case.
you didn't even read the OP, did you?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The French Elites' Reaction To The Dominique Strauss-Kahn Affair Is A National Embarrassment
again: what do 'American rednecks' have to do with the DSK case?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You must remember that Europeans in general, and the French specifically, are much more sophisticated about matters sexual than we are here in the US. That's why many here, on these very forums, believe that we should emulate them.
That's an interesting choice in phraseology and I'm not sure how to take it.
I'm sure that from the French POV, chasing a woman down the hall and forcing her into a room to have your way with her is considered sophisticated seduction.

Personally, if I were unable to follow the rules in a foreign country, I wouldn't go there. But I'm not all that sophisticated.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Why is this a shock when they harbor pedifiles.The french shuld just be taken for what they are really and go on about is i our interest.We need to realise that much of western europe is in contimuing decline since WWII.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
France is a country where conspiracy theories often flourish, with a public deeply suspicious of its political and business elite. However the depth of incomprehension over recent events is such that many are trying to rationalise how Mr Strauss-Kahn, a self-confessed womaniser who denies the sexual assault charges, could have ended up in Rikers Island prison.

It highlights France’s denial . . . People do not want to believe it and it is interesting from the collective psychology point of view,” said Jérome Sainte-Marie, political director at polling group CSA, in an interview with 20 Minutes, the free daily for whom the survey was taken, along with BFMTV et RMC. The survey questioned 1,007 people on May 16.
FT.com / Europe - French back Strauss-Kahn in poll

Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,537,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why is this a shock when they harbor pedifiles.
So does the US

Quote:
The french shuld just be taken for what they are really and go on about is i our interest.
Which should mean not using our justice system and law enforcement system to aid French politicians' vendettas against each other. However considering that the anti-DSK forces in France have Wall Street, Gordon Brown, and Rupert Murdoch on their side, no surprise that US law enforcement is playing along in the plot to take DSK down.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
French food sucks! I had much better food in Spain, Italy, and Greece. As for their wine, I'll put some California, Spanish, and Italian wines up against ones in France.
Whoa there. I LOVE Spain but their food overall, is very crappy IMO.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,460,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe the French don't care much for American rednecks. But, who does?
Cajun, not redneck. If you're going to be an ignorant bigot then at least get your facts straight.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Cajun, not redneck. If you're going to be an ignorant bigot then at least get your facts straight.
ah, now i see. the 'American redneck' slur was directed at you. i should have known.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,002,733 times
Quote:
Not any in the port cities I was forced to visit while in the Navy nor any of the ones my dad worked with. You see, my dad spoke fluent French (he passed away September last year) because of his Cajun heritage. Because of his language skills, he was able to hear how his french co-workers really felt about Americans.
I happen to like Cajuns. Have friends in LA/MS.
Awesome food, good stories, interesting folk

And, I'm sure there are some French that couldn't
stand you or were simply trying to show off
in front of your father how "real french is spoken"
But your painting French with a pretty broad brush there.

I actually think you get more bad stereotyping of Cajuns right here in the USA e.g coon ass, mockery etc.

Don't blame the French for everything
Maybe it was just being in the Navy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies