Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What little detail would that be?
Surely you know that Obamacare calls for taking $50 billion from Medicare every year for 10 years. If not then you have been asleep too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Read the Law. It will cut 500 bil in waste and programs that are too costly and provide little benefit. One big area, about 200 bil, will be cutting back on giveaways to private ins Advantage plans. These cuts will not degrade the Medicare services to any major extent.
How near are you to Medicare, bob? I have been on it for 13 years and thought it was pretty good but if I live long enough to see it robbed by Obamacare I doubt I will like it very much. I remember when at 72 I had that heart attack and a resulting 6 by pass surgery. I don't think that many 72 year olds will be considered worthwhile for saving when it happens after 20134. How about you bob?

Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Fearmonger, a subject repubs know and use all to well.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 PM

I saw the woman responsible for MOgal's fearmongering ad on TV this afternoon and was humored about how she answered the question about what she would do if Obamacare proved to be as weak and just plain bad as many of us think it will. She was sure that she would do much the same thing but didn't say it with a lot of real meaning.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
dot bob, the Ryan plan does not end Medicare for those over 54 years of age as of the effective date of enactment. Of course you know that but you like to play up the fearmongering like a good comrade. After that it privatizes plans for those who have already paid into Medicare.

Are you suggesting that with 20 years advanced notice that people cannot begin to save for their own retirement and healthcare? Really?
The plan’s architect, Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, drew a line in the actuarial sand: Anyone born before 1957 would not be affected. They could enjoy the single-payer, socialized medical care program that has allowed millions of people to live extended lives of dignity and decent health care.

And their kids and grandkids? Sorry, they would have to take their little voucher and pay some private insurer nearly twice as much as a senior pays for basic government coverage today. In essence, Republicans would break up the population between an I’ve Got Mine segment and The Left Behinds.

The name "Medicare" will be the same but what we know as Medicare will be dead -- replaced by system that provides 1/3 the needed amount to actually get insurance.
Quote:
Are you suggesting that with 20 years advanced notice that people cannot begin to save for their own retirement and healthcare?
Yes. There are many or most that cannot save enough for what an insurance for a 70 year old will cost.

AND WHAT HYPOCRISY!!! A year ago these same people were screaming "TAKE YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE" and "DEATH PANELS!!!" Now, they are complaining that the Democrats are telling the truth about their plan.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How near are you to Medicare, bob? I have been on it for 13 years and thought it was pretty good but if I live long enough to see it robbed by Obamacare I doubt I will like it very much. I remember when at 72 I had that heart attack and a resulting 6 by pass surgery. I don't think that many 72 year olds will be considered worthwhile for saving when it happens after 20134. How about you bob?
I have had Medicare Advantage for 5 yrs. My care, has been thru the VA for 4 yrs. Cancer surgery and Chemo thru private ins prior to that, my portion of costs virtually wiped out my long term planned savings program. I am lucky that I have the VA as an option, as Medicare Advantage copays for additional surgeries and another Cancer surgery, would have made it difficult, but bearable. The VA saved me a lot from the additional needs. The point is, even with Medicare, there are significant costs if major issues arise. If Ryan's plan come to reality, it won't affect me, it will affect people 54 and below, in other words, my daughter and family. I do not want to see them work there whole lives the be handed a voucher to buy coverage for care they will need, and the voucher only be able to pay for a decreasing part of that coverage.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Only conservatives "fear monger".

Remember?

Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What would call the gutting of Medicare by Obama? Yet the left is conspicuously silent about THAT little detail.

Face it - Medicare WILL end. It will be a horrible death, inflicted by our federal govt. because it's BROKE. Or in a orderly and responsible manner, like Ryan proposes.
Exactly. dot bob and other far left posters conveniently ignore the half $billion Obama took from Medicare to start-up Obamacare. How many grannies were to be given Dr. Obama's "blue pill" for that one?

The left would rather collapse this country than to accept that we must become fiscally responsible ASAP! The left doesn't believe in people providing for themselves and their own family members. No, their answer to everything is BIG GOVERNMENT programs.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
What the Ryan Plan does is cut Medicare costs by providing less -- at least half less. It just privatizes the entire system while keeping the name, hoping nobody notices.

It also won't cut costs because once those 1957 and later births become seniors who vote regularly, they'll demand more coverage.

BTW, the health Care reform bill did not gut Medicare. As this Reuters article states:
Quote:
There are no cuts to the traditional Medicare benefit. The lion's share of spending cuts are in Medicare Advantage -- a program that uses private firms such as Humana and UnitedHealth Group to deliver Medicare benefits. Many of these providers offer extra coverage and some of those extras could be dropped as Medicare Advantage subsidies are bought more in line with the cost of traditional Medicare benefits. Medicare Advantage payment rates will be frozen in 2011 and then gradually reduced giving companies time to adjust to the changes.
Medicare will begin paying for annual wellness visits and increase reimbursements for primary care physicians. Currently Medicare only pays for a general checkup when someone first enters the program and many health analysts believe regular check ups would help improve the overall health of elderly people and provide for better coordination of care.

Also the bill provides for an improvement in the Medicare prescription drug program. The current program includes a significant coverage gap that the legislation will eventually close. Currently people fall into this so-called doughnut hole falls after a total $2,700 is spent on drugs. Coverage begins again after $6,154 is spent.

In 2010, people who fall into the doughnut hole will get a $250 rebate. In 2011, they will get a 50 percent discount on brand-name drugs. By 2020, the doughnut hole will have been closed and 75 percent of drug costs will be covered.

Last edited by MTAtech; 05-18-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Since when did young hip progressives start caring about old farts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies