Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,135,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
While thanking Obama for his commitment to peace, Netanyahu said he “expects to hear from President Obama a reconfirmation of commitments to Israel from 2004 that received wide support in both houses of Congress.” This was a reference to a letter from president George W. Bush to prime minister Ariel Sharon that did not call for a return to the 1967 lines, and that recognized that any agreement would take into account the changed realities on the ground – a line interpreted by Israel to mean a recognition that it would hold on to the large settlement blocs.

Netanyahu’s statement also said that the Bush letter made clear that Palestinian refugees would be absorbed in a future Palestinian state, something that was not explicitly mentioned in Obama’s speech.

'Obama says Netanyahu unable to m... JPost - Diplomacy & Politics
I think that Obama doesn't realize that that letter existed and that the Israelis have any right to expect a foreign policy that is consistent. He really believes he can settle this thing by mandate which makes me wonder if he understands that mandates aren't accepted by people who you can't force to accept them.

Also, I think that Obama doesn't really think that what the Congress of 2004 did has anything to do with the present time since he is not acceptant of the powers of Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Used by us???
So I suppose they had no interest in keeping Israel safe; they were only fighting wars and executing skirmishes because America told them to do it?

Please, don't make me laugh so hard.
The Six Day War was fought by Israel to make some sense out of their borders and in the fashion a trapped animal always will fight. They used some very outdated and inefficient weapons in that one but also some very modern ones that I don't think even our leaders knew about. Yes they did that one to defend themselves but they knew that we would be there to help if they couldn't handle it. Now they can't expect any real help until we get a different President.

Oh yes, they have used us but that works both ways whether you and Obama can see it or not.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,496,554 times
He's talking bollix. As they'd say in the UK.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe you need to point out how we ever get anyone to trust us as allies if we back out of support for the Israelis. 50 years ago I wondered if we weren't being a bit stupid for the support but in that period of time I have come to think that they are our buffer against the Muslims of the Middle East. They tend to keep the attention of the Arabs so they aren't after us. I may be wrong but I have been watching this thing from its inception and that has been about 63 years.
I'm sorry, but I find even the idea of surrendering to the whims to Israeli government, their intolerance towards Arabs/Palestinians, their expansionist ideologies, their desire to suppress people much less their freedoms much less the image of licking their boots just so that they can be called our allies. A good friend listens, provides constructive feedback, never disrespects. And Israel has proven, time and time again that it is NOT that. Now, if you have religious reasons to support Israel, I understand, but please refrain from making my country a pawn, a support system to that effect. Thank you.

Quote:
Obama was so happy when the Egyptians began the Arab Spring and so sure that they were shooting at democracy. However, I think that the Muslim Brotherhood and the military who are running the place managed very well to set up a new dictatorship that will be run by the Brotherhood with the people of Egypt not in any better position.

As for the Arab Spring in Libya, it seems to me that the people of the nation are going to continue to suffer when a new dictatorship is established. People don't just accept democracy as easily as Obama seems to think. I wonder if he actually realizes how much of our democratic system has disappeared the last 2 1/2 years.
And you have a problem with that? Let them deal with it. Why do YOU care?

Quote:
I have to disagree with you for the reason that Muslims hate the US. I think that those who accept the teachings of Islam really think that we must be destroyed the same as Israel but they want to use force against Israel and intend to destroy us from inside, politically. Do you intend to keep on helping them until they come for your head?
There is no better way for war mongers to promote their interests than to create enemies. And there is no easier way to create enemies than to polarize based on religion. If you see Muslims being America's enemies, you're doing that job well.

As far as religion based destruction goes, I've read the Bible in its entirety several times, and came across several accounts where societies and communities were destined to be and destroyed for not following the whims of a strange God. It was deemed okay to kill all but the women and children and to loot the possessions of the infidels. Have you not come across such shameful instances in your readings of the Bible that you accuse other religions of it?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What are you talking about?

How are they a buffer against the muslims?

Israel is teeny-tiny in land mass compared to the rest of the middle east, which is almost 100% muslim.

Please, I beg you, enlighten me.
Why have all those Muslims waited so long to destroy Israel? Is it only because they are so small or is it that they know how to fight, will fight, and will probably win since they can take at least as many Muslims with them as the Muslims kill. We have known this since 1967 and the way the Israelis handled those Muslims so handily. We have helped them more since that time than before and I see it as using them to hold the Muslims of the area at bay.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,293,065 times
Quote:
I think you need to read the post that preceded yours from geeoro. It seems to me that that one has all the real answers in it and, of course, those words come from a European person who seems to know more about that place than most people here do.

If you haven't read anything about how the Syrians used the Golan Heights to attack the Israelis and murder the people who lived in the settlements of that day maybe you need to.

I also wonder if you failed to see the Israelis removed some people from some settlements in a unilateral way a couple or so years ago. They have given as much as they are likely to give with all those Muslim nations sending people over their borders lately.
Did you read the part where I said "land swaps"?

It keeps the indefensible locations within Israel, while swapping land that can be defended against.

But its far from the mumbled areas that Israel lets Palestinians occupy now. They deserve their own country.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,293,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Land is "owned" by whatever group occupies and can exercise property rights.
Unless the United States and United Nations say so.

I guess we should have let Saddam Hussein stay in Kuwait, right?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Unless the United States and United Nations say so.

I guess we should have let Saddam Hussein stay in Kuwait, right?
Ouch!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,982,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sorry, but I find even the idea of surrendering to the whims to Israeli government, their intolerance towards Arabs/Palestinians, their expansionist ideologies, their desire to suppress people much less their freedoms much less the image of licking their boots just so that they can be called our allies. A good friend listens, provides constructive feedback, never disrespects. And Israel has proven, time and time again that it is NOT that. Now, if you have religious reasons to support Israel, I understand, but please refrain from making my country a pawn, a support system to that effect. Thank you.
Really, nicely said. So, do I have your permission
to just cut & paste this post on any future Israel threads

Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Really, nicely said. So, do I have your permission
to just cut & paste this post on any future Israel threads
Gladly, and thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies