Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There is a constant health care debate in the UK. But it is always about how to make the NHS better, more responsive and more efficient. Almost nobody in the UK wants to replace the NHS with a US style for-profit system.
I don't know 1 person who wants to replace the NHS in the UK yet nearly everyone i talk to here wants the health service changed. When i tell Brits about the USA system they laugh.
I have used both systems and the USA system is far inferior to the UK model and far, far more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I don't know 1 person who wants to replace the NHS in the UK yet nearly everyone i talk to here wants the health service changed. When i tell Brits about the USA system they laugh.
I have used both systems and the USA system is far inferior to the UK model and far, far more expensive.

It just takes longer to get a procedure done.
The little stuff is easy access, but need knee surgery... 3-5 month wait.
I stay in touch with people in my trade that are in the UK. I hear the stories about how they can't work, from an on the job injury, requiring surgery. Out of work for months, waiting on the surgeon. They immediately get public assistance.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Hey .. don't knock it. High prices for meds in the US supports R&D that the rest of the world benefits from
Haha. I thought most level 1 tier research was paid for by the public sector in the US

Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Wonder why this whole Health Debate isn't even a issue in the UK?
Probably because they had a government single-payer system before the greedy Big Insurance industry grew out of control, and also since doctors in the UK don't get paid anywhere NEAR what US doctors get paid (learned this when we met a UK doctor on vacation long ago).

Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Probably because they had a government single-payer system before the greedy Big Insurance industry grew out of control, and also since doctors in the UK don't get paid anywhere NEAR what US doctors get paid (learned this when we met a UK doctor on vacation long ago).
Its not like they're poor though.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It just takes longer to get a procedure done.
The little stuff is easy access, but need knee surgery... 3-5 month wait.
I stay in touch with people in my trade that are in the UK. I hear the stories about how they can't work, from an on the job injury, requiring surgery. Out of work for months, waiting on the surgeon. They immediately get public assistance.
My brother-in-law had an on the job injury. Workmans comp refused to pay despite his doctor saying he needed it. Months later he is still fighting them and will probably need to get an attorney and sue them to have it done.

Delays can happen just as much in the US.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 05-18-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I don't know of anyone who is ever denied treatment for normal pressure hydrocephalus since it is a totally reversible condition! Medicare pays for just about anything nowadays. Ask around and put some pressure on the doctors and I'm am sure he will get treated... unless he has so many other medical problems that prevent him from getting the treatment in a safe manner. You should clarify this with his doctors.

Plus this really has nothing to do with Obamacare. Obamacare hasn't started yet.

VA might be an option if he is service connected. I know they do this procedure at some locations.

Last edited by miyu; 05-18-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Only in Texas
Not so at all. The Medicare group in my state capital allows so little in payment for a number of problems that doctors and hospitals just refuse to do them. I am now on bi-yearly checks for esophageal cancer and had been there at a yearly pace until last year. I saw what they paid the surgeon and it wasn't more than 1/2 what he asked for. I wonder if I went on bi-annual check because of that. The people on that Medicare board are none of them doctors or hospital administrators. Just a bunch of bureaucrats who get appointed by the governor and then become gods.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Only in America. No other country allows insurance panels to decide who gets treatment and who doesn't.
Those that we have now are called Medicare State boards, but they sure enough do exist.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How about you help your dad out as opposed to cry about how the tax-payer won't do it.
I didn't see any mention of a father who is still alive. You went too far when you said that, prog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies