Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

I read most everything because it is a window on a world I could not imagine.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:17 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
At what point do you stop reading someone's political post, and just skip it, realizing that it's nothing you'd probably want to read anyway?

1. The word "Sheeple."
2. Intentional mispelling of a politician's name. If the empphasis is on humor, it's probably still gonna be a decent read, like Palinclownshoes; If it's something like "Well, Obamatard....: then no, it's gonna be some hate fille diatribe with little to no value. SKIP.

I wonder if there's anyone else out there, that just KNOWs the political post has no value, and what your keywords to disregarding the morons would be.
Like birtherism support threads. All birthers were suspect, etc.

Oh yeah, forgot one. When someone starts spouting, "Do your research." it's normally a dead topic, because they can't prove what they said, but will darn sure tell you in 4 more posts that their reearch supports their assumption, and if you "Did your research!", you would come to the same conclusion they did. Are they linking anything?....no, that would involve doing their own research. And that's just hilarious.
Ahhh...would'nt you skip about 3/4 of the post's in ANY thread then?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
When it starts with "Why does..." followed by an obviously wrong statement. Also those where half the words are misspelled.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,003,643 times
Besides the stupid nicknames like those above (*******, repug, etc), I will skip if a paragrpah runs to 10-12 lines or the spelling/grammar is so bad it's almost unreadable. The older I get, the less patience I have for that sort of thing.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Normally it is certain posters that cause me to skip a thread or a post, why attempt a discussion with someone that is not really interested in discussing anything unless you totally agree with their POV. It is called using personal ignore.
Casper

Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
If a thread is started just to inflame or bait others into a pointless divisive argument( race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion), I'll generally skip it. Usually the troll poster has a pretty low user reputation telling me they just got on the boards or created a new user name. I also figure that they pobably are not who they say they are and most likely oppose whatever viewpoint they pretend to support. They just want to discredit the other side and create a negative opinion of them and hope they gain some traction. Many of these threads are done to bog the board down and channel it away from serious dicussion of real issues.
Sometime you get a thread that is so twisted you can tell the person believes it and if you've seen them around you have to call them on it.
Another warning sign is a reference to fringe kook media sources, Daily KOS, Huffington Post, MSNBC, Glenn Beck,etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
The words us against the conspiacy comes to mind.Mostly the us which seldom really applies.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM

139 posts, read 260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm with you there and the right wing stupidity runs ramped on this site. That's what makes it fun
When the author labels something or someone as stupid yet doesn't possess basic spelling skills.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
If a poster can't even recognize their opponents as "worthy adversaries," the post, probably all of them, is getting skipped.

If anyone mentions "drinking kool-aid", the post is getting skipped.

"Sheeple" gets skipped.

"*******," "Obamabot," and the like gets skipped.

Have useful point, make a valid argument, treat those who disagree with respect, then your post will be read and respected. I don't post very often on this forum because actual intellectual, valid, reasoned arguments are almost nonexistent. It really makes me worry about the voting public and the poor reasoning skills by which they choose candidates.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
When it starts with "Why does..." followed by an obviously wrong statement. Also those where half the words are misspelled.
Yup. I'll add, threads that start with "Why" anything. It's presumptuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Besides the stupid nicknames like those above (*******, repug, etc), I will skip if a paragrpah runs to 10-12 lines or the spelling/grammar is so bad it's almost unreadable. The older I get, the less patience I have for that sort of thing.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Normally it is certain posters that cause me to skip a thread or a post, why attempt a discussion with someone that is not really interested in discussing anything unless you totally agree with their POV. It is called using personal ignore.
Casper
Yup. Some posters basically don't "fight fair". They use snide jabs at people that the mods might not agree are personal attacks, but that certainly violate the TOS that says "Be civil". They use terms such as "See, . . . ", or "Ooooh. . . ", etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A proven Obamabot unwilling to discuss but only regurgitating Daily KOS and Media Matters talking points.

Actually some people just get tired of repeating our posts for 6 months and are uwilling to spoonfeed certain posters who feel they are "entitled" to have it all explained and linked again.
Aye, you gotta watch out for Obamabots. A quick way to be sure is to see if they never post anything negative about him. He's never wrong, and makes no mistakes. Here's a link to a post of someone who is clearly anti-Obama and calling him out for supporting a bad law.

Obama getting it done; taking your freedom away.

As you can see, that person is clearly not an Obamabot. Except, that's thread was started by me... and it's anti-Obama....so that makes what you just called me..... Dead wrong.

ROFL @ "Obamabot", by the way. Sounds like a term for a sub-class of sheeple.

P.S. Obamagolfmaster and Palindon'thatemommabear is also hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
If a poster can't even recognize their opponents as "worthy adversaries," the post, probably all of them, is getting skipped.

If anyone mentions "drinking kool-aid", the post is getting skipped.

"Sheeple" gets skipped.

"*******," "Obamabot," and the like gets skipped.

Have useful point, make a valid argument, treat those who disagree with respect, then your post will be read and respected. I don't post very often on this forum because actual intellectual, valid, reasoned arguments are almost nonexistent. It really makes me worry about the voting public and the poor reasoning skills by which they choose candidates.

Oh god the Kool-aid one.... forgot that one .. Yeah, that's skippable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yup.

Yup. I'll add, threads that start with "Why" anything. It's presumptuous.

Yup.

Yup. Some posters basically don't "fight fair". They use snide jabs at people that the mods might not agree are personal attacks, but that certainly violate the TOS that says "Be civil". They use terms such as "See, . . . ", or "Ooooh. . . ", etc.
Or, Once you realize.....once you comprehend....once you understand...once you pull your head out of your ass.... I've seen a lot of those
They all either mean "Once you're not an idiot, or once you agree with me."

Last edited by 70Ford; 05-19-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.