Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM

18,895 posts, read 14,083,916 times

Advertisements

Constitution?
Senate Report 93-549
War and Emergency Powers Acts

"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (as of the report 1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
We haven't had a constitutionally limited government for over 77 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM

18,895 posts, read 14,083,916 times
I wonder what the Libertarians think about the "republican form of government"?
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people,... directly...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695
I have no objection to individual sovereignty for the people.
Of course, citizens, by definition, are subjects, so they are not "in" the republican form. Which means the Libertarians are not "in" the republican form.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:00 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Very few people intentionally cause serious car accidents. That's why they are called accidents. The threat of punishment cannot effectively deter an irrational individual, and someone who is intoxicated or distracted is not making fully rational driving decisions.

On the other hand, the threat of punishment just might be able to deter some people from getting drunk or starting to text while driving.
There are all kinds of dangerous ways to operate a vehicle. Should we make laws against drinking coffee while driving? Eating a sandwich? Doing your makeup? Shaving? Tying your shoes? Adjusting your tie? Watching TV? Playing video games? Soldering? Trying on ski goggles? Writing a novel?... I could go on. We trust people to drive safely without outlawing all dangerous behaviors. Why arbitrarily make some dangerous behaviors illegal?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
An individual, organization, or government can only affect your life (cause physical harm), your liberty (forced labor), or your property (taking your stuff against your will) with violence or the threat of violence. I consider theft a violent (caused by force; unnatural) act.
I have an issue with the usage of the word violence, because the effect of taking at least some rights can be achieved without any visible violence. Is it violence on the part of a coal mine owner who doesn't need to worry about any regulation pertaining to the safety of the workers and someone dies as a result? Or, is it merely an accident?

Quote:
I don't follow your point. Healthcare is a service; you hire people to give you healthcare.
Health care is a service, but health and life and happiness are not.

Quote:
I believe that you should be free to seek out whatever healthcare you want that's within your means. I don't see the benefit of a government dictating what healthcare or how much of it I'm allowed to buy. I believe that individuals generally make better choices for themselves than a central authority might.
An individual has to make the choices, but in the real world, individuals can only choose from what is available to them and it is not always pleasant. I'm, of course, thinking from a humanitarian point of view recognizing that not all are fortunate from being born till their death.

But my point wasn't about choices, it was about opposition to government regulations on something that you consider is only a privilege. Why do you have an issue with that?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:39 PM

326 posts, read 869,883 times
Quote:
There are all kinds of dangerous ways to operate a vehicle. Should we make laws against drinking coffee while driving? Eating a sandwich? Doing your makeup? Shaving? Tying your shoes? Adjusting your tie? Watching TV? Playing video games? Soldering? Trying on ski goggles? Writing a novel?... I could go on. We trust people to drive safely without outlawing all dangerous behaviors. Why arbitrarily make some dangerous behaviors illegal?
http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/r1093.pdf
Quote:
It is estimated that drivers with BACs at or above 0.08 g/dL were involved in the deaths of 12,945 road users in the United States in 2005 and that, had all these drivers had BACs below 0.08 g/dL, 8,916 of the deaths would have been prevented – this is the number attributable directly to BACs at or above 0.08 g/dL. Had all drivers had BACs below 0.05 g/dL, an estimated 11,100 deaths would have been prevented. If all drivers in 2005 had had zero BACs, as many as 13,452 deaths would have been prevented. If all drivers with at least one alcohol-impaired driving conviction within 3 years prior to the crash were restricted to BACs below 0.08 g/dL, 777 deaths could have been prevented in 2005.
If you find evidence that soldering while driving causes a significant amount of harm and that a legal standard could be set, perhaps that too should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies