Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,655,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I would probabbly actively support gay marriage if the gays were trying to get the government out of marriage all together. Hetereo or homo.

I don't see why I should support a group that wants special breaks from the government because they choose to get married. Why shouldn't the marrieds pay their fair share? Just like single people.
Truly bizarre thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,990,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
then how come it keeps loosing when put to a vote even in super liberal states. (I'm pretty sure it couldn't even pass a vote in NYC)
They lose because the other side is very adept at spinning lies and scaring voters into voting the other way. that's what happened in Calif and Maine with the mormon and catholic churches constantly insinuating that gays were child molesters, demons, etc. I also suspect that younger voters who might be pro-equality don't vote as frequently as older voters (anti equality).

Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,511,862 times
Gallup confirms: For first time, most Americans favor gay marriage | News Story on 365gay.com

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They lose because the other side is very adept at spinning lies and scaring voters into voting the other way. that's what happened in Calif and Maine with the mormon and catholic churches constantly insinuating that gays were child molesters, demons, etc. I also suspect that younger voters who might be pro-equality don't vote as frequently as older voters (anti equality).
In some areas of the country, the younger generation are against gay marriages too.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post

you obliviously aren't from NY it would only win in Manhattan, and would get slaughtered in Brooklyn. The only way it would pass is with 70%+ from Asians.

no one is denying gays the right to marry, a gay man could could marry any almost any woman he wants.

and if gay marriage is allowed why shouldn't incest be allowed, isn't that also discriminatory.

you very funny man.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,291,148 times
This is a topic that I didn't support in the past. However, in recent years gay marriages fell to the bottom of any concerns that I may have had before. The world, and our nation, has so many problems to contend with, that are of such higher priority. . . and, frankly, it's kinda' nice that marriage is still valued.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Exit polls also showed many more liberals vote in California than conservatives. Yet, gay marriage was still rejected.

Same as in Maine and Oregon.

I'm looking at how people vote. Not what they say.

It's clear liberals are not for gay marriage.
Do you have any stats to back your point?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Yes, in 31 states, the voters have passed amendments to keep marriage between a man and a woman. Mississippi had the highest, something 86% of Mississippians voted to keep marriage as man-woman. Even among those aged 18-29, over 80% of them in the age group voted to ban homosexual marriage.

why on earth would you want to compare yourself with mississippi? they're dead last in everything.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,655,207 times
Quote:
Do you have any stats to back your point?
No. All they have is their suspicion, paranoia, and cynicism.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM

28,077 posts, read 29,924,749 times
Quote:
The LDS Church was definitely opposed to same-sex marriage. As a Mormon myself, I do not agree with my Church's stance on this issue, and wish they had not gotten involved. They did not, however, ever insinuate that gays are "child molesters" or "demons," so as justifiably angry as their involvment in Prop 8 may make you feel, exaggerating does little to help the situation.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-20-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies