U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
4,507 posts, read 2,212,406 times
Reputation: 3911

Advertisements

I just came across one of the best and most comprehensive summaries of the Trends that are Ruining the US economy (such as loss of manufacturing, retirement of the Baby Boom, health care), here: 11 Long-Term Trends Ruining the U.S. Economy - Seeking Alpha. It was written a couple of years ago and all the problems have continued and gotten much worse, as predicted.

While all of these trends have been discussed on these forums individually, when looking at all of them together as contributing to the devastation of our economy, the future looks very bleak and nothing is being done about ANY of them.

I'd like comments, particularly from those who DON'T think the US economy is currently collapsing. Are there good trends/signs to point to (other than that the US is "too big to fail")? I'd really like to think I have a few more years to prepare, but is that realistic considering the extent and constant acceleration of these problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 3,071,738 times
Reputation: 1260
Don't worry, tax cuts for the rich will fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
4,507 posts, read 2,212,406 times
Reputation: 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Don't worry, tax cuts for the rich will fix everything.
I know you're being sarcastic, but my family (and probably plenty of other working professionals out there) are going to be taxed even more heavily because we're considered "The Rich," since we're working professional in our highest-income years. I guess the equivalent of the brand-new car that we send to Washington each year isn't nearly enough for the spendthrift crooks, but then again we could give them all EVERY PENNY of all our incomes and they'd just spend that, then borrow another 2 trillion a year and spend that too.

BTW, the article I cited didn't even talk about the additional problem of our government's massive corruption, war-mongering, and overspending and borrowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,044 posts, read 4,478,831 times
Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I know you're being sarcastic, but my family (and probably plenty of other working professionals out there) are going to be taxed even more heavily because we're considered "The Rich," since we're working professional in our highest-income years. I guess the equivalent of the brand-new car that we send to Washington each year isn't nearly enough for the spendthrift crooks, but then again we could give them all EVERY PENNY of all our incomes and they'd just spend that, then borrow another 2 trillion a year and spend that too.

BTW, the article I cited didn't even talk about the additional problem of our government's massive corruption, war-mongering, and overspending and borrowing.
I do not feel that the rich should be taxed more so than others, especially when they are working professionals that have worked their butts off to get where they are in life.

Why should those that work hard to reap the rewards of hard work have to pay more to support those that don't?

Enjoy your money that you have worked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
21,129 posts, read 9,948,507 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Don't worry, tax cuts for the rich will fix everything.


OK Majin, what is your solution?

Green energy?

High speed rail?

Compact florescent lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 3,071,738 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK Majin, what is your solution?

Green energy?

High speed rail?

Compact florescent lights?
Solution to what? Bringing back jobs? Solving the debt? I don't think it's possible to do both at the same time. But to fix the US economic and bring back jobs we have to revisit our free trade agreements and tax laws related to outsourcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
21,129 posts, read 9,948,507 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I do not feel that the rich should be taxed more so than others, especially when they are working professionals that have worked their butts off to get where they are in life.

Why should those that work hard to reap the rewards of hard work have to pay more to support those that don't?

Enjoy your money that you have worked for.

Not only that, but some professional couples put off having children to develop their careers and build wealth. Who are the rest of us to decide they are unworthy of the financial rewards they sacrificed to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 3,071,738 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not only that, but some professional couples put off having children to develop their careers and build wealth. Who are the rest of us to decide they are unworthy of the financial rewards they sacrificed to have?
Increasing taxes by 4% is not "taking away the financial rewards" of people who have sacrificed to make a lot of money. If you make 250k a year and your taxes go from 35% to 39%, is your "years of hard work and sacrifice" all of a sudden not worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
19,910 posts, read 8,919,080 times
Reputation: 3638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Increasing taxes by 4% is not "taking away the financial rewards" of people who have sacrificed to make a lot of money. If you make 250k a year and your taxes go from 35% to 39%, is your "years of hard work and sacrifice" all of a sudden not worth it?
By itself it may not mean too much, but all of the inflation the Three Stooges (Obama, Bernanke, and Geithner) are creating are surely eating their lunch also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
4,043 posts, read 1,349,599 times
Reputation: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK Majin, what is your solution?

Green energy?

High speed rail?

Compact florescent lights?
Inflate yer tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top