U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,599,431 times
Reputation: 870

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
This comment was extreme. I do not see a fetus as a child who's body is being ripped apart, but you're entitled to your opinion. In any event, I still think the law is a waste. Pro-choice, anti-abortion, do you really think this is helping anything? Forcing a woman (unless she's been raped, molested or carrying a disabled child) to look at a sonogram? I am sure many woman have changed their minds about whether or not to have an abortion. I don't think forcing her to look at a sonogram is necessary.
My comment is factual. The fact that you don't see a "fetus" as a child is irrelevant. I can say I don't see the earth as being a sphere, but rather flat. That belief doesn't change facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
 
753 posts, read 432,188 times
Reputation: 433
How about that financial responsibility. Good God, this is ridiculous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 2,414,138 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe it will make some women think twice before treating abortion like a form of contraceptive.
Having 2-3 abortions by the time you're 20 should raise flags..even to the pro abortion folks.
Young people today are not giving serious thought to PREVENTION.
I agree that abortion should not be used as a form of birth control but I still think this law is a waste. Anyone who uses abortion as a form of birth control probably won't be affected by looking at a fetus that resembles a bean. As a mother, I've seen what an 8 week old fetus looks like and it does not look like a baby. I was attached to it because I planned on having a child not because I saw its features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
 
29,989 posts, read 35,241,395 times
Reputation: 12713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Sure but this isn't about educating the patient. If that were the case, all of the women that were getting abortions would have to look at the sonograms, and there would be no exceptions.
Your opinion. This is a state matter of how each state handles it, not a national one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 2,414,138 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
My comment is factual. The fact that you don't see a "fetus" as a child is irrelevant. I can say I don't see the earth as being a sphere, but rather flat. That belief doesn't change facts.
Your comment about a zygote being a child is factual? I don't think so. I suppose an ovum and sperm cell are children as well. Men should stop wasting their children in the shower or on bath towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,599,431 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Your comment about a zygote being a child is factual? I don't think so. I suppose an ovum and sperm cell are children as well. Men should stop wasting their children in the shower or on bath towels.
That's sophomoric. Sperm cells and ova are components of what is required to make a new life. They are haploid cells and no fertilization occurs until sperm and ovum unite.
You tend to think that, unless something looks like what you believe it should look like, then it can't be what it is. Tell me, what magically happens to make the "zygote" a human after the first trimester? Is it because you can see things that look familiar to you at that point? Weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 2,414,138 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
That's sophomoric. Sperm cells and ova are components of what is required to make a new life. They are haploid cells and no fertilization occurs until sperm and ovum unite.
You tend to think that, unless something looks like what you believe it should look like, then it can't be what it is. Tell me, what magically happens to make the "zygote" a human after the first trimester? Is it because you can see things that look familiar to you at that point? Weak.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion. The fact is that the supreme court ruled that abortion is legal and gave women the right to make this choice.
My post was about a state law. If you want to debate about abortion and make condescending remarks about people that disagree with your opinions, do whatever floats your boat.

Using scientific terms to describe the human reproductive process does not substantiate your claim that a zygote is a child, nor does it change my opinion of this ridiculous law. If you want to convert those who are pro-choice to anti-abortionists, the holier than thou attitude isn't going to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM
 
13,474 posts, read 13,680,051 times
Reputation: 11094
making women view an ultrasound is an attempt at guilt and hoping to give them second thoughts. women are not stupid, we know what abortion is and do not need to see an ultrasound to help us make up our minds. abortion is a woman's choice, between her and her doctor all else can stay out of it unless you are willing to help her support her child for 18 years should she give birth to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,599,431 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Again, you are entitled to your opinion. The fact is that the supreme court ruled that abortion is legal and gave women the right to make this choice.
My post was about a state law. If you want to debate about abortion and make condescending remarks about people that disagree with your opinions, do whatever floats your boat.

Using scientific terms to describe the human reproductive process does not substantiate your claim that a zygote is a child, nor does it change my opinion of this ridiculous law. If you want to convert those who are pro-choice to anti-abortionists, the holier than thou attitude isn't going to get it.
How about actually debating some of the items I mentioned? You can't do that, so you try to find something else you think is a good straw man argument.
Yeah, and the Supreme Court has never gotten anything wrong before, has it? If you want to mention condescension, then you may want to attend a "pro-choice" rally. You'll get plenty of it there if you disagree with them.
I don't get your objection to "scientific terms". What didn't you understand? It's not like I was discussing the electron transport chain in mitochondria or something.
Lastly, I'm not out to convert anyone. Go ahead and wallow in ignorance due to fear of facing the truth. I really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,599,431 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
making women view an ultrasound is an attempt at guilt and hoping to give them second thoughts. women are not stupid, we know what abortion is and do not need to see an ultrasound to help us make up our minds. abortion is a woman's choice, between her and her doctor all else can stay out of it unless you are willing to help her support her child for 18 years should she give birth to it
Yeah because we should all be forced to support a woman's "right" to open her legs and be irresponsible, right? Also, have you ever heard of adoption?
I'd like to have a loud and obnoxious sector of the population screaming and yelling that I should be able to kill someone and have it only be between myself and my doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top