Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree with the Airline. I believe the airlines are selling transport, not seats. If a given individual requires more than one seat to be transported then they should be provided with more than one seat. Only the airline accountants see the airlines as selling seats for the convenience of calculating costs.

This is no different than a bus company having to be able to transport a wheel chair bound passenger even if the accommodation costs more than a regular seat. Bus companies are also selling transportation and not just seats.

I pay a bus company to take me to Boston and back every day in a seat. I would not be paying the fare if the seat and I stayed in Londonderry.
So the airline should lose revenue because someone is fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
I disagree with the Airline. I believe the airlines are selling transport, not seats. If a given individual requires more than one seat to be transported then they should be provided with more than one seat. Only the airline accountants see the airlines as selling seats for the convenience of calculating costs.

This is no different than a bus company having to be able to transport a wheel chair bound passenger even if the accommodation costs more than a regular seat. Bus companies are also selling transportation and not just seats.

I pay a bus company to take me to Boston and back every day in a seat. I would not be paying the fare if the seat and I stayed in Londonderry.
In your world, a very tall person should be able to have the seat in front of them removed to accommodate their long legs? Really, where does it end?

Airlines sell seats, period. You are assigned a seat, therefore that is what you are paying for. But we could go your way, and say they sell transport. Would it be OK for the fat people to be stuffed into cargo? They'd get there.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Nothing against those who are over weight,but, I have had to endure some long flights seated next to such. By long I mean 17+ hour flights. Without fail I always find myself being pushed to the egde of my seat, crowded, my feet stepped on etc. Obease people should have to pay for 2 seats. Perhaps not the full price of 2 tickets but they often do need 2 seats.

I prefer they be required to travel in the cargo hold. The SOLUTION is to price the tickets by weight. Once the total weight for the flight is maxed out, no more seats are sold.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Why should an airline be any different than a bus? The bus sells transport even if the accommodation cost them absolute revenue they still provide the space. I do not believe the airline or any other business serving the public has any right to discriminate than does any government. If a fat person requires a bigger seat of two small seats they pay the same as a skinny kid. If the airline loses money under this arrangement they can charge ALL their passengers more to haul them from place to place. How much extra would they make if they dropped “business class” discounts?

Under the current fare structure it cost me about as much to fly to the southwest as to drive. The only savings is in time. As airline prices increase due to fuel and greed it will be more economical to drive and see the country on the way. After all the airlines will always have to lug salesmen and managers to and from their sacred convention junkets so the prices don’t matter that much. Carrying families from the NE to Orlando to be ripped off by BIG MICKEY is a luxury the country can afford to lose.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Where is the passenger's responsibility in all of this? She should have bought two tickets in advance so that she wouldn't put herself in this situation. If you are large then you have to take the responsibility and be respectful to your fellow passengers as well. Just because someone technically fits between the arm rests, it doesn't mean their size doesn't infringe upon the person sitting next to them. I've sat next to large people before and while they managed to fit their lower torso between the arm rests, their upper torso sank into my seat and forced me to sit in a way in which half my body was dipping into the aisle.

People might look at this as Southwest being rude to overweight people but I see them as being polite to passengers who suffer as a result from sitting next to large people.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Why should an airline be any different than a bus? The bus sells transport even if the accommodation cost them absolute revenue they still provide the space. I do not believe the airline or any other business serving the public has any right to discriminate than does any government. If a fat person requires a bigger seat of two small seats they pay the same as a skinny kid. If the airline loses money under this arrangement they can charge ALL their passengers more to haul them from place to place. How much extra would they make if they dropped “business class” discounts?

Under the current fare structure it cost me about as much to fly to the southwest as to drive. The only savings is in time. As airline prices increase due to fuel and greed it will be more economical to drive and see the country on the way. After all the airlines will always have to lug salesmen and managers to and from their sacred convention junkets so the prices don’t matter that much. Carrying families from the NE to Orlando to be ripped off by BIG MICKEY is a luxury the country can afford to lose.
That's not greed. This is common sense. Why should the airline give up a free seat because someone is fat. If you choose to be 270 lbs then you need to take the responsibility and pay for a second seat. Where was the passenger's responsibility in all this. Again, this is what is wrong with this country today. Personal responsibility is a lost value. Everyone has to blame someone else. Now the fat person has to blame the airline because they won't allow them to occupy two seats for the price of one.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
No. The fat person should not have to pay any more than any other passenger even if they take up more room. The passenger cannot help if the airline made the seats too damn small. The business should accommodate the customer not the other way around. The airline is selling passenger miles not seat miles. They can set their prices accordingly.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,277,309 times
Quote:
No. The fat person should not have to pay any more than any other passenger even if they take up more room. The passenger cannot help if the airline made the seats too damn small. The business should accommodate the customer not the other way around. The airline is selling passenger miles not seat miles. They can set their prices accordingly.
Nope, I'm not paying more to make up for a fattie.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
C'mon, tell the truth, you cringe when you see two-ton Tony coming down the aisle and you pray to whatever you deem sacred that he does not sit next to you.

Nothing worse than being cramped in a metal tube for hours next to a hot sweaty obese person leaning on you.

I am all for SW charging for the extra seat. This world is way too politically correct.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
C'mon, tell the truth, you cringe when you see two-ton Tony coming down the aisle and you pray to whatever you deem sacred that he does not sit next to you.

Nothing worse than being cramped in a metal tube for hours next to a hot sweaty obese person leaning on you.

I am all for SW charging for the extra seat. This world is way too politically correct.
We've all sat by overweight and obese people. That's not a big deal. But when you have the size of an offensive lineman(as this lady did) and they are forcing you to lean or their arms are resting on your seat table, that's taking it too far. It doesn't matter if their butt can fit between the arm rests if their upper body is taking up a 1/3 of your seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies